1969 Imperial progress thread

Here is the more detailed paint update. So far, a coat of Base Primer, some Filler and the first coat of Spray Filler Primer is on the car.

Paint 001.jpg
Paint 002.jpg
Paint 003.jpg
Paint 004.jpg
Paint 005.jpg
Paint 006.jpg
Paint 007.jpg
Paint 008.jpg
Paint 009.jpg
Paint 010.jpg

Paint 031.jpg
Paint 032.jpg
Paint 033.jpg
Paint 034.jpg
Paint 035.jpg

So far, so good.

Next, we will put in the rear window and see if he has some small adjustments to do around the window channel to make it fit perfectly.
Unfortunately, the trim pieces I bought are in pretty poor condition, so we have to see if we can use them to fit the window or if I have to get them refurbished first.

The main damage showed after I had them Dry Ice Blasted to get rid of all the old goop they were glued in place with previously...
2021-10-03 14.10.31.jpg
2021-10-03 14.10.34.jpg
2021-10-03 14.10.37.jpg
2021-10-03 14.10.40.jpg
2021-10-03 14.10.43.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 491976 View attachment 491977 View attachment 491978 View attachment 491979 View attachment 491980

So far, so good.

Next, we will put in the rear window and see if he has some small adjustments to do around the window channel to make it fit perfectly.
Unfortunately, the trim pieces I bought are in pretty poor condition, so we have to see if we can use them to fit the window or if I have to get them refurbished first.

The main damage showed after I had them Dry Ice Blasted to get rid of all the old goop they were glued in place with previously...
View attachment 491981 View attachment 491982 View attachment 491983 View attachment 491984 View attachment 491985

I'm sorry to hear that about the trim. The car they came from had a little :rolleyes: rust around the window. When I pulled the glass (it just pushed out) the window trim stayed glued to the window.I hope you can make them work.
IMG_0689.jpg

Beautiful work otherwise

I'm sorry to hear that about the trim. The car they came from had a little :rolleyes: rust around the window. When I pulled the glass (it just pushed out) the window trim stayed glued to the window.I hope you can make them work.
View attachment 491987

Beautiful work otherwise
Yea, I'm pretty sure someone before you did all that mess. They have a lot dents caused by wrong used removal tools.
I hope someone can straighten them.

The Window itself came out pretty good so far. It took me 4 hours to remove all the old goop. There is still some limescale I was not able to remove yet, but other then that, it looks good. I'm gonna try polishing the glass to remove that.
2021-09-27 11.17.50.jpg
2021-10-03 12.11.44.jpg
2021-10-03 12.11.46.jpg
2021-10-03 12.11.50.jpg
2021-10-03 14.10.50.jpg

The second and last coat of Polyester Spray Filler is on the car now.

Paint 037.jpg
Paint 038.jpg
Paint 039.jpg
Paint 040.jpg
Paint 041.jpg
Paint 042.jpg
Paint 043.jpg
Paint 044.jpg
Paint 045.jpg
Paint 046.jpg

Next will be the primer after sanding this layer of Spray Filler.

Booster is back from BoosterSteve. It was pretty rusty, but he saved my original Booster!
Looks pretty good, zinc plated and painted.

No Booster Nuts tho. :eek:

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg

After searching for a long time, I finally found someone who was willing to laser cut my new Door Boards and Rear Trim Panels!
He was only willing to cut them out of aluminium since his company is doing just that. My upholstery shop can't use them because you can't staple into them and stuff, but I was fine with the aluminium as templates for fitment and measurement check purposes.

But I have to say, they look pretty cool in aluminium ;) they will make nice wall art later.

Of course, I had some things to correct, like moving some cutouts a millimeter or two here and there. But I have to say, overall I did a pretty good job measuring everything in the first place. ;)

Next step is to find someone who can laser cut them out of HDF to get the finished product.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

2021-10-14 16.55.50.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

I will make all the Adobe Illustrator and DXF Files available for everyone to use as soon as I've confirmed their correct fitting.
06.png

07.png

The booster is still pitted, I’m quite surprised you didn’t skim coat it to smooth before painting it.:poke:

Next step is to find someone who can laser cut them out of HDF to get the finished product.

This is the material I used for my 300 door panels.

Panel Board-Waterproof-Kraft Tan for Auto Upholstery

It's very close to the original in how it behaves, strength etc. It's more like a very heavy cardboard though, but I think it's how the material is processed. It is waterproof and that's a big plus. You can also cut it with a sharp utility knife and you could use the aluminum as patterns. Note that it is Chrysler approved.

Bet there's a supplier in Europe.

[QUOTE="vdk2010,

No Booster Nuts tho. :eek:

I'd give you mine Julian, but I ate them!
Aw, thanks Will :D
But no worries, I forgot to post it but I found them in between the packing material later.
And yes, I ate them already ;)
I was amused by the fact that americans call the size of the bag "fun size" ;)

Your progress is amazing. You started after I did on Virgil and you've just surpassed where I'm trying to get to......
Thanks! It's not easy, especially because it's getting really expensive lately.
But I'm very happy that I'm making progress again after a slow periot I had for a while!

You will get there, too! ;) The thing is, you have other nice cars you can drive instead of wrenching! I don't.

The booster is still pitted, I’m quite surprised you didn’t skim coat it to smooth before painting it.:poke:
It came that way and I'm still not sure if I'm going to scuff it and /or sand it down and potentially damage the zinc coating in that process.
But yes, my left eye is nervously twitching since it arrived ;)

Last edited:
This is the material I used for my 300 door panels.

Panel Board-Waterproof-Kraft Tan for Auto Upholstery

It's very close to the original in how it behaves, strength etc. It's more like a very heavy cardboard though, but I think it's how the material is processed. It is waterproof and that's a big plus. You can also cut it with a sharp utility knife and you could use the aluminum as patterns. Note that it is Chrysler approved.

Bet there's a supplier in Europe.
I can't find anything about that. :( Would have been interesting.
I will try HDF and see how it looks.

Back