1969 Chrysler front drum and wheel questions

RDHOG

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to get my new Cragar SS wheels to fit the front of my 1969 Chrysler 300 with drum brakes. Has anyone add a 1 in spacer to get wheels to fit or can I get new drums?

20230505_123718.jpg

20230505_134117.jpg

20230505_134214.jpg

20230505_134218.jpg

You can use a much thinner spacer. IIRC, a 1/4" spacer does the job.

Just thinking about this... If you took a handful of 1/2" washers. you could stack them up on 2 of the lugs (across from each other), mount the wheel and figure out just how thick the spacer should be.

It definitely won't be an inch...

Based on your photo, if the threaded lugs do not protrude thru the wheel your wheels are way off. Is the wheel OFFSET correct for a 69 Chrysler 300?

Last edited:
They are the original drums and the Cragar rims would not sit flat because of the shape of the drum. So I just got these 1 inch spacers they seem like it will work.

20230508_170209.jpg

Orion Motor Tech 5x4.5 Wheel Spacers, 1 Inch Spacers with 1/2-20 Studs Compatible with Jeep Wrangler TJ YJ Grand Cherokee Ford Explorer Mustang Ranger, 82.5mm Center Bore Wheel Spacer Kit Set of 2 https://a.co/d/0ZrX3RP

When you put 1” spacer between the wheel and the drum, you are changing the geometry of the suspension. The load will not be coming evenly on the bearing anymore, but instead on the edge of the bearing, or even slightly beside the edge. Causing rapid wear on one side of the bearing.
Prepare to change them sooner than expected.

(Using a too small diameter tire will have the same effect. I experienced this on my father’s car some fortyfive years ago. Did the math as my physics assignment.)

depending on the width and backspacing of the rim compared to the original one ....

They are the original drums and the Cragar rims would not sit flat because of the shape of the drum. So I just got these 1 inch spacers they seem like it will work.

View attachment 595739

Glad it's working for you.

One would anticipate possible balancing problems when going from a factory steel hub centric wheel to a non-hub centric adaptor and then to a non-hub centric unilug wheel.

The available new 69 front drums would be an option if you're not thrilled with the adaptors. That's if you don't mind divorcing the drum from the hub. Got to be done sooner or later anyway.

Orion Motor Tech 5x4.5 Wheel Spacers, 1 Inch Spacers with 1/2-20 Studs Compatible with Jeep Wrangler TJ YJ Grand Cherokee Ford Explorer Mustang Ranger, 82.5mm Center Bore Wheel Spacer Kit Set of 2 https://a.co/d/0ZrX3RP
Thanks for the info. I used US Wheel Adapter that are also for a Jeep except 1 1/2 spacer.

Glad it's working for you.

One would anticipate possible balancing problems when going from a factory steel hub centric wheel to a non-hub centric adaptor and then to a non-hub centric unilug wheel.

The available new 69 front drums would be an option if you're not thrilled with the adaptors. That's if you don't mind divorcing the drum from the hub. Got to be done sooner
depending on the width and backspacing of the rim compared to the original one ....

That's what I figure. Wider and more backspace puts me in the same place as without the spacer and original wheel.

Don’t Cragars use some kind of special long shank lug? I remember them totally different from acorn type. You put washers under the head (think a bolts head) to adjust for height. I hated them on my 66 dart but they were the only guys that made a cool 14x7 for small bolt pattern that was readily available back then. Only real problem was finding the long shank left hand tread lugs. I loved them and hated them at the same time. They look great too.

9AD5C8F9-9794-4B03-AE16-00507AAFE0CF.png

Back