For Sale 1969 Sport Fury Vert E-Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 318 in a C body may not be a time bender, but they are better than you give them credit for. I would love to have a 440 but also would accept the reality that with that engine e I would be feeding a lot of horses that don't get used.

I agree that the 318 isn't a bad engine at all. It is very reliable.
Using a C-body daily it would make sense using a 318 for economical reasons.

In 1978 I had to drive 90 miles (90% freeway driving) from the college I attended to a Dr. appointment in downtown Minneapolis in one hour. I drove my Dad's 318 powered 1970 Custom Suburban and I made it on time (you do the math on MPH).

I'll bet it was faster than 90 MPH !!!!

Am I right ??? !!!

I'll bet it was faster than 90 MPH !!!!

Am I right ??? !!!

Yes you are! It was stupid of me, but I was 21 and left late (the wisdom of planning ahead came later in life). It was midday on a sunny fall day with perfect driving conditions, but I still I had people honking at me to slow down. 9 years later I drove for several hours on the autobahn in a 4 cylinder Peugeot and I'd say that car was underpowered for passing, but still cruised at 95 MPH just fine (in the slow lane).

Besides the autobahn why and where would one need to cruise @ 95 mph and require reserve power to pass at an even greater speed? I drove a new 318 powered 1970 Custom Suburban back in the 70's and the 235 horse V8 was more than enough to merge onto a 70 mph freeway and pass slower traffic at will. IMHO the costlier 383 & 440 V8s did not have enough extra horsepower to overcome the better MPG and reliability of the 318. In 1978 I had to drive 90 miles (90% freeway driving) from the college I attended to a Dr. appointment in downtown Minneapolis in one hour. I drove my Dad's 318 powered 1970 Custom Suburban and I made it on time (you do the math on MPH).

Driving with 95mph is usually happening on the autobahn only.
But even then it is important to speed up sometimes.
The autobahn has often only two lanes going in one direction.
It is only allowed to pass on the left lane, not on the right.
Trucks are only allowed to drive 50mph (and usually drive 55mph).
So I am driving on the right lane, doing 95mph, seeing a truck in front of me doing 55mph.
I check the rearview mirror and see another car coming fast. So I need to get on the left lane and speed up to pass the truck quickly to not interrupt the following traffic and to be back on the right lane ASAP.
Please keep in mind driving 95mph does not mean you are fast on the autobahn.

Back in the 70s and 80s a car with a 318 would have been good in passing in europe (on highways, inside town). But within the last 15 years a lot of european cars got a lot more horsepower. It results in faster driving, too.
Highways are usually single lane roads without a shoulder overhere and while passing you have to watch out for traffic coming from the other direction. You better have enough power sources to overtake or you should drive way more defensive.

MPG is not a key for me. If I would care for it I should just drive the AMG Mercedes from my girlfriend. It is way faster on the autobahn, passes fast and has a chassis that can drive circles around any of my old Mopars, all of that done by less than half of the fuel consumption. It is more comfortable&reliable, too.
But it looks ugly to me, doesn't give me any postive feeling and wants me make to puke.
I am not driving Mopars because it makes sense. It is pure fun

Hi Will,

your are right again with your words.
These cars are often memories for older people who know the cars from back in the day and enjoy it to see them again.

But that is a difference to germany ie. Those cars were rarely seen overhere back in the day (except for the areas were the US army was stationed). People over here look at them, some will enjoy there view but it is different as no one owned an old american car 45 years ago.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not lightening up the tires at every traffic light.
Actually I do it extremly seldom with a C-Body.
But it is good to know that I could if I wanted to.

Carsten

This strikes a chord with me Carsten. I never drove recklessly or abused the cars I had on a recurring basis and always tried to be safe for me, my passengers, and any vehicles/people that may be around me .. but I loved and still do driving a car with all the torque and power of a big block Mopar especially with a manual transmission

Why? Speed doesnt kill, carelessness kills..... Driving at 140 mph isnt a bad thing, its the JO that pulls out in front of you, either, 1, he misjudged your speed, 2, he wanted YOU to slow down, 3 , he just wasnt paying attention. ..
I have driven many cars in excess of a hundred miles per hour and at no time was it "unsafe".

In fact I would wager, if you eliminated speedometers in cars people wouldnt know how fast they were going and would actully drive faster than they actually "think" they feel comfortable with.

The speed limits set forth by our government is there for a money grab and nothing more. The only time safety comes into play is because of the insurance companies. They want you to go slow because of that careless driver that may pull in front of you...

