WANTED 1968 new yorker headlight switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting, i am back to the start of this thread, if anyone has a headlight switch for sale, for a 1968 Chrysler please let me know. If it does not help i will rip the car apart in search of the problem. I will plug the switch back in tomorrow and wiggle the grap out of it while looking for stop lights. Will also check signal switch. thanks again scott

On the contrary, when I turn the headlights on in my ‘67, if I don’t see my dash light up I also don’t have brake lights. A quick jiggle of the headlight switch to see my dash light up and I know I have brake lights too. Something I’ve needed to address for some time now so I’m going to send @Devinism one or 2 of my extra headlight switches this week.
Scratch that, it’s just the taillights that are intermittent through the headlight switch now that I think about it. Well and the dash lights...

interesting, i am back to the start of this thread, if anyone has a headlight switch for sale, for a 1968 Chrysler please let me know. If it does not help i will rip the car apart in search of the problem. I will plug the switch back in tomorrow and wiggle the grap out of it while looking for stop lights. Will also check signal switch. thanks again scott
It’s your signal switch most likely. My apologies, I wasn’t thinking straight.

Please find a service manual with an electric schematic. It will show you where the power should be going to. It should also help you test your head light switch.
Free online service manuals here.
Print out the wire diagram and use colored pencils to trace your headlight and brake circuit. Then you will know for sure where to start looking before you tear everything apart.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference
Or for a laminated color diagram for sale here.
Classic Car Wiring . Com : Home of the original color laminated classic car wiring diagram

I traced the wires in my FSM. The writers go through the turn signal switch and had nothing to do with the headlight switch for the brake lights.
20200125_232231.jpg
20200125_232045.jpg
20200125_231942.jpg
20200125_231849.jpg

I broke out my FSM....
If your tail lamps still work but the brake lights dont work..........
B2 prong at headlamp switch has 2 pink wires.One goes to the fuse panel for stop and tail lamps.
The other goes directly to the brake pedal switch.
First place to check is power at fuse panel going to B2. Then check power going out of B2 to pink wire going directly to brake pedal switch.
Check both sides of the fuse--as mentioned.
If no power from headlight switch to pedal switch,jump a wire from the battery feed of fuse panel to pink wire at brake pedal.
Should work.
Then replace headlamp switch.
If no change then as mentioned,go deep into the TS switch.
Keep me posted.
PM me if any questions.

Scott,I do not have that part number,sorry.
Does your car have the Safety Sentinel lighting system??
Last spare went to Scotland for a member here.

Last edited:
I broke out my FSM....
If your tail lamps still work but the brake lights dont work..........
B2 prong at headlamp switch has 2 pink wires.One goes to the fuse panel for stop and tail lamps.
The other goes directly to the brake pedal switch.
First place to check is power at fuse panel going to B2. Then check power going out of B2 to pink wire going directly to brake pedal switch.
Check both sides of the fuse--as mentioned.
If no power from headlight switch to pedal switch,jump a wire from the battery feed of fuse panel to pink wire at brake pedal.
Should work.
Then replace headlamp switch.
If no change then as mentioned,go deep into the TS switch.
Keep me posted.
PM me if any questions.[/QUOT

Check your grounds, battery, rad support, firewall, motor, under dash etc, remove them and sand/clean to bare metal and then add a dab of di-electric grease and re-install, I believe the hi/lo beam switch also grounds through the floor so make sure that it is getting a good ground as well.

I plug the headlight switch in an initially had brake light on R side and running lights. This stopped quickly; Fiddling with the switch gave me brake light on the r side but no running lights. Unplugged the switch and I have brake lights on right.

I have 14V coming out of the pink wires at the switch harness, 13V at the fuse box. 13V at the right brake lights with switch unplugged, 0 at the left. The left side was always a problem burning out bulbs.

My conclusion is the switch is bad and I have a separate problem from the fuse box to the L side lights?

Thoughts?

With headlight switch unplugged -which creates an open circuit-there should be no brake lights.
System is back feeding and the TS switch is the most plausible culprit.
Replace headlight switch and then test the circuits going in and out of turn signal switch.
As a process of elimination unplug the hazard switch when testing.
Clean the grounds on the left side bulb sockets.Use jupper wires to ground if you have to.
Hope this helps.

With headlight switch unplugged -which creates an open circuit-there should be no brake lights.
System is back feeding and the TS switch is the most plausible culprit.
Replace headlight switch and then test the circuits going in and out of turn signal switch.
As a process of elimination unplug the hazard switch when testing.
Clean the grounds on the left side bulb sockets.Use jupper wires to ground if you have to.
Hope this helps.

Sound like a plan, just to be clear when you say replace headlight switch you mean with a new one? Then start testing.
scott

I may have a spare headlight switch... I will check later this afternoon

Here are some photos of the turn signal. I must have none at least one thing wrong, as you can see, the plastic piece with the copper ring was grinding and everything is covered in metal dust. There is also a contact that takes a spring on one side and a solder point on the other, not the horn pin. Perhaps i installed the spring on the wrong side. The wires are a little pinched but i don't think they were grounding.

h1.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

I've never actually done a turn signal switch so you've got one on me there. I will say that I like the color, most turquoise metallic. My first NYer was that color inside and out also.

Well it's my step sons car, so i'll let him know you like the color, i do too. I only get to spend hours working on it. Lucky right.
scott

John..go deeper,LOL!!
Fig 9 page 8-93! LOL!
Cbarge - Ok, you got me on that one. I started at the brake lights and worked backwards. I stopped at the turn signal switch instead of going all the way to the power source. The power actually doesn't go through the headlight switch for the brakes, but it does for the taillights. If the connector got hot and melted maybe the two pink wires aren't making good contact any more.
Scott, did you say early on that you changed something with the headlights?

Cbarge - Ok, you got me on that one. I started at the brake lights and worked backwards. I stopped at the turn signal switch instead of going all the way to the power source. The power actually doesn't go through the headlight switch for the brakes, but it does for the taillights. If the connector got hot and melted maybe the two pink wires aren't making good contact any more.
Scott, did you say early on that you changed something with the headlights?

Yes, the headlights, were heating up the switch, i plugged in a aftermarket plug in harness that has relays in it because i was sure the new headlight's were causing the problem. Your going to ask me if i unplugged the harness and checked the brake light again. I am embarrassed to say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back