1970 300 convertible

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
My 1970 300 convertible that I bought recently was delivered, and it is a pretty cool car.
I’m going to start getting a handle on what is original, and what has been monkeyed with on the car as I am a bit of a purist and like things the way they were meant to be from the factory.
The car was originally green, but has been painted over years ago (not overly well) with a buttery white colour.

a couple of questions regarding the engine bay in regards to what would have been original.
The engine bay is painted black, including things like the wiper motor (I will be removing things this winter and stripping/ restoring them).
I’ve been googling photos of 70 300 engine bays, and I do see some in black but I also see some in body colour.
We’re the engine bays originally body colour? Every Mopar I’ve ever restored or owned has always had a body colour engine bay.

I am also curious as to what the correct air cleaner should look like on a 70 300. This car came with a 440 TNT pie plate on it (which I know is not the case) so it makes me wonder if just the pie plate is wrong, or if the entire air cleaner is wrong.

it would be greatly appreciated if somebody wanted to post up a photo of a correct engine bay and air cleaner!

Last edited:
Also, I’m looking for inputs on another thing on the car.
This car was originally a column shift car with the armrest between the front seats.
The previous owner changed out the steering column for a non column shift one, and added a console and shifter.
He kept the original column and arm rest. I’m debating whether to leave the console in, or to put the car back to the way it came from the factory.

Many opinions on this from you C body gurus would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Here’s a few pics

04116367-8D95-4D98-A671-AA852B224F9F.jpeg

07F245A8-95BA-4A24-B0DF-88284974C62B.jpeg

5E25652B-72C8-4A05-9881-AB0452D02B7D.jpeg

8BE7E60D-7ACB-4A99-B301-DB8D3164EA92.jpeg

since the column shift has been changed to a console i'd keep it that way.
imo changing to a console shift doesnt hurt the value if thats important to you; i think more people would prefer it.
you might want to look for the 70 chrysler padded console top pieces but they will taken some hunting.
what colour was the interior originally ? i'd guess saddle tan because of the dash pad and top boot
heres a pic of the saddle tan coloured console tops in my 70 300

20190723_144437.jpg

20190714_143342.jpg

We’re the engine bays originally body colour?

Body color.

I am also curious as to what the correct air cleaner should look like on a 70 300. This car came with a 440 TNT pie plate on it (which I know is not the case) so it makes me wonder if just the pie plate is wrong, or if the entire air cleaner is wrong.

The TNT air cleaner will have two inlets. I understand that a non-TNT won't have a pie plate, but I've also always said "never say never". There's one on mine, courtesy, of a previous owner, that says 440 4 bbl.

My car.

DMZVvIC.jpg

Incomplete, but I’ve been working towards originality. Mine has AC, the air cleaner is a single snorkel.

F2C26C75-ED59-42E4-A132-CBF7405E12A9.jpeg
E80AEE50-1ACF-4EE2-903C-2C9D6E74AFD0.jpeg
64DD0E74-A888-4774-97E3-3F433C8640D4.jpeg

Nice cars gents!
My car is what I would call a good driver. I come from the B body and E body world where I strive to keep every nut and bolt factory correct; I’m guessing I won’t have to be that fussy in the C body world!
My goal is to get everything on the car working perfectly, and make it mechanically a super reliable driver which I understand it already is, but I’ll still go through it this winter.
In the long run I will strip the car and repaint it back to the factory green after ensuring the body is perfect,again because the colour should match the fender tag, IMO.

Here’s a photo of the single snorkel air cleaner in the car, as well as a photo of the console.
Obviously the console is not an original one, but does the air cleaner itself look correct?

2CD36E11-0369-4CD8-998D-A0934F030C66.jpeg

053C3621-63A4-40E4-A519-5750D3CB3AB6.jpeg

The air cleaner looks correct, although it’s missing a vacuum solenoid on the top of the snorkel. Console is from a ‘68 or ‘69, someone here should be able to ID it. Beautiful car, nice catch BTW. Can you post a pic of the fender tag?

Hey Marko; yes my car appears to be a saddle tan interior car as well.
My door panels aren’t in great shape and someone has painted or spray dyed them at some point. They are now 2 tone, but I’m guessing originally the interiors on these cars were just 1 colour?
I’ll go take a photo of a door panel and post it up.

Last edited:
So that’s what’s happened in the past, someone has either painted or stained the door panels, and left the centers saddle tan.
There’s actually a brush mark on the chrome armrest plastic backing plate!

so this begs the question, could I go after this gently with a stripper and remove the topcoat?
Obviously I can’t order new saddle tan door panels from Legendary interiors!

B3706A1B-E737-42FC-ACA3-F57AC11C084E.jpeg

0025DC60-C217-4AAE-A961-7B5D64560E12.jpeg

2408F499-3FAA-4692-B8F4-B59CC4F6AE7C.jpeg

I used the SEM products to redo my dash with excellent results. I do not know if you can actually take the topcoat off, but they might have a color that is close to the original saddle so you can respray the whole panel.

Last edited:
My goal is to get everything on the car working perfectly, and make it mechanically a super reliable driver (…) In the long run I will strip the car and repaint it back to the factory green after ensuring the body is perfect, again because the colour should match the fender tag, IMO.

Here’s a photo of the single snorkel air cleaner in the car
Welcome, nice car! Sounds like a good plan, get it running great then do the cosmetics. Enjoy and thank you for sharing!

Welcome to C-body Land! Nice car!

Although the console is not correct for that model year, buckets w/console is more upscale than buckets with the buddy seat center item, to myself and many others. No real "ding" to the value as long as it was done well, even with the incorrect model year console. BTAIM

If the air cleaner pie plate is important, you can either easily remove it or get one that is just "Chrysler 440" instead. But do get the vac operated flapper item for the air cleaner snorkle, even if you don't hook it up (requires a thermostat and vac lines from a manifold vac source to run it).

In addition to your other priorities, finding a useagle build sheet would be a good one to have, generally, just as in the B and E-body cars.

As to the underhood colors, the vertical part of thecowl area will be body color, as will the core support. The inner fenders on Fuselage cars and later will be satin black (same as the engine brackets), rather than body color (as the '68 and prior C-body cars are). The front of the core support and upper/horizontal cowl area will be painted a flatter satin black (and sometimes somewhat sloppy, by observation).

Enjoy!
CBODY67

So that’s what’s happened in the past, someone has either painted or stained the door panels, and left the centers saddle tan.
There’s actually a brush mark on the chrome armrest plastic backing plate!

so this begs the question, could I go after this gently with a stripper and remove the topcoat?
Obviously I can’t order new saddle tan door panels from Legendary interiors!

View attachment 477339

View attachment 477340

View attachment 477341

I've painted my panels with SEM paint with great results. The color isn't quite the same, but it looks good.

A couple things... The arm rest and base are available in reproduction and the door pulls have been reproduced by ABC Mopars.

I redid the chrome trim on mine too. Used this stuff from Auto Zone.
1yx6uzc-jpg.jpg

fbwzc1h-jpg.jpg

My finished panels after paint etc.

ncm_1099_zpshifhulrg-jpg-jpg.jpg

I didn't like how the carpet turned out so that was redone a year or two later.

aqa2lf3-jpg.jpg

Hey big John; your door panels came out great!
Do you recall what the name of the SEM colour was that you used?
Did you use the SEM pre stuff that helps adhere their paint?

And also, I’m definitely going to lost the 440 tnt pie plate, I just want to be sure I have the correct air cleaner.

Back