1969 L Code 440HP Sport Fury

Hi kmccabe56,

I agree regarding the inaccuracies of sales literature but all information should be considered while researching. Not all info in the sales literature is incorrect.

I'm curious about the broadcast sheet because, we know that California cars were specially equipped such as emissions. That's why I raised the question. How did they know when producing the car where the final destination would be. I was speculating that this information may be on the build sheet as that is what they built the car from so if special California equipment was necessary, it may have been indicated on the build sheet.

The other possibility is that it was built into the order and so it wasn't necessary to be on the build sheet but my understanding was that not all cars were built for a specific dealer or region. Build to stock instead of build to order from a manufacturing perspective. How would they know which build to stock cars could be shipped to California..

California cars back in these days were coded N95 on the body code plate if they were California emission-equipped vehicles.

View attachment 114739
Right now I can't find a fender tag pic but here is the sheet I found. Never seen a broadcast sheet like this but ill take it!

Found one just like yours in a 69 polara 500 i owned in the past.....

dodge__polara_500_1969_1_lgw.jpg

I remember someone talking about that....do you remember which Dealer it was? FCA will still build special runs if enough vehicles are ordered but it is all managed through HQ rather than the Regional office and usually by the Fleet Dept. Bank orders or "Buzz" vehicles are all ordered by Windsor to their specs not the Dealers so we end up with lots of "Aberrations" from the parts bins. We actually order low optioned Rams put Leather/graphics/Mopar accessories on them here and call them "XYZ" Edition we do the same with Grand Cherokees. Custom orders like this lets us stand out from the rest of the crowd...

You happen to be at a dealership that still has the imagination and grey matter to do stuff like that. Excellent!

In the good old days, things like that could have been done with powertrain components and even chassis and suspension pieces, but nowadays, with every possible version of a car having to be crash and emission tested, those days are done.

Just to clarify, many radiators were used on 69 Furys, mine has a 28" It is a unique part number used on 383/440 cars with the trailer tow package. Trailer tow package gave you extra cooling features, especially on AC cars.

View attachment 114496

Just re-reading all of this and had a head slapping moment. The reference to "Fan Drive" IS the clutch! Too bad there are no part numbers called out on this chart. But I'm now thinking both of those 7 blade fans are actually one fan.

Hi kmccabe56,

I agree regarding the inaccuracies of sales literature but all information should be considered while researching. Not all info in the sales literature is incorrect.

I'm curious about the broadcast sheet because, we know that California cars were specially equipped such as emissions. That's why I raised the question. How did they know when producing the car where the final destination would be. I was speculating that this information may be on the build sheet as that is what they built the car from so if special California equipment was necessary, it may have been indicated on the build sheet.

The other possibility is that it was built into the order and so it wasn't necessary to be on the build sheet but my understanding was that not all cars were built for a specific dealer or region. Build to stock instead of build to order from a manufacturing perspective. How would they know which build to stock cars could be shipped to California..

Agree not "all" info in the sales lit is incorrect, but sometimes you will find the damnedest things messed up.

Cali cars in Fusie times all got the same but different than 49 state emissions equipment as you point out. That specific "N" equipment will be called out on the broadcast sheet.

I'm guessing that Cali built for stock cars would have been ordered by the zone office in California and held in a central location to be passed on to a dealer at a later time. The zone offices had a neat way of coercing dealers into taking "stock" cars. Certain Charger models for example might be in short supply with the dealers clambering for as many as they could get. The zone guys would dribble these cars out to the dealers contingent upon how many slow selling cars they happened to also have in "stock". So for example, for a dealer to get a couple of Charger R/Ts, he'd also have to agree to taking three or four Newport sedans.

To get a Hellcat Demon, you have to take 100 Darts and 100 200's. :lol:

Good thing we don't make those anymore they are onto Renegades and Journeys now 2 things we don't sell either...but if you want one Stan I'll get it for you it's $2,086,000 but we will include 100 Journeys

Good thing we don't make those anymore they are onto Renegades and Journeys now 2 things we don't sell either...but if you want one Stan I'll get it for you it's $2,086,000 but we will include 100 Journeys
WTF is selling then. Just Rams and Wranglers?
Is this an FCA death watch?

How did they know when producing the car where the final destination would be. I was speculating that this information may be on the build sheet as that is what they built the car from so if special California equipment was necessary, it may have been indicated on the build sheet.

By the dealer order number. CA dealers were, likely, flagged in the initial order sorting process.

Part two would be easy enough to research....look for Y16 sales bank cars with N95.

Ok, Here's some of the research I've done and it seems to just confuse the questions raised.

My car had a scheduled build date of May 23 1969 on the fender tag and build sheet and sold on June 12 1969 in Blythe, California to the original owner according to the temporary registration.

The Build sheet states built to USA Specs and does NOT contain N95 but does have a Sold Car code of Y14 which I've heard a couple of different interpretations, one of which was a car that had a down payment made.

Any guesses why my car was apparently not built to CA specs? Blythe is on the boarder of Nevada off Interstate 10.

