For Sale 1969 HP 440

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davews

Reaction score
Contact seller
Looking to sell my 69 HP 440 block and parts. This Engine was sold to me by a fellow member probably more than 6 years ago as a fresh rebuild. Since the dates on the Engine were close to my Polara I bought it... fast forward to a few months ago, my Polara is getting close so I pulled the engine from storage and brought it to A well know mopar engine builder to re gasket and dyno the motor... they pulled ths motor apart to inspect and found it indeed was rebuilt but not to 69 HP specs.... low compression pistons crank ground .040 under etc... based on the price to build it correctly, I've decided to just let it go.... the block is perfect with .030 over cylinders etc. $1000 for everything... questions or comments? Call or PM me here...Dave 847-322-9766

20181220_130603.jpg

20181220_130556.jpg

20181220_130621.jpg

.040" is a lot of grind on a crank. Usually .010" will correct any issues.
Your correct..... in my opinion and the engine builder I used, the crank is scrap along with the pistons (7 1/2 to 1 ) and most other internals... block and external parts are what's worth building on...

I wonder, what has happened to the engine, since the CR of 7.5:1 is lower than in the factory stock 440 big blocks of the early 70s.
Good luck with the sale.

My engine builder said it was rebuilt but not as an hp engine. Pistons were low performance probably for a motor home...who knows? Someone can build a nice Date coded HP motor, but it will need a good rotating assembly

Mind if I ask what the date on the block is, type/condition of heads?

Just a question, I’m not a player, but would a standard ‘69 crank from a non HP motor work?

Mind if I ask what the date on the block is, type/condition of heads?
I forgot the date codes but will post pics later today of the casting #'s along with pics of the heads... my builder said the heads were ok and usable as is....he was concerned that the crank was .040 undersize and the crap pistons...

I wonder, what has happened to the engine, since the CR of 7.5:1 is lower than in the factory stock 440 big blocks of the early 70’s...

In fact a stock 1972 440 might as well have a 7.5:1 CR value from day one. The allowable tolerances were such, that you may have ended up with a dog engine from new. Only the 440 HP police engines were built strictly according to the blueprints. And that was done on a separate line.

Last edited:
Only the 440 HP police engines were built strictly according to the blueprints. And that was done on a separate line.

When an engine is assembled, how does anyone know what vehicle it will go into?
How were those engines designated externally to know they had special care and so the shippers would know to which plant the engine was to be shipped?
Why would sloppy assembly technique be allowed for civilian use? Why was quality control purposely lax?
How was the cost expenditure of operating a separate dedicated assembly line justified for a low volume engine?
Any factory documentation on this you can share?

My engine builder said it was rebuilt but not as an hp engine. Pistons were low performance probably for a motor home...who knows? Someone can build a nice Date coded HP motor, but it will need a good rotating assembly

That happened to me during my rebuild. They used LC pistons instead of HC. We only caught it by pulling the head for another reason.

“Trust but verify.”

Last edited:
In fact a stock 1972 440 might as well have a 7.5:1 CR value from day one. The allowable tolerances were such, that you may have ended up with a dog engine from new. Only the 440 HP police engines were built strictly according to the blueprints. And that was done on a separate line.

That can be true, but at least the advertised rating was 8.2:1.

That can be true, but at least the advertised rating was 8.2:1.

Indeed. But the core change, that happens on all cast steel parts due to the nature of the manufacturing process, amounts to the ”allowable tolarance” I referred to. Core change on a cast head can amount to quite a difference. Making a CR value of 7.5 a possibility. - This subject has been discussed on this board before, by people much better informed than myself. I’m merely referring to information I’ve learned here.

Flaws on casting happen on any material, not to mention the possibility of too low pistons, etc. so I´m not going to debate. I´m also one with not much information about this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back