1969 Convertible Top Fold Down Height

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
As pointed out in another thread I have noticed that some tops fold all the way down and others do not.
Mine sticks up 3-4" even if I try to push it down it doesn't go any further.

I have not seen other cars in person so I have no idea what may be off, I have been assuming the material is thicker that original?

Alan

2020-12-18_004.jpg

2020-12-26_003.jpg

2021-02-14_005.jpg

Last edited:
Mine goes down flat. Are the hydraulic cylinders correct? They all look the same. Maybe from a different model?

This is what’s always looked normal to me. I’ve always thought only Volkswagens and horseless carriages should fold down above the well.
Big John’s convertible top Chrysler instructional film makes me NEVER want to have to adjust one.

My cylinders are not connected to the frame so that might make it sit lower than normal. I don’t think my top is 50 years old but it’s definitely over 10.

Thanks Ed

E4701377-81A8-4688-B420-3F95FEE5F42D.jpeg

EDD7E1B9-5684-4BCC-A27F-EBAB3EE9DF0C.jpeg

Does the boot fit? Most of the ones I have seen in person sit flush or slightly above the molding edge, but I have only referenced Chrysler's.

As pointed out in another thread I have noticed that some tops fold all the way don and others do not.
Mine sticks up 3-4" even if I try to push it down it doesn't go any further.

I have not seen other cars in person so I have no idea what may be off, I have been assuming the material is thicker that original?

Alan

View attachment 545985

View attachment 545986

View attachment 545987
It should go down farther than that. I'll snap a pic later of mine, but it should be almost flush.

Mine goes down flat. Are the hydraulic cylinders correct? They all look the same. Maybe from a different model?

I'm pretty sure they are correct (reliable source and replaced what looked like originals, they matched).
They are currently out of the car as I have been working on things and it make no difference.

Does the boot fit? Most of the ones I have seen in person sit flush or slightly above the molding edge, but I have only referenced Chrysler's.

The boot that I have is not installed (and is in poor shape), I have always assumed it should lay flat.

Alan

The frame has little adjustment in the main mounting, I feel that rotating it down in the rear may help but would probably throw off the header fit.
2020-12-26_052.jpg

That might be where this adjustment come in (don't worry, the woodworking hardware has been replaced).
2020-12-26_043.jpg

There may be other adjustments but I haven't looked, this is all I feel that might impact the drop depth.

Alan

is the top currently working? i only ask because it looks like the pin is missing from the cylinder in your top picture. without the pin it will most likely bind there.
the bottom picture is your stack height adjustment. that is what you are looking for. keep in mind that lowering the stack will change the alignment on the header .
you'll also have to re adjust your side windows. test carefully checking for any alignment issues and binding.

is the top currently working? i only ask because it looks like the pin is missing from the cylinder in your top picture. without the pin it will most likely bind there.
the bottom picture is your stack height adjustment. that is what you are looking for. keep in mind that lowering the stack will change the alignment on the header .
you'll also have to re adjust your side windows. test carefully checking for any alignment issues and binding.
The top works fine.
I was replacing the pins and cylinders.

Alan

Back