1968 Polara Police Car Question and Opinions Needed

moparsteve

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am looking at several cars to purchase for our salvage business and one is a 1968 Polara that I was not really thinking anything about until I looked at the VIN and discovered it is a factory 440HP Police Car. This is a true police car with the VIN PK41L8B and has the second fender tag saying "special paint". This is a fairly complete pretty solid rolling body but the engine and transmission are long gone. It is also very strangely optioned with power disc brakes, a/c, rear defrost but MANUAL STEERING and radio delete? My question is is there a following for a car like this or is it just another 4 door parts car? I did not want to start parting it out there is an interest out there as a builder so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

Cool find. Can you post pictures of the tags?

(PK41L8B...are you sure this isn't PK41L8D?)

The desirability of the police package will depend on what department in what state actually used the car, as a vague example, CHP cars command a petty penny if you can prove the car was used in that capacity. So having a tag while useful is only part of the story. If some search can be done on the history of its use then some more knowledgeable blokes here on the forum will be able to give you the low down on just how sought after it is.

Hello Everyone, I am looking at several cars to purchase for our salvage business and one is a 1968 Polara that I was not really thinking anything about until I looked at the VIN and discovered it is a factory 440HP Police Car. This is a true police car with the VIN PK41L8B and has the second fender tag saying "special paint". This is a fairly complete pretty solid rolling body but the engine and transmission are long gone. It is also very strangely optioned with power disc brakes, a/c, rear defrost but MANUAL STEERING and radio delete? My question is is there a following for a car like this or is it just another 4 door parts car? I did not want to start parting it out there is an interest out there as a builder so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

Steve,

This is a rare MoPar police vehicle. There is a following for MoPar cop cars, and this is a rare one. As usual the engine and transmission are AWOL,..a common case.

I'd deduct 15% for the missing engine and transmission. Without seeing any photos of the car it's hard to establish a value, but it DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT BE SCRAPPED.

If you can find out what agency/State/county it served in, that would help add to the estimated value.

If it's a decent car, with minor rust, and all other parts remaining, I'd value it from $1500 to $2000, depending on condition.

Post some photos so we can give you a better opinion.

FP

68 polara police.jpg

I just did the initial clean up on the body and will be cleaning and stripping the interior tomorrow. The car looks to have been originally blue with silver panels on the side. It looks like the car was an original Nevada State Police car as there is a sticker in the driver side jamb stating "Property State of Nevada" and there is also a sticker right below that with the dealer info. I pulled the rear seat and there is no build sheet (looks like there was never one). The car made its way to Arkansas probably in the early 70's and the last inspection sticker is 1975. The car is rough in some places but is mostly complete (less engine) but is very buildable. I have looked online and cannot find any pictures of a 1968 Polara in Nevada HP colors so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

DSCN9762.jpg

DSCN9763.jpg

DSCN9764.jpg

DSCN9765.jpg

DSCN9766.jpg

DSCN9767.jpg

DSCN9768.jpg

DSCN9770.jpg

DSCN9771.jpg

DSCN9772.jpg

I will not strip of scrap the car as I recognize it as piece of Mopar police car history and not many are remaining. This car most certainly needs to be restored to its original Nevada State Police configuration.

I will not strip of scrap the car as I recognize it as piece of Mopar police car history and not many are remaining. This car most certainly needs to be restored to its original Nevada State Police configuration.

I know some people that might be able to help with the Nevada Highway Patrol aspects.

I will see what I can track down for contact info, it might be easier for me to give them your info.

Alan

Hello Alan, I would greatly appreciate any help from someone that knows these Nevada State Police cars. I have sent you a PM with my contact info.
Thanks, Steve

Back