My car does have the Unsilenced air cleaner. I also found the 1969 Plymouth and Dodge Dealer Data Books and it indicates that the Fury 440 HP would have the unsilenced but the Polara/Monaco would have the dual snorkel. Again, Dealer Data books were printed at the beginning of the production year and may have mistakes.

Temp Registration.JPG
Fury air cleaner 1.JPG
Not N95.JPG
Fender Tag 35.jpg
69 Polara Monaco Magnum 440 Air Cleaner.JPG

Ok, Here's some of the research I've done and it seems to just confuse the questions raised.

My car had a scheduled build date of May 23 1969 on the fender tag and build sheet and sold on June 12 1969 in Blythe, California to the original owner according to the temporary registration.

The Build sheet states built to USA Specs and does NOT contain N95 but does have a Sold Car code of Y14 which I've heard a couple of different interpretations, one of which was a car that had a down payment made.

Any guesses why my car was apparently not built to CA specs? Blythe is on the boarder of Nevada off Interstate 10.

My car does have the Unsilenced air cleaner. I also found the 1969 Plymouth and Dodge Dealer Data Books and it indicates that the Fury 440 HP would have the unsilenced but the Polara/Monaco would have the dual snorkel. Again, Dealer Data books were printed at the beginning of the production year and may have mistakes.

View attachment 114845 View attachment 114847 View attachment 114849 View attachment 114850 View attachment 114848

Was N95 a valid code for a 69?

View attachment 114845 View attachment 114847 View attachment 114849 View attachment 114850 View attachment 114848

Hey Rick,...nice leg work on the air cleaner designation;

440HP Unsilenced=Plymouth.
440HP Double Snorkel=Dodge.

The B5 L code 440HP Sport Fury Convertible has a 505 SPD, it is a Belvedere car too. Your 69 L code 440HP Sport Fury and mine have very close sequence numbers.

I not sure on the California delivery,...I'll ask a guy I know tomorrow.

Last edited:
Was N95 a valid code for a 69?

I believe you are correct, as N95 was applied to the body code plates subsequent to at least 1971, as I took a look out in my garage this evening, and two of my 1971 Chryslers that were definitely sold first in California did not have the N95 designation. But they both had the blue Vehicle Emission Control Information label, which is for Clalifornia cars (and the other 49 state cars' similar label was green). I also was able to look at my 73 Monaco wagon which was also a California car with the blue compliance label, and it does have the N95 designation. So perhaps the body code plate N95 designation started in either 1972 or 1973. My apologies for not checking this further before making the statement. I ususally try to do that.

Last edited:

"523" is the body frame date, which does not necessarily mean it is the car's build date. I believe the build date is the date of completion of the car as it comes off the assembly line and heads to the rolls test. The body frame date "can" be the car's build date, but it's unusual to find that it is.

Y14 indicates that the car has a retail buyer waiting for it as opposed to a dealer ordering a car for his/her own inventory. Y14 cars get bumped up the build order as high as possible. When the car actually gets built depends on (a) whether or not the individual ordering the car knows the right people at Chrysler to expedite assembly of the vehicle (b) how many Y14 cars are already in the system. (c) the options on the car and whether or not the assembly plant has stock to allow it to build the car as ordered.

"523" is the body frame date, which does not necessarily mean it is the car's build date. I believe the build date is the date of completion of the car as it comes off the assembly line and heads to the rolls test. The body frame date "can" be the car's build date, but it's unusual to find that it is.

Y14 indicates that the car has a retail buyer waiting for it as opposed to a dealer ordering a car for his/her own inventory. Y14 cars get bumped up the build order as high as possible. When the car actually gets built depends on (a) whether or not the individual ordering the car knows the right people at Chrysler to expedite assembly of the vehicle (b) how many Y14 cars are already in the system. (c) the options on the car and whether or not the assembly plant has stock to allow it to build the car as ordered.

523 is the SPD. The "body frame date?",..... stub frame will have a date that will tell you the installation of that part, and correlated parts including suspension, engine etc,...which would usually be the actual "built date" or very close to it.

And if you have the original shipping invoice, then you have pretty much got it.

At least, that's how I understand it.

The scheduled production date is just that....a SCHEDULED date. Cars were built earlier or later than the scheduled date for a wide variety of reasons. The actual assembly can be no earlier than the latest date coded part. Some package cars (A12 6bbl cars, Superbirds) only have one or two SPDs but were built over time.

Some broadcast sheets appear to show an actual construction date.

Once the MONTH YEAR safety sticker come into effect, one can find instances of the SPD being in a following or previous month.

Sales bank cars were a way to keep the line moving between ordered cars and to have some inventory available for dealers.

523 is the SPD. The "body frame date?",..... stub frame will have a date that will tell you the installation of that part, and correlated parts including suspension, engine etc,...which would usually be the actual "built date" or very close to it.

And if you have the original shipping invoice, then you have pretty much got it.

At least, that's how I understand it.

Have to disagree on this. I was corrected many years ago by an engineer at Windsor. The body frame date is the date the car body becomes a legal entity. This occurs somewhere in the middle of the assembly plant when the body in white is finished and it's heading to the paint shop.

Back