1969 L Code 440HP Sport Fury

It's hard to predict what's going to happen. Jeep is doing well as is Ram but Chrysler is suffering and Dodge only has the Hellcats .

So disgusted with the direction FCA is taking "Chrysler Corp", I told my wife her next car may be a Taurus SHO.

As you can see this car is need of a total restoration. I just couldn't see it setting outside with the possibility of having the 440 removed for an E or B body. Had to buy it and pack it away safe and sound.

Very cool Tracy!

Could you post a photo of the fender/data tag?

By the way,...can you tell us about your 1970 300/H?

As you can see this car is need of a total restoration. I just couldn't see it setting outside with the possibility of having the 440 removed for an E or B body. Had to buy it and pack it away safe and sound.

Really nice Sport Fury, and great colors.
It appears the dashpad has been replaced with one from a 1970 model?

Is that the original engine ?
Don,t see any orange on it........

Thanks for the observations. I didn't even realize the 70 dash before. All numbers match on this car. The rivets holding the serial number on the dash appear original. I really don't believe the dash has ever been changed out. This car was built July 03...Maybe a late run and they tossed in a 70 dash??? The engine is only the 350 horse E85. I believe only the E86 HP 440s were orange. The 300H is another story.

IMG_20170226_155903.jpg

Thanks for the observations. I didn't even realize the 70 dash before. All numbers match on this car. The rivets holding the serial number on the dash appear original. I really don't believe the dash has ever been changed out. This car was built July 03...Maybe a late run and they tossed in a 70 dash??? The engine is only the 350 horse E85. I believe only the E86 HP 440s were orange. The 300H is another story.

That would be easy to determine. Parts of dash clusters are date coded. If the date codes are after the SPD.......well.......

I would like to see more info on the two door car with the (MARS)? police lightbar next to the sport fury convert....maybe a new thread???

In post #72 there is a mention of axle ratio selection, where they divide it up by transmission choice. What I'm wondering is, for 69, the mention of a 4 speed could exist or not?

So then the last segment of post #72 is NOT for a 69', perhaps 68 and earlier!

The picture posted is from the 1969 data book, but it is wrong. Data books do contain errors.

Here's the full picture.

69_Dodge_C_Body_Magnum_800.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 114489

Hi Dave,

Yea, the 440 engine "call-out" is quite rare. These are B and C body applications 1968-1969.

I've seen the hood emblems on many Furies before, but it seems not all cars came with engine CID "call-out" on the emblems. 318, 383, 440, and BLANK.

I'm not sure if only HP cars got them or they were model specific, i.e., Sport Fury, VIP etc.

Maybe Kevin or other folks know.

just adding 1968 fury III fasttop g-code motor with 383 callout hood ornament

p.s. this thread is kickass nice discussion of how the plant builds a car fascinating stuff thanks to all

Is the "call out" 440 a sticker? My 69 was born with a 383 but the space is blank.

IMG_2505.JPG
Is the "call out" 440 a sticker? My 69 was born with a 383 but the space is blank.

The "call out" is a decal. That is made of stamped aluminum with an adhesive backing or PSA. They were/are anodized red in these "call outs", 318, 383, and 440.

There is a recipe for what cars had a "call-out" and what cars didn't, but so far I haven't gathered enough data to know exactly what car would have had one or not.

Not all 69 Furies had a hood emblem, and I don't know why,..yet.

If a Fury did have a hood emblem:

- Slant 6 cars were blank.
- 440 HP cars had a "call-out"
- some but not all 440 standard 350 HP had a "call out", not all
- 338 HP cars had a "call-out", but not all.

I have a 69 Fury III 318 no hood emblem.

Here is a photo of a WSP 440-360HP, 69 Fury III hood emblem with 440"call-out"

Last edited:
I couldn't even tell you if my fury had the hood emblem. I really don't think it did

My 69 Sport Fury Vert I bought in 1976 had no hood emblem, The 70 Sport Fury I bought in 2000 had the 383 emblems mounted on the hood bulges along with the recessed directional lights.

Back