For Sale 1970 dodge polara conv fixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

69monaco

Reaction score
Contact seller
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/round-lake-1970-dodge-polara-convertible/7196644711.html
00U0U_bSivFteaLuS_1320vC_1200x900.jpg

00303_gF2itfChCVw_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_aIk4pDDNCk5_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00808_aAfBx5qqcZK_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_fzOUeR8lSgc_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_n4xyQVDvdQ_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00808_4pgTiG5ro4o_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00A0A_7M1xoPCzUry_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00c0c_frWxwkaNDA3_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_dR84Uv8Ofcs_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_9rJSdkA21xF_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00505_7YJVnR9OKgI_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

1970 Dodge Polara convertible project car.

This car has been off the road since the Early 90s. Have various documentation from when it was on the road last and into the early 80s. This car spent a majority of its life in Northern Illinois was bought locally in Crystal Lake. It does have rust in the floor pans. It has had previous body work/repaint. Unfinished repairs to the subframe using auto rust technicians frame cap kit. Trunk and rear rails are solid. 318 car. Runs, drives, stops good enough to get onto a trailer, but not road ready.

Fender tag/buildsheet are missing.

Also included is a rough/rusty 71 Monaco Sedan donor car. 383/727/8.75

$3000 or best. Call or Text anytime.

((( not mine....... )))!!!

Last edited:
That’s the way you do it!:thankyou::thumbsup:

Early build.

Indeed! For the Polara aficionados (@polara71, @Fratzog, @71Polara383, @mdh157, @carfreak6970, @Cags70PolaraConvert, etc.), what's most noticeable about DL27G0D1011373 is that she is one of the oldest surviving 1970 Polara 'verts -- the third-oldest in Dave's registry!

This EB3 blue, L2B3 blue bench-interior, V3W white top, 318-2bbl ragtop must have been built in the first week of production in August 1969. Only two 1970 Polara 'verts are known to have "older" VINs: DL27G0D101310 (Brent's old car, SBD Aug. 2 1969) and DL27G0D101336 (whose tag I have never seen). Since 1310 has been "stripped and junked" (Dave's records) and 1336 was in a worse shape than this car when she was last seen in 2013 (and is thus likely dead by now), whoever buys this car and fixes it will likely have the earliest surviving Polara 'vert.

As the ad states, she needs floor pans. One way to bring her back would be to use DL23K1D199 as a metal donor. The latter has been for sale on FB in Santa Fe, NM for many months. See the discussions here. That southwestern '71 Polara 2dr does not have a title, however, so there may be legal hoops to jump through to make it happen.

Last edited:
I would love to see the tag on this one.

I would love to see the tag on this one.

From the ad: "Fender tag/buildsheet are missing." We can reconstruct it partly, however: Very few options: 318, no A/C, 2-speed wipers, no clock. All I see is B51 power brakes (which would not be on the tag), M85 front-and-rear bumperettes, and a couple of mouldings (I have never seen a '70 Polara 'vert without M25 or M31 moulding).

Last edited:
In particular the Scheduled build date. These early cars interest me no matter what model.

In particular the Scheduled build date. These early cars interest me no matter what model.
That’s why I provided the info above. The SBD was either Aug. 2 or 3, 1969.

If anyone has any questions about the car PM or call me. I made the ad for a friend, he bought the car in 1990 and has stored it with hopes of restoration down the line.

This car needs a good home, its a great blank slate to modify to fit your needs, and may be the oldest known vert. Kinda neat if that stuff is important to you.

I would say almost all of the significant rot is in the floors. Trunk pan has one small spot on the driver side, but is otherwise solid. The body was repaired/repainted at some point in the 80s, and it shows.

The 318 starts up and runs off a remote tank. The car does run and "yard drive" I wouldn't attempt to put it out on the road by any means at this point. (I was going to and ended up turning around almost immediately, needs brake work and the kickdown hooked up and adjusted)

Besides some rust, the interior is the worst aspect of the car. Time has not been nice to it, animals got into storage unit and destroyed the door panels. However all wiring and normal concerns with critters seems to be intact, and not chewed up. The key buzzer even works still. The convertible top needs replaced, it is white.

