1968 water valve NOT auto temp.

stain

Reaction score
I think my 68 New Yorker needs a water valve. I cannot shut off the heat. Hot water flows through it no matter the position of the lever. The lever on the valve does move.
My question is, do the Ranco water valves work and last OK or it it better to find an N.O.S. one? They seem to similar in price.

I think my 68 New Yorker needs a water valve. I cannot shut off the heat. Hot water flows through it no matter the position of the lever. The lever on the valve does move.
My question is, do the Ranco water valves work and last OK or it it better to find an N.O.S. one? They seem to similar in price.
Ranco makes a good valve. If factory appearance is your goal, go with a factory unit. Be advised many of the NOS factory valves are reproductions made in China, so that is something to consider.

Dave

Thanks. I will probably order the Ranco. The other option is a rebuild.

There should be an old thread in here about rebuilding those water valves. Using a Volvo rebuild kit.

If possible, get a new Ranco valve. They supply the OEMs and have for years, so their quality should be good. Then search for that thread and rebuild your valve for a spare.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back