Correct Wheel Studs etc.?

Aquaman

Reaction score
I am redoing all my brakes and am working on the front drums now. I purchased new drums Raybestos 1924R.

I am looking for the correct studs. After researching parts I purchased Dorman 610-134 studs. They don't seem correct when I test fit one. Loose in the hole and the un-threaded shoulder seems too long.

It is for a 68 Newport 11in drums.

Any advice / help is appreciated.

Last edited:
How did you remove the old studs?

Did you cut the swedge off first?

If not you may have ruined the hub and that's why the stud is loose.

Last edited:
How did you remove the old studs?

Did you cut the wedge off first?

If not you may have ruined the hub and that's why the stud is loose.
These are for NEW Drums. I am not even trying to reuse the old ones. Thanks

Ron / Aquaman.,
Aside from being Chineseum warpable garbage Brake Drums --- a 1924 Brake Drum --- is 11 " x 2 3 / 4 " .......
If you have a 1968 Chrysler Newport --- way more often than not --- you have 11 " x 3 " --- and N O T 11 " x 2 3 / 4 "...
------ Isn't that Brake Drum you purchased TOO narrow ????

Keep in mind, a Brake Drum is " named " by the width of the Brake Shoe , and N O T the overall depth , as the Brake Shoe does not ride
Lip - to - Lip inside the Brake Drum.....

So, what you need to do First, is assess whether or not you have the correct Brake Drum --- you will undoubtedly notice that you do not.....

Fortunately for you ---- I have *** N.O.S. *** U.S.A. made ***Brake Drums *** , *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes ( Not many ) *** , Every
Conceivable 100 % correct Right Front Wheel Stud , and 99.7 % of LEFTY Front Wheel Studs......

Craig.....

Last edited:
Just so we are on the same page, the studs press into the hub, not the drums.
You are correct! I have been away from doing any of this old Mopar stuff for some time.

I need to rethink what I am doing and will be back with more questions.

I appreciate all the information.

Ron / Aquaman.,
Aside from being Chineseum warpable garbage Brake Drums --- a 1924 Brake Drum --- is 11 " x 2 3 / 4 " .......
If you have a 1968 Chrysler Newport --- way more often than not --- you have 11 " x 3 " --- and N O T 11 " x 2 3 / 4 "...
------ Isn't that Brake Drum you purchased TOO narrow ????

Keep in mind, a Brake Drum is " named " by the width of the Brake Shoe , and N O T the overall depth , as the Brake Shoe does not ride
Lip - to - Lip inside the Brake Drum.....

So, what you need to do First, is assess whether or not you have the correct Brake Drum --- you will undoubtedly notice that you do not.....

Fortunately for you ---- I have *** N.O.S. *** U.S.A. made ***Brake Drums *** , *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Brake Shoes ( Not many ) *** , Every
Conceivable 100 % correct Right Front Wheel Stud , and 99.7 % of LEFTY Front Wheel Studs......

Craig.....
This is a base 1968 Newport 4 door Hard Top

I have measured the original drums coming off and they measure 3". The shoes/linings coming off that I think may be original measure 2 3/4".

Are you saying I can use 3" shoes on 3" drums?

The original shop manual says 2 3/4".

Things that make me say hum...

Don't think --- KNOW --- as the old phrase goes.....

If the Brake Drums and Brake Shoes are 11 " x 2 3/4 " --- you must use 11 " x 2 3/4 ".....

If the Brake Drums and Brake Shoes are 11 " x 3 " --- you must use 11 " x 3 "

The backing plates are different --- and an 11 " x 3 " Brake Drum will N O T fit on an 11 " x 2 3 / 4 " backing plate......
So, even though I am hundreds of miles away, I can BOLDLY Predict, reading between the lines, that you have marginally provided, is that ,

** I F ** you took off an 11 " x 3 " Brake Drum , you definitively have 11 " x 3 " Brake Drums and Brake Shoes ---
And the previous owner installed 11 " x 2 3 / 4 " Brake Shoes , either because he made a mistake, did not realize what he was doing , " figured " since that is what "they gave him " -- that was right, or could not find 11 " x 3 " Brake Shoes....... One of those four (4) scenarios is undoubtedly very likely ...... based on Your comments....

And, if you have indeed noticed yet, that the Chineseum warpable Brake Drums you purchased are too narrow, compared to the old ones you took off the vehicle --- as I had mentioned to you many days ago, they are Indeed Incorrect......