Have the original gas tank, intake and carb, and inner fenders.

Not looking to make a killing, looking to find the car a home, that said, the price is negotiable.

I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Thanks!

OK, let me use my lunch break for another post.

@polara71 -- I don't know why you disagree with my reply to @detmatt re: the tag. Most, perhaps even all, of the tag can be figured out using the info provided by @71Polara383.

As noted earlier, we know about the exterior color (EB3) and interior (L2B3) from the ad. The top was V3W white and the side molding inserts were V5B blue (I checked). Wyatt tells us that the lights on buzzer still works, which means that the car must have had the A01 "lights" package (correction: as @69CoronetRT pointed out below, the A01 package included the L31 fender repeaters, which this car does not have). The car has 2-speed wipers, so it did not get the A04 "radio" package. What it does have, as seen in the pics and confirmed by Wyatt, is a rear speaker. From @69CoronetRT, we know that no Y code was included on Belvidere cars till late October 1969, and since this car was built in August 1969 this tells us one more thing about the tag.

Granted, in addition to the scheduled production date (8/2 or 8/3), there are a few things that we don't know about:

(i) the radio -- there is a space for it in the dash, and the dash pad has a single speaker opening, so it was either R11 or R13. Since the car does not have the A04 package, it is almost certain that the car came with the R11 basic radio;
(ii) tinted glass -- the windshield does not seem tinted, suggesting the car had no tint (unless the windshield was replaced at some point);
(iii) pinstripe, if any. I don't think that V7 was available on Polara 'verts in 1970, however -- never seen any;
(iv) the opposite holds for the V01 MonoPaint treatment -- never seen a '70 Polara 'vert tag without it.

So, I submit that the tag must have read something like this (edited following Doug's and Dave's observations):

V01 V5B
V3W M25 M31 M85 R11
EB3 L2B3 EB3 80? ??????
E44 D31 DL27 G0D 1011373

Last edited:
Disagree again! Doug said no Y0 codes. I asked for clarification on the Y0 code if you recall.

@polara71 -- I don't know why you disagree with my reply to @detmatt re: the tag. Most, perhaps even all, of the tag can be figured out using the info provided by @71Polara383.

As noted earlier, we know about the exterior color (EB3) and interior (L2B3) from the ad. The top was V3W white and the side molding inserts were V5B blue (I checked). Wyatt tells us that the lights on buzzer still works, which means that the car must have had the A01 "lights" package. The car has 2-speed wipers, so it did not get the A04 "radio" package. What it does have, as seen in the pics and confirmed by Wyatt, is a rear speaker. From @69CoronetRT, we know that no Y code was included on Belvidere cars till late October 1969, and since this car was built in August 1969 this tells us one more thing about the tag.

Granted, in addition to the scheduled production date (8/2 or 8/3), there are a few things that we don't know about:

(i) the radio -- there is a space for it in the dash, and the dash pad has a single speaker opening, so it was either R11 or R13. Since the car does not have the A04 package, it is almost certain that the car came with the R11 basic radio;
(ii) tinted glass -- the windshield does not seem tinted, suggesting the car had no tint (unless the windshield was replaced at some point);
(iii) pinstripe, if any. I don't think that V7 was available on Polara 'verts in 1970, however -- never seen any;
(iv) the opposite holds for the V01 MonoPaint treatment -- never seen a '70 Polara 'vert tag without it.

So, I submit that the tag must have read something like this:

V01 V5B END
V3W A04 M25 M31 M85 R11
EB3 L2B3 EB3 80? ??????
E44 D34 DL27 G0D 1011373

I do like your efforts

As noted earlier, we know about the exterior color (EB3) and interior (L2B3) from the ad. The top was V3W white and the side molding inserts were V5B blue (I checked). Wyatt tells us that the lights on buzzer still works, which means that the car must have had the A01 "lights" package. The car has 2-speed wipers, so it did not get the A04 "radio" package. What it does have, as seen in the pics and confirmed by Wyatt, is