1970 Chrysler 300 Electrical

Waggy

Reaction score
I have now found that the bottom right fuse keep blowing, any time I start the car. When |I look at the charging gage when I start, it maxs out when I start then backs off to 3/4 way across. I check the battery while the car is running and it is 13.6 volts.

I have replaced the alternator and the regulator. A few years back, I tried Halogen lights and that caused the circuit to over load and the car die. The headlights would go out, the door would close and then the lights would go on and the door open as I was driving. Other times I would be out driving and the car would just stop and it was like the battery was disconnected. The fuse link was OK. Sometimes, I would replace the fuse link wire and the car would go, but I think replacing the fuse may have just given something time to cool off and work again. I just do not know what that thing is.
I would love to find something that explains that whole system or find someone that understands it and could fix it. I do not feel safe going on trips with the car any more!

OK..I can help from across the country and will need some finer info..
Does the car have Sentinal system?
Does it have factory headlamp delay feature?
Your Halogen headlamps are they the H4 type? Are you running relays with the headlight upgrade?
Obviously,whatever fuse is popping is shorting out.
Do you know what that fuse is for?
Need to know.
Right away I would bypass the ammeter gauge with a shunt to avoid wearing out your best pair of sneakers while you call the Fire Dept.

I looked up what the "bottom right fuse" is in my FSM. That's the cigar lighter. You have a short somewhere in that system. Anything plugged into the lighters? GPS, phone chargers etc.? If there's still lighters in the plugs, pull them out and check it again. Don't forget the one in the back. If it still blows, you have a short in the wiring somewhere. The other possibility is someone has used that circuit to wire something else in, like an aftermarket stereo and cobbed that up.

Whatever it is, the issue is in that circuit. If you can't figure it out, just pull the fuse. It's nothing that affects how the car runs and you shouldn't be smoking anyway.

Oh and download a FSM here. No excuse for not having one. MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

OK..I can help from across the country and will need some finer info..
Does the car have Sentinal system? No

Does it have factory headlamp delay feature? I am not sure what you mean here. They seem to work like any other one, so I guess NO

Your Halogen headlamps are they the H4 type? Yes

Are you running relays with the headlight upgrade? I did not upgrade, I took the upgrade out as I was told it was drawing too much current and that was causing the lost of power and the car stopping dead.

Obviously,whatever fuse is popping is shorting out.
Do you know what that fuse is for? No I have not been able to find the fuse box in the service manual. I was told it was for the lighter.

I would like to understand 1) how the car cuts all of the power to the car and why 2) Why the generator is outputting so much current and 3) get the power windows to work.

Need to know.
Right away I would bypass the ammeter gauge with a shunt to avoid wearing out your best pair of sneakers while you call the Fire Dept.

ciggertte lighter?....probally shorted out at ashtray area..is where those usually go is closest to lighter re heat..may be a simple fix and wishfull thinking on my part...

ciggertte lighter?....probally shorted out at ashtray area..is where those usually go is closest to lighter re heat..may be a simple fix and wishfull thinking on my part...

Cigar lighter.... Not cigarette lighter. That's the terminology the FSM uses and it would be correct because a Chrysler owner would be expected to be smoking a cigar while driving his 300.
stuckup.gif

Back