For Sale 1969 Chrysler New Yorker $5200 (Pretty Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not factory. JC Whitney add-on bumper guards were the big thing back then.
Along with the curb feelers and suicide knobs..
You made me go back and look - didn't recall seeing feelers and a knob! Jerk!! You meant in the catalog. Sheesh! Yes, I looked.... Thanks.

But, that brings me - again - to my dislike of the term "survivor." I, seriously, HATE that term! It's like another oft-repeated phrase, "100% original, except for...." If there's an exception, it is NOT 100% nor original.

You made me go back and look - didn't recall seeing feelers and a knob! Jerk!! You meant in the catalog. Sheesh! Yes, I looked.... Thanks.

But, that brings me - again - to my dislike of the term "survivor." I, seriously, HATE that term! It's like another oft-repeated phrase, "100% original, except for...." If there's an exception, it is NOT 100% nor original.

I think it's a reasonable to use the term "survivor" unless it's been repainted, and has had a lot of work. As long as it's in overall good to better driver condition and has original paint, drive train, etc its OK to use.

Service items like brake shoes/pads, exhaust, water pump, wiper blades, battery, NOS air in tires, etc do no blow survivor status in my mind. If it was literally 100 percent original it likely wouldn't be drive-able.

If it's been repainted and or new interior the survivor status no longer applies ... in my mind.

'Se habla espanol'
Hope he can speak the language better than he can spell it, somehow I doubt it.

is 5000 bucks demo territory?

Thankfully no, unless a bunch of them got together and won the powerball.

I think it's a reasonable to use the term "survivor" unless it's been repainted, and has had a lot of work. As long as it's in overall good to better driver condition and has original paint, drive train, etc its OK to use.

Service items like brake shoes/pads, exhaust, water pump, wiper blades, battery, NOS air in tires, etc do no blow survivor status in my mind. If it was literally 100 percent original it likely wouldn't be drive-able.

If it's been repainted and or new interior the survivor status no longer applies ... in my mind.
The Bloomington Gold people, who invented the use of the term, will agree with your allowances and dismissals. But they add another - additions of non-factory items. For me, a car that has additions does not qualify.

The Bloomington Gold people, who invented the use of the term, will agree with your allowances and dismissals. But they add another - additions of non-factory items. For me, a car that has additions does not qualify.

If they are add ons most can be un-added

If they are add ons most can be un-added
Of course.

Here's my problem: the seller uses my least-favorite descriptor. First thing I see is those ugly bumper guards and the ridiculous lights. I then looked at the other shots to see what else is not of Survivor status. If he had not said it, I would have noticed those things but given little thought to them other than "ugly." But the word put my antennae up.

I was reading an article in Mopar Collector's Guide about a '68 or 9 Charger, original owner. Caption said "Original Owner Survivor Charger!" But in the article the owner admitted to having repainted the entire car, swapped the rear and transmission, and removed the trailer hitch he had had on it for 20 years. What??? Survivor my ***! Because of that word I could not enjoy this article. I even wrote a letter to the magazine complaining!

Yes, that's my personal hang-up, but we all have them.

I cannot tell you how much I have come to hate that word!

I was reading an article in Mopar Collector's Guide about a '68 or 9 Charger, original owner. Caption said "Original Owner Survivor Charger!" But in the article the owner admitted to having repainted the entire car, swapped the rear and transmission, and removed the trailer hitch he had had on it for 20 years. What??? Survivor my ***!

That's ridiculous and I agree in that instance ... having not seen the article myself I assume there's no qualifier like it was a "survivor" until he restored it or something.

the trailer hitch is just an "add on" he un-added.

I have a word or maybe more that I hate to see but i don't mention it knowing I'd probably see it more and realizing that it's because of my own biases and opinions that I don't like it.

Of course.

Here's my problem: the seller uses my least-favorite descriptor. First thing I see is those ugly bumper guards and the ridiculous lights. I then looked at the other shots to see what else is not of Survivor status. If he had not said it, I would have noticed those things but given little thought to them other than "ugly." But the word put my antennae up.

I was reading an article in Mopar Collector's Guide about a '68 or 9 Charger, original owner. Caption said "Original Owner Survivor Charger!" But in the article the owner admitted to having repainted the entire car, swapped the rear and transmission, and removed the trailer hitch he had had on it for 20 years. What??? Survivor my ***! Because of that word I could not enjoy this article. I even wrote a letter to the magazine complaining!

Yes, that's my personal hang-up, but we all have them.

I cannot tell you how much I have come to hate that word!
If that's your only hangup with that magazine you're doing pretty good. I subscribe, but they sure take some big liberties when they tell a story. Every car seems to top the last one that talked about. Cool cars, but not one of them is cool without a crazy back story? And tommorow I'll plunk down my money at their table! Of course the other popular rag barely even has a story anymore.

But I agree, the word survivor gets used way too much and in the wrong way. My car is a survivor, it survived the last 2 owners, before I saved it!

That's ridiculous and I agree in that instance ... having not seen the article myself I assume there's no qualifier like it was a "survivor" until he restored it or something.

the trailer hitch is just an "add on" he un-added.

I have a word or maybe more that I hate to see but i don't mention it knowing I'd probably see it more and realizing that it's because of my own biases and opinions that I don't like it.
OK, now I'm curios!!! What is it???

If that's your only hangup with that magazine you're doing pretty good. I subscribe, but they sure take some big liberties when they tell a story. Every car seems to top the last one that talked about. Cool cars, but not one of them is cool without a crazy back story? And tommorow I'll plunk down my money at their table! Of course the other popular rag barely even has a story anymore.

But I agree, the word survivor gets used way too much and in the wrong way. My car is a survivor, it survived the last 2 owners, before I saved it!
Ha! I love that description - I agree! Mine survives - I drove it yesterday!

I cancelled my subscription to that rag over a decade ago when they ran an article on a Road Runner at one of the Flings in Van Nuys which had the "Very Rare Air Intake System" through the hood. They wrote that there was probably only one car with that set-up within a thousand miles! I wrote them to tell them there were 3 such cars at that very show, and my Buddy in Bakersfield had another. That was almost the final straw for me. What really did it was when they promoted a Playboy Pleasure Cruise. That's not what I read a car mag for.

I think I know what the other mag is, and I agree. They no longer have Young Guns, Readers Rides, or any Technical Letters. With every issue I receive I am that much closer to cancelling.

Just finished treading the current issue of Hemmings Muscle Car - excellent articles on old and new, plus two sections on technical help! That's what I read car mags for.

I'm trying to find the Inigo Montoya quote, "I must know!" You know the response?

Last edited:
I'm trying to find the Inigo Montoya quote, "I must know!" You km now the response?

image22.gif

He's screwing himself...should atleast be asking oh...what, shall we say $50k?

I've never liked the '72 grill, so those additions make it look even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back