1968 Plymouth Fury III - Accelerator cable and heater core

spottedzebra

Reaction score
Hey guys first post here to the forum. I have had my 68 Fury III for about 2 years now. She has been under the knife for the last 16 months getting a full engine rebuild and front suspension rebuild. I fired her off yesterday for the first time since the rebuild and everything seemed to go ok except the heater core sprung a leak and it made a puddle in the passenger side floor board.

Two things that I need are a new accelerator cable and the heater core. The heater core needs to be one that would come with the A/C option as I have the compressor (doesn't currently work) and I plan to fix it. I also need a new accelerator cable. I think I bent the current one when I was reinstalling the engine and I have rigged right now so I can start and tune but I won't be taking on the street in the current condition.

I have looked around a bit at all of the usual places (summitracing, rockauto, yearone) and none of them seem to have a specific accelerator cable for this car. I have also checked with the local auto parts stores but to no avail.

I would also like to have a new heater core so I can get back on the path to putting her on the street and I can get the other one rebuilt.

If you are nice I might hunt down some rebuild pics.

Not sure about the heater core but as far as I know those accelerator cables are only available used. For a while I managed to use a universal cable setup from Spectre,but they are nowhere near as tough as the factory Mopar units.If you can't locate a good used one you may want to try something from Lokar but it will probably cost somewhere upwards of $75.

I would say ebay on both. There are many people here parting out cbodies. I would imagine any one should work if close to your year.there is a throttle cable on ebay right now. 66-74. 127.00 bucksbut sometimes you ddon't have a choice. Type in 1968 chrysler throttle and it will come up.

That heater core is a spendy one - it's a two core side-by-side setup. I think someone has tooled up to start making them again, but I can't swear to it.
Mike

I recently bought a new heater core and the flow control valve that mounts right up in there with the heater core, the two parts are sold separately. I got them both from Classic Auto Air, a bit pricey but I had to have them. I think they were somewhere around $400

I think we lost him...........

I think we lost him...........

I'm not gone. I spent the whole weekend working on the car and I have to work to pay for parts. I do have the body back on finally.

For now I have by-passed the heater core so I can still drive the car. I have read that it is a pretty big undertaking (read: pain in the ***) to remove it but I think I know a guy that can fix it once I get it out.

As for the accelerator cable I have continued to look for one used but have not had luck yet. I should probably remove the one I have so I can measure a proper length but I am moving forward not back right now so I wrapped a piece of lawn mower fuel line around it and clamped it back down.

Now as promised:
http://imgur.com/a/fWVzu#0
http://imgur.com/a/dd4DT#100

The second set is in reverse order (sorry about that) so I started it at the end. Also there are some pictures of me shirtless (sorry about that as well), it gets hot in the midwest in the summer.

My phone started to crap out on me towards the end of this part of the rebuild so there are more pictures and video on another phone.

cable

It might. How much would it cost to find out?

$35.00 plus shipping from Raleigh, NC. You get the cable & the pedal. In very good condition. PM me please if interested.

69 fury gas pedal.jpg

69 Fury.jpg

I bought one from year one that said it fit A bodies but would work on a BB C body. Well, 1 3/4" too long! Took it to County Cycles in Pinellas Park and they shortened it. Works great!! I'm waiting on another new one from Ottawa, if it fits, I'll let you know. The length I believe is 20". Cheers.

Rockauto.com lists two heater cores for '68 Fury. Good prices too! Unfortunately, both are listed as non-AC. Sorry.

Back