1970 Chrysler 300 - Wiring Replacement

Waggy

Reaction score
Well, I am still working on the PainFULL wiring harness! I use to think I understood electrical diagrams! It could be age! I got lot/some of it done. The problem is figuring out what Painless harness does and what Chrysler does.
1) Painless expects 2 wires for the brakes and the 300 has one, so new I thinking how to wire it up using the second fuse box I added to the car. I guess, send power to the light and have it come back and ground through the brake switch?
2) I also need to wire up the inside lights to go on when I open the doors, so do I connect all of the bulbs in series and the connect the ground in parallel? I have not been able to get these lights to go on when I played with them at the battery. They have 2 connectors at the bottom and one filament. A pink goes to one and a yellow wire to the other.
The painless dome, park and marker wires seem to have issues.
I have contacted Painless 5 times and they have never been able to help. I am not sure they know what a Chrysler is!

Well, I am still working on the PainFULL wiring harness! I use to think I understood electrical diagrams! It could be age! I got lot/some of it done. The problem is figuring out what Painless harness does and what Chrysler does.
1) Painless expects 2 wires for the brakes and the 300 has one, so new I thinking how to wire it up using the second fuse box I added to the car. I guess, send power to the light and have it come back and ground through the brake switch?
2) I also need to wire up the inside lights to go on when I open the doors, so do I connect all of the bulbs in series and the connect the ground in parallel? I have not been able to get these lights to go on when I played with them at the battery. They have 2 connectors at the bottom and one filament. A pink goes to one and a yellow wire to the other.
The painless dome, park and marker wires seem to have issues.
I have contacted Painless 5 times and they have never been able to help. I am not sure they know what a Chrysler is!

I does not sound like you have the right harness for your application. What year 300 is this? The interior lights normally have a hot lead to the dome and console which is fused at the fuse block. The door switch supplies the ground to complete the circuit. The door switches operate independently of each other.

The brake light switch supplies power to the brake lights thru a set of contacts in the switch. One of the two wires is a hot lead off of the turn signal switch, the other wire is the hot lead to the bulbs at the rear of the car. The brake lights are grounded by the bulb socket so they do not need another ground.

If your car has cornering lights or sequential brake lights and turn signals, they are wired thru a set of relays and use a different harness. You should check the build sheet if you have one to verify those options.

Dave

Many of the factory harnesses won't use two wires/circuit. They will use one "feed" wire and then that part of the harness will either have a ground wire for it (as there is for each corner of the light harnesses) or self-ground at the item the wire goes to. It sounds like the Painless harness uses two wires for each device, when the factory only used one?

On the factory harnesses, they can use one "feed" wire to run more than one circuit/device, in some cases. You can see those junctions in the factory wiring harness, as the wires to the several circuits spread from it.

The dome lights are a self-ground situation, as it the trunk light switch. When the circuit is completed, the light illuminates. When the circuit is open (door closed, plunger depressed), it's off. Map lights are either "on" or "off", for example.

Remember, too, that the brake light circuit goes through the turn signal switch.

On the factory harnesses, there is an "engine harness", a "forward lamp" harness, a "instrument panel" harness, a harness that goes to the rear lights (down the rocker panel area), and a "rear lamp" harness. There will be grounds at each side of the forward lamp harness (lh and rh) and the same on the rear lamp harness (lh and rh).

I suspect the feed wire for the cornering lights would have a relay in it, but "feed" between the turn signal switch and the turn signal flasher (so it gets a solid current rather than a segmented one if it was wired to a flashing turn signal light instead).

Anyway, look for the wiring "feeds" and then look to see where they go and where they ground.

CBODY67

CBODY67

Last edited:
Well, the brake light switch I was looking at was the brake warning switch in the engine area and the switch is under the dash!

The inside "dome" lights still have me confused. I think it is a yellow and pink wire that connects to the light socket. The bulb has 2 connectors or nibbles where I would think the positive wire would connect. I have tried to get these bulbs to light up by direct connecting to the battery a wire. I connected the wire to one nipple and ground the other one, I reversed the + and _, I have put + to each of the nipples and grounded the outside of the socket, and never did the light come on. I have tried a different bulb. What am I missing?

Kinda guessing here, no 70 manuals, but it seems to me the pink is the hot and the yellow is the return that grounds via the pin switches, etc..

Back