Craig......

Last edited:
Don't think --- KNOW --- as the old phrase goes.....

If the Brake Drums and Brake Shoes are 11 " x 2 3/4 " --- you must use 11 " x 2 3/4 ".....

If the Brake Drums and Brake Shoes are 11 " x 3 " --- you must use 11 " x 3 "

The backing plates are different --- and an 11 " x 3 " Brake Drum will N O T fit on an 11 " x 2 3 / 4 " backing plate......
So, even though I have hundreds of miles away, I can BOLDLY Predict, reading between the lines, that you have marginally provided, is that ,

** I F ** you took off an 11 " x 3 " Brake Drum , you definitively have 11 " x 3 " Brake Drums and Brake Shoes ---
And the previous owner installed 11 " x 2 3 / 4 " Brake Shoes , either because he made a mistake, did not realize what he was doing , " figured " since that is what "they gave him " -- that was right, or could not find 11 " x 3 " Brake Shoes....... One of those four (4) scenarios is undoubtedly very likely ...... based on Your comments....

And, if you have indeed noticed yet, that the Chineseum warpable Brake Drums you purchased are too narrow, compared to the old ones you took off the vehicle --- as I had mentioned to you many days ago, they are Indeed Incorrect......

Craig......
I am now quite confused. The Factory shop manual says 2 3/4" and you are saying 3".

Internal measurement on braking surface of old drums coming off is 3". The new drums I bought through RockAuto have a internal braking surface of 3".

If I am interpreting your message correctly I have coming off the car 3" drums with 2 3/4" shoes on a car the Factory Manual says should all be 2 2/4"?

I am not a professional tech and have done little drum brake work but did pass my ASE a few years ago with a 100% after taking a brakes class at the local CC. I am always open to learning, am starting a rehab of this car and need it to be SAFE.

Can anyone else help this 59 year old understand what Mobileparts is trying to impart to me here?

Last edited:
Measure the Brake Drum that came off the car from lip to lip.......
Measure the Chineseum Brake Drum (1924R) that you purchased from lip to lip.......

Put your phone number in the P.M. and I will walk you through what you NEED to do.....tomorrow / Wednesday .....

Measure the Brake Drum that came off the car from lip to lip.......
Measure the Chineseum Brake Drum (1924R) that you purchased from lip to lip.......

Put your phone number in the P.M. and I will walk you through what you NEED to do.....tomorrow / Wednesday .....
Message sent.

Message sent.
Here are photos and measurements of the drums cumming off and the new ones I bought. I measure 3" on both if I am measuring correctly.

The shoes/linings coming off are 2 3/4"

If this is all correctly measured I have 3" brakes and can use 3" shoes. Correct??

Please confirm.

20240320_153336.jpg

20240320_153451.jpg

20240320_153532.jpg

If this is all correctly measured I have 3" brakes and can use 3" shoes. Correct??
No. The drum width is always wider than the shoes.

A drum for a 2 3/4" wide shoes will use a drum that's approx. 3".

No. The drum width is always wider than the shoes.

A drum for a 2 3/4" wide shoes will use a drum that's approx. 3".
Thank you Big John! That is the information I have been looking for.

BTW - I pass very near Marcellus several times a week. I live in Canandaigua and work in Cicero. I would love to get together to pick your brain. Or just drink coffee, beer, Rye or whatever.

This is what I am working on to put back on the road. It is on the Watkins Glen track. It has been sitting in my barn in need of repairs / updates for 13 years. I have heat in the barn now and a big smile on my face to be doing this.

Below is a photo from ~15 years ago with my young son in the passenger seat - He is now a JetBlue pilot!

Chrysler @ Watkins Glen.JPG

BTW - I pass very near Marcellus several times a week. I live in Canandaigua and work in Cicero.
Yea, we'll have to get together one of these days..

I would love to get together to pick your brain.

I've got a quarter! You can help me pick a new one...

Brains.jpeg

I crack myself up sometimes.

:lol:

Hey poppledungeon3,
Never have seen or heard from you ever.....
What is your red x from the right field Foul bleachers for ..... did you hit it by mistake.....
You can't argue absolute facts except from a mental patient facility........Good bye......

Hey poppledungeon3,
Never have seen or heard from you ever.....
What is your red x from the right field Foul bleachers for ..... did you hit it by mistake.....
You can't argue absolute facts except from a mental patient facility........Good bye......

I countered the Red X twice Craig .. Some people!

Back