Well you started it with a question ... "why" so it seemed like an answer to someone .. just trying to follow along dontknow.gif

dontknow.gif

Driving with 95mph is usually happening on the autobahn only.
But even then it is important to speed up sometimes.
The autobahn has often only two lanes going in one direction.
It is only allowed to pass on the left lane, not on the right.
Trucks are only allowed to drive 50mph (and usually drive 55mph).
So I am driving on the right lane, doing 95mph, seeing a truck in front of me doing 55mph.
I check the rearview mirror and see another car coming fast. So I need to get on the left lane and speed up to pass the truck quickly to not interrupt the following traffic and to be back on the right lane ASAP.
Please keep in mind driving 95mph does not mean you are fast on the autobahn.

Back in the 70s and 80s a car with a 318 would have been good in passing in europe (on highways, inside town). But within the last 15 years a lot of european cars got a lot more horsepower. It results in faster driving, too.
Highways are usually single lane roads without a shoulder overhere and while passing you have to watch out for traffic coming from the other direction. You better have enough power sources to overtake or you should drive way more defensive.

MPG is not a key for me. If I would care for it I should just drive the AMG Mercedes from my girlfriend. It is way faster on the autobahn, passes fast and has a chassis that can drive circles around any of my old Mopars, all of that done by less than half of the fuel consumption. It is more comfortable&reliable, too.
But it looks ugly to me, doesn't give me any postive feeling and wants me make to puke.
I am not driving Mopars because it makes sense. It is pure fun

I miss those days on the Autobahn!!!!

Why? Speed doesnt kill, carelessness kills..... Driving at 140 mph isnt a bad thing, its the JO that pulls out in front of you, either, 1, he misjudged your speed, 2, he wanted YOU to slow down, 3 , he just wasnt paying attention. ..
I have driven many cars in excess of a hundred miles per hour and at no time was it "unsafe".

In fact I would wager, if you eliminated speedometers in cars people wouldnt know how fast they were going and would actully drive faster than they actually "think" they feel comfortable with.

The speed limits set forth by our government is there for a money grab and nothing more. The only time safety comes into play is because of the insurance companies. They want you to go slow because of that careless driver that may pull in front of you...

Well, no, actually. The research shows that human brains are really really bad at estimating both the relative dangers and the relative speeds involved when you get much above 20 mph.

I drive too fast, you drive too fast, we all do. We also almost always get away with it. But when we don't it can be catastrophic.

Well, no, actually. The research shows that human brains are really really bad at estimating both the relative dangers and the relative speeds involved when you get much above 20 mph.

I drive too fast, you drive too fast, we all do. We also almost always get away with it. But when we don't it can be catastrophic.

I would argue with you till your death on that and we dont have that kind of time :yes_no:

Dave, I'm sure you can drive fast, so can I... But safe? You can't assume everybody else should give the road for YOU when you're speeding. That's pretty arrogant, IMHO.

Speed limits are for general protection, not just to get money from your wallet.

You are a good guy, so don't be an a$$hole in this matter... lol

I just erased a whole dissertation on the topic. I stand by it and you can be the sheep

Dave, I'm sure you can drive fast, so can I... But safe? You can't assume everybody else should give the road for YOU when you're speeding.

The "other guy" is the real issue. Judging Rate of closure at over 80 MPH is beyond most peoples abilities.
Anyone can drive fast, it's the ability to react that counts.
I've made a lap on the Talladega Superspeedway in 52 seconds, (2.66 miles and four turns), But on the highway.... 75 max.

There are places west of the Mississippi that are condusive to driving fast. But still subject to un-anticipated road hazards.
I'll stick to 60 on a back road, thank you.

I just erased a whole dissertation on... [a] topic.
I've done that so many times here it's not funny.
I finally realized how much useless effort that was.
I'm working on saying "nice car except for the wheels" from now on.

I would argue with you till your death on that and we dont have that kind of time :yes_no:

We can disagree, but I suspect that only one of us has actually read up on the issue.

Let's try this: How long are the white stripes on the Interstate, and how long are the gaps between them?

Experience tells me more than any book in every aspect of life. Engineers like weather men are wrong half the time.

And to your riddle, am I driving or standing still? Because when I'm driving, it's one mighty long line

It's no riddle, and the point is that perception is sometimes wrong, especially in cases like driving. For example, there's only one measurement. The lines don't change in length, whether you read it in a book or stand, or drive.

So how long do you think they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back