1969 Imperial progress thread

I'm planing to do it again this year for sure! But because of this Corona Snafu I have to see what happens in the cold season... :(

But, IF it happens, both of you are invited for sure!
And this year everybody brings tools.:lol:

My restoration of Virgil seems more like a "fix-it-up" compared to your project Julian. I am envious, and in awe. :wideyed:
Thank you Will! But please do not devalue your project! There are so many circumstances you have to consider when starting a project. Everyone is doing thinks to their liking and possibilities.
I wanted to do exactly what I'm doing now but I'm sure that's not the way to go for most other people. Often is a "fix-it-up" better for someones needs and sometimes its the full, crazy detailed restoration.
But no way is better then the other in my opinion. There are many downsides to the way I've chosen as well, believe me :rolleyes::p

Thank you Will! But please do not devalue your project! There are so many circumstances you have to consider when starting a project. Everyone is doing thinks to their liking and possibilities.
I wanted to do exactly what I'm doing now but I'm sure that's not the way to go for most other people. Often is a "fix-it-up" better for someones needs and sometimes its the full, crazy detailed restoration.
But no way is better then the other in my opinion. There are many downsides to the way I've chosen as well, believe me :rolleyes::p
Yes, one I can think of off the top of my head is now you will have to buy another one that you can feel comfortable driving out in the elements and I’m not just talking about the weather.....

Like a few folks here I value the "build" above all else. To me it's like creating art! Time, energy and cost be dammed. But.... once completed the car becomes a maintenance and storage burden. Not to my liking. It takes less than a year for me to be ready for the next project. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depends on how you look at it), I don't have a lot of these projects left in me.

Like a few folks here I value the "build" above all else. To me it's like creating art! Time, energy and cost be dammed. But.... once completed the car becomes a maintenance and storage burden. Not to my liking. It takes less than a year for me to be ready for the next project. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depends on how you look at it), I don't have a lot of these projects left in me.

You are someone Will that shares my passion almost completely. The only thing is that storing them is not so much a burden as it is a continuing joy to see them glistening under the lights looking brand new again each day!

And I too am not sure how many more projects are left in me either, but I still have a long 'to do' list and I don't like sitting around doing nothing. That is the quickest way to die!

I could probably make an exception to the "no more projects" if I had your 58 Custom Royal "regal"? That car talks to me. It's one I would love to restore.

I could probably make an exception to the "no more projects" if I had your 58 Custom Royal "regal"? That car talks to me. It's one I would love to restore.

I am not sure Will who is older, but I think it is probably me at 73 now. I do have a lot of projects and am still going strong, but at this age, one never knows................

I am glad you said something because if I get to the point of not be able to do it or prospects look dim, I will contact you. I can think of no one I would rather see it go to knowing what I do about your work. The door panels have already been restored, as well as the stand alone rear armrests and the seat covers were reproduced by Gary Goers as well not too long ago just before he closed up shop. I was one of his last customers. Should you need any body/paint work, my guy is excellent and no one does better work should he be able to help. I also have a 1958 Custom Royal 4 door with very low miles (40K) that has a complete excellent running drive train that could slip right into it (the rest of the car would need a complete restoration but it still runs great and the dash panel is even excellent). So it would be relatively easy to do. I also have the original drivetrain for the Regal Lancer but the engine is locked up should you prefer to keep it all original - it is a 350 cu in engine. The engine in the Custom Royal is a 361-4 bbl D500.

So keep a good thought!

Steve

I appreciate the courtesy of first refusal Steve. I'm 73 1/2... LOL. But that car gets my heart rate up for sure. When/if that time comes.... we'll talk.
:thumbsup:

Yes, one I can think of off the top of my head is now you will have to buy another one that you can feel comfortable driving out in the elements and I’m not just talking about the weather.....
I'm constantly looking, but right now I'm not willing to spend much money for other things then my main project. ;)

Nonetheless, I'm not planing to build a trailer queen! I want to drive the heck out of the Imperial once it's finished!

The seat frames are back from the painter and they look awesome! Almost too bad most of these parts will be hidden inside the seats later...

IMG-20200905-WA0007.jpg

2020-09-04 09.27.22.jpg

2020-09-04 09.27.35.jpg

And I've got an update from my Bodyman!

He is back on it again, now that the car is in bare metal.

He fitted the quarter panels to the rear bumper, mate the trunk lid to the new made dutchman panel, redid all the lead work (that washed away in the acid dip) and started to make new lower quarter panels.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg

He fitted the quarter panels to the rear bumper, mate the trunk lid to the new made dutchman panel, redid all the lead work (that washed away in the acid dip) and started to make new lower quarter panels.

View attachment 400438 View attachment 400439 View attachment 400440 View attachment 400441 View attachment 400442 View attachment 400443 View attachment 400444 View attachment 400445 View attachment 400446
Polish it, clear coat it and you’re done!

View attachment 400438 View attachment 400439 View attachment 400440 View attachment 400441 View attachment 400442 View attachment 400443 View attachment 400444 View attachment 400445 View attachment 400446

Mahvelous. . . Just mahvelous!

Did he use lead or all metal filler?

Back