1969 Imperial progress thread

The pics are amazing. Future restorers will be using this thread as a reference bible

Posted via Topify on Android

That would be great! I hope this will help others with their problems!

But above all, the pictures (over 4000 atm) are helping me when it's time to put things back together! :D

I would say the only reason to even take it apart is to get the ring for the new tank/sending unit because the new lock rings are crap.

I would say the only reason to even take it apart is to get the ring for the new tank/sending unit because the new lock rings are crap.

I agree with Dave the new rings don't fit as snug as the original. I would try and save it.

Love the seeing all the progress. You definitely will not regret all the photos for reference.

Great pics, very kool to see progress that's so thorough. I'm willing to bet that the sender is probably wasted but that ring? Like these guys said, you'll want to keep that.

Regarding the best place for jack stands, you can put one under the differential, or two under the springs at the axle.

Opening the lock ring with a hammer and a tool (cloth-wrapped screwdriver or similar) is quite easy. But putting it back in place without the tool referenced in the thread above is a PITA.

Thanks guys! Found the tool for sale in germany, will buy and try it again!

Regarding the best place for jack stands, you can put one under the differential, or two under the springs at the axle.

Next going out is the complete rear axle/spring combination ;) Maybe that's enought weight lost on the tail to get the front back down onto the jack stands!

Thanks guys! Found the tool for sale in germany, will buy and try it again!

Next going out is the complete rear axle/spring combination ;) Maybe that's enought weight lost on the tail to get the front back down onto the jack stands!
It definitely will.

It definitely is!
0001.jpg

And everything worked out very well. Almost...

Of course, the last bolt slipped. But just one new tool further, the axle came out.
DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0112.jpgDSC_0081.jpgDSC_0083.jpgDSC_0085.jpgDSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg
I lifted the axle to remove the nuts on the u bolts. But the first broke instantly. Because of this and because I'm planing to put in lowering blocks anyway, I cut the u bolts off.

DSC_0106.jpgDSC_0133.jpg

0001.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

No, no airbags planed yet. Just a tap lower to help the gorgeous lines of the car. I would prefer a stiffer "prostreet" setup before a soft airride setup anyway.

I can't find contradictory information.

But after watching this, I'm not sure anymore if I will use lowering blocks.

On the other side, I will keep my springs because they're still good. Are there other options to bring the car a little more to the ground?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the big "crown" back window interchanging with any other model or is it crown imperial exclusiv?

I remember the talk about that in the last time and the problems with the triangular bolt formation. Mine have three bolts in the back and four in the front.

Back