For Sale 1969 Imp Very nice in Auction MN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so jealous of all the options !

No center light in imps ! You have 2 lights at the back of passengers and they can activate too these lights.
Shark light ( ones are working ) but can be not working simply due to bad contact in the bulb area.

Map light : in my 300H it started to work after 2 hour drive :) maybe your will be an easy fix too ( bulb ? ) . But be careful, the wiring is a disaster on these cars. ( i never had time to make the cigarette lighters to work for exemple.. )

i will follow to when you will check at the A/C ! I need to check mine too.

Power locks : do not work or you do not have ?

Thanks for tips Xavier.. :)

No power locks, although auction house said there was.. and I'm a little annoyed by this, as you need orangutang arms, to unlock the passenger door.

Shark lights are working both sides!

A/C is going to be one of the last things I check.. as you know, Denmark has A/C built into the weather :-D

My Imp is an early car, but at some time in it's history the relay was changed to the mechanical one.

I made a video of benchtesting mine:
[video]https://youtu.be/-ox_1lC_5K8[/video]

If the problem is in the red box, you will probably have to locate a mechanical replacement :(

I have a spare "package" but I'm not sure if its the mechanical relay or the red box. I never checked it, but I can check that tonight if you want.
View attachment 62849

Thanks Julian

Lovely video.. ha ha, I can look at that relay for quite a while, without getting bored.

I am completely blank on how to go about this problem, so I'll try to search the internet to see if someone has shared their experiences.. I fear the red box most now.. the mechanical relays if NOS, cost CRAZY money on eBay ! So much, that it could be tempting from a financial standpoint, to replicate the red box (or the whole setup), with modern electronics. However, I really like the mechanical relays, so I'd rather try to find one 2nd hand. It's funny how much "stuff" went into these sequential setups back then. :)

Did your "red box setup" work?

I don't have the Rod Box. When I bought the car, the mechanical relay was already in there. I just thought it was changed because Xavi3r mentioned the red box is the early version and my car was build in September 68.

As mentioned, I do have a spare second hand unit, I will check if its the red box or the mechanical relay.

I also thought about changing the system to a modern version, like this one: http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/ce1chry.htm
I haven't checked my entire system, so I don't know if everything is working or not.

I don't have the Rod Box. When I bought the car, the mechanical relay was already in there. I just thought it was changed because Xavi3r mentioned the red box is the early version and my car was build in September 68.

As mentioned, I do have a spare second hand unit, I will check if its the red box or the mechanical relay.

I also thought about changing the system to a modern version, like this one: http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/ce1chry.htm
I haven't checked my entire system, so I don't know if everything is working or not.

Thanks Julian..

If I were you, I would hang on to that relay "package", until you decide what you want in your car. Although the electronic solution is probably both more reliant, and does not make noise, I really prefer the mechanical solution.

In either case, that link looks good! Fair price even.. I hope they still have them available :)

Today, I changed oil and filter on the Imp, and I took about 80.000 pictures while it was on the lift.

I checked the drained oil with a magnet, and it had some VERY small semi magnetic shavings, that hardly felt metallic when handled.. more like little pieces of gasket. Filter was stamped "04", but looked like it had been installed recently.

What carb do you guys have on your Imp's.. There's a Holly on mine, and it need's attention. First of all, it stalls.. I suspect the "acceleration pump" to be defective.. At several occasions, I have had to give the Imp "snaps" to start, and while pumping the gas pedal should have the same effect, it doesn't...

Maybe I should move this conversation to the Imp section..?

:-D

I indeed have a spare mechanical unit. I bench tested it and it moved very slow and agonized.
DSC_0001.jpg

I opened it up and it was a mess. 46 years of dirt and grime everywhere.
DSC_0007.jpg

I took it apart completely in order to clean it.
DSC_0014.jpg

I cleaned every single part with a small wire wheel. after assembly, I polished the contact points to the cam as smooth as they can get to generate as less friction as possible.
DSC_0015.jpg
After that, I had a little improvement in cam speed, but not as fast as its supposed to be.

So I took the motor itself apart and it was even worse in there.
DSC_0019.jpg

But it cleaned up pretty nice with a little effort.
DSC_0021.jpg

The endresult is a completely rebuild unit, and you Sir have the possibility to buy this beautiful piece of ingenuity if you're interested!
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

I indeed have a spare mechanical unit.

, and you Sir have the possibility to buy this beautiful piece of ingenuity if you're interested!

Hey Julian

Cool, and sure I am interested..! But are you sure that you can do without it..? Is your other unit OK..?

This one looks fine.. and I think that I'll be happier with this, than with the electronic one...

PM me a price, or here, or whatever.. and we'll take it from there. ;-)

Thanks man !!

:-D

My own unit is fine and works flawless. So I can spare with this one, even is it goes to a good home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back