WANTED 1970 and up Seat Belt Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I need a double version of the seat belt clip that screws to the front of the rear seat.

This is for a 1970 and 1971 and no, they do not repop this (to my knowledge). No, a 1969 and earlier version won't work (the belt clip is too wide). Edit: The standard 1970 version is different too, it has to be for a DeLuxe pushbutton buckle belt.

This is what it look like. I'll take any color, but would prefer brown/tan if I have a choice.

GlQxi9S.jpg

Part#3454599 for reference, it just has to be in good shape with no cracks etc.

Last edited:
From the Steve Juliano Collection. Seriously! I bought these as a "lot" at Mecum Indy in 2019 to get something to bolt to the front of my console/armrest. I used two 90* clips and it made for a very neat way to store the lap belts.

Anything here amuse you?
IMG_7416.JPG

Here's my little fix for snarled belts. I kept the pretty chrome clips for something else just in case, someday, that might be visible. The "patina'd" clips on my car can't be seen.
IMG_1468.JPG

Last edited:
From the Steve Juliano Collection. Seriously! I bought these as a "lot" at Mecum Indy in 2019 to get something to bolt to the front of my console/armrest. I used two 90* clips and it made for a very neat way to store the lap belts.

Anything here amuse you?
View attachment 475078

Here's my little fix for snarled belts. I kept the pretty chrome clips for something else just in case, someday, that might be visible. The "patina'd" clips on my car can't be seen.
View attachment 475079
Those are pre 1970 style. The belt buckle is wider than what was used in my car.

1970 belts. One year style, but they do interchange with at least 1971. Note the narrower buckle.

;topic=9308.png

The clips in my pic all work on my '70 belts...just checked. In you first pic, the clip you want has a square-er hole. Is that the tip-off for the earlier, narrower buckles?
The difference may be that I have the optional DeLuxe belts w/push button release buckles.

Yes, the hole is square-er (is that a word?) and narrower.

Surprising that with the Imperial seats in your car, the nicer belts weren't spec'd.

70_Chrysler_3000006.jpg

Square-er is officially a word, because it's now on the InterWeb. Twice.....er, thrice!

upload_2021-7-14_13-18-56.png

Yeah, that's interesting. Maybe Deluxe could have been ordered by a buyer, but there were so few actual buyers of the Hurst cars. Dunno

Actually, I prefer the standard "commercial airline" release over the pushbutton. I can recall those jamming on the pleats of my purple velour bellbottoms.

In another variation of the times, I'm amused at a passenger in my car grabbing the retracted male belt, expecting to pull it all the way across their body like a modern car. They're flustered when it only move about 18 inches. :D

I have never seen this before. Exactly where does it mount and what is it supposed to do? My car is a non-console buddy seat so maybe a moot item for me.

Exactly where does it mount and what is it supposed to do?
Who you talkin' to? You talkin' to ME? If so, you can see that I kludged the 90* metal clips to my armrest/buddy seat unit. They're clearly not supposed to be there, but it's an outstanding fix to intertwined snakes of loose seatbelts.

There go my Concours points.....

Bolts to the front of the rear seat huh?
Is that all C’s or a fancy 300 deal?

I can stop by Jose’s and see if that 71 has it in there. Probably blue though.

69D2EF67-582B-47B7-A3FE-DAEDE71C01CB.jpeg

AAC80B56-0B2D-4B0E-BE80-50793ECF9C67.jpeg

My guess would be 5 or 10 bucks. You’ll basically be paying him thru me. I don’t mark stuff like this up LoL.

I’ll shoot for as close to free as possible.

Is that all C’s or a fancy 300 deal?
I'm not real sure, but i think all the C bodies. Now I'm thinking it's just for Deluxe belts for 1970, but for 1971, I think they were the standard belt.

I’ll shoot for as close to free as possible.

Free is always the best price. LOL! and blue is fine! I have paint.

Last edited:
I have never seen this before. Exactly where does it mount and what is it supposed to do? My car is a non-console buddy seat so maybe a moot item for me.
These mount to the bottom of the rear seat to clip the seat belts to.

I know our '70 Newport has them which also was spec'd out with deluxe seat belts (bench seat car). Could it also only be a convertible thing?

When looking at the clips that the buckle clicks into, the picture of the one John posted are further apart and do not have as much of a taper as the one in Trace's picture.
I didn't know there was a difference, and it seems as the deluxe belts require a different clip for the back seat fastener.
FWIW, the 69 and 70 clips with the standard seat belt seem to have the same measurements.
rear seat belt clip 3.jpg
rear seat belt clip 2.jpg
rear seat belt clip 1.jpg
rear seat belt clip 4.jpg

When looking at the clips that the buckle clicks into, the picture of the one John posted are further apart and do not have as much of a taper as the one in Trace's picture.
I didn't know there was a difference, and it seems as the deluxe belts require a different clip for the back seat fastener.
FWIW, the 69 and 70 clips with the standard seat belt seem to have the same measurements.
View attachment 475125 View attachment 475126 View attachment 475127 View attachment 475128
Yes, those seem to be for the standard belts for 1970.

I thought ALL the belts for 1970 were the same and now I think I've figured out some differences.

My car has optional DeLuxe belts with pushbutton buckles. This seems to be optional across all the bodies. So, in 1970, there were two different belts available.

In 1971, the DeLuxe pushbutton buckles were standard for everything. I have a set of these belts that I should clean up and trade off.

;topic=18052.png

I think 1972 may have changed to the even narrower seat belt buckle that allowed the usage of the shoulder belt.

s-l1600.jpg

There may be differences between USA cars and Canadian market cars. I know in 65-66 C bodies there were.

Canadian 1966 C body seat belt had different buckles and inserts:
BUCKLE 2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

USA 1966 C body buckles
s-l300.jpg

There may be differences between USA cars and Canadian market cars. I know in 65-66 C bodies there were.

Canadian 1966 C body seat belt had different buckles and inserts:
View attachment 475134

View attachment 475137

USA 1966 C body buckles
View attachment 475138
What's really funny is the single bracket I have coming is on its way from Canada.

But, there was differences in '65 cars too. Possibly between assembly plants or vendors. My '65 Barracuda has slightly different rear (optional factory) belts than some others I've seen.

I have nothing like that in either of my cars, not even evidence there was anything bolted to the bottom of the seats. Guess mine didn’t have the deluxe treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back