For Sale 1970 Chrysler New Yorker Convertible $2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow might make the price lower.

Years ago, my father and his first cousin were in the used car business in Washington, DC. They went to a car auction in PA, and it was snowing. They bought a car they thought was a real good deal, only to find out after they got it back to DC, that all that snow was covering up a pretty bad body and paint. Pop was depressed about it and wondered what they were gonna do with the car. His cousin said: "Don't worry about it. Next time it snows we'll sell the car."

Really James? Flurries are not considered to be snow
Lol, I drove up to Allentown last January in ice and whiteout conditions just to buy a washer bottle. No, I don’t have time, nor interest in this one. If someone is seriously interested, call the guy and see when he is available, make all the arrangements and let the forum know, I’m sure someone might be able to check it out. I have been meaning to take the wife to “Christmas in Cape May”.....

I did that two years ago ....Awesome experience. Be sure to pick the houses you need to see ...DO the Physick Estate , pick a few houses as fillers as time allows .
If you pick close together places you can walk, which was beautiful. You'll need to take the Jitney to The Physick Estate and the Mission house

Were NY convertibles offered in Canada (but not in the US), much like Monacos were? Part of me thinks yes, but I never recall one being mentioned.
As far as I know, the last New Yorker ragtop was in 1961. I saw a '65 NY ragtop once, but then learned it was a fake - like the car in question.

Is it a fake or the guy perhaps never heard of or misread Newport...? I thing it's ignorance at it gleaming best

I had to look them up but couldn't find the specific mission house. Found a lot of nice examples.
Emlen Physick Estate - Wikipedia
Old House Archives

It was just so cool and out of place with a great story behind it ...

Mission Inn Bed and Breakfast in Cape May, NJ

2015-08-11-16-45-37.jpg.1140x481_default.jpg

Cape May Bed & Breakfast - Angel of the Sea - Offical Site!

The Angel was amazing too ...

22802462_135772860409608_9079539900008628224_n.jpg

So! I called him yesterday.. he doesn’t know much about the car, other than it does run off the bottle under the hood (as stated in his Ad) and shift into gear. He also says the windshield is broken. I explain to him the New Yorkers of that year did not come in convertible, maybe a Newport or 300, but that’s a car appear to have New York trim on it. He said if somebody put the trim on then they did a really good job because it looks stock, his words.. he said the interior, with exception of carpet, looks to be in good order. He said the top goes up-and-down but only manually, the top material looks decent as well, his words. He also said that the K member and driver side torsion bar needs to be replaced, also stated in his Ad, he doesn’t know how it broke and hasn’t been able to get under the car to see its condition, and hasn’t been able to put the car in the air to get a real good description of the floor pans. Here are the additional pictures you sent me.
2BE5853A-05AD-4AAF-A8FC-A49111B269D4.jpeg

A002B1A7-3C20-49A7-BEF7-CD78C00E50D4.jpeg

A924F1CB-D5C2-4766-A4DA-9D6B693603B2.jpeg

598072B2-5C87-4E5A-951A-E11D77B4EFCF.jpeg

3D238E55-0DDA-4547-AD58-11F009724001.jpeg

DAE85AE7-2420-400E-AC8A-93F390BB3151.jpeg

3EAB3385-71BB-47C9-A470-7C6F2701937A.jpeg

I’m going to call him back and see if I can get him to take a picture of the Vin tag.. i’m kind of digging this car!!

Because I don’t know, he says the broken K member can be repaired, but!.. if it really needs to be replaced, what all involved? I’m guessing engine, transmission and everything upfront has to be dropped out from the bottom? Someone school me real quick! If I could pick up his car for 1500 or so, and the K member replacement is doable for me, I just may pick it up.. what can I expect to pay for a good used K member and a set of torsion bars?

That's a backyard way, if you have right equipment (lifts & supports) you can leave fenders, rad support, & hood on. Not as easy as a K member car.

Sub frame or stub frame, whole front end has to come off. Like major un-bolting break car in half.
That’s what I was thinking, if that’s all it had to be done it might be worth it to me, But if the quarters, rockers and floorpan work has to be done as well, then I can’t do it. Eye on it would tell the tale though.. I may take a spend down there anyway just to see for myself. We’ll see.

Hmmm.. Electric seats, power windows, tilt wheel. Nicely equipped for a Newport.

The stub frame might be able to be repaired in the car. Of course that depends on how bad it is, but just throwing it out there.

Im curious if the frame is bad or just the torsion bar snapped . Perhaps the bar isnt bad and the frame is and thats why it went .

Those quarters and rockers look bad, its worth a look but I cant be positive on it.

This time of year is tough, if you need eyes let me know, now not until next Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back