1969 chrysler 300 front brake lines

dmac01

Reaction score
hey everyone...long time lurker, infrequent poster...but thanks for the good info when I do post!

So I had my 300 vert on on the road the other day and saw intermittent brake light flash on/off. Re-bled the brakes and finally traced the problem to a cracked in the right front brake line.

Seems simple to replace, but the part i sourced from summit racing was no where near the length and bends needed. So...anyone know of a good source for this part or is it a diy project?

The local napa parts shop does NOT have the length needed so it looked like i would have to start with their longest line, 5 footer and bend it till i needed to join to a second section. The counter guy said this is doable, with a connector. Has anyone done this before as I thought these lines have to be one piece?

Any advice or thoughts would be welcome!
thanks,
Dave

Your local parts store should also have a coil of the right size line in 20 ft or so lengths.

Check local stores, places that repair hydraulic lines (snow plow repair) that's how I got new lines for my car.

thanks for the replies! If inline tube does not have them I will try the 20ft roll and diy! I have not done this type of work before so should prove interesting LOL.

thanks,
Dave

thanks for the replies! If inline tube does not have them I will try the 20ft roll and diy! I have not done this type of work before so should prove interesting LOL.

thanks,
Dave

Be sure that all fittings are double flared as this is essential so that the lines do not blow out of the fittings on a panic stop. If the lines on your vehicle are rusted, that would be a good indication that it is time to replace them all.

Dave

yes, I probably should do the rear line too, just to be sure. And will double-flair the fittings. good reminder, thanks!

yes, I probably should do the rear line too, just to be sure. And will double-flair the fittings. good reminder, thanks!

I suggest you practice your double-flare craftsmanship several times on short lengths of scrap tubing until you gain perfection. It's not hard, but there is a technique to getting the cone just right and without crackking the tubing where it folds over itself. I imagine Utoob world has plenty of how-to vids.

For that matter, you might also want to practice making kink-free bends using whatever bender kit you prefer. Then you'll be a pro when you make your nice replacement part.

Good luck!

more great tips! thanks! will post a pic when new lines are "crafted"...lol.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

:D

more great tips! thanks! will post a pic when new lines are "crafted"...lol.

Also, and it's a small thing, use a drop or two of brake fluid as a lube on the tool's flaring die and the tubing during the flaring operation. Allows the surfaces to slide on each other....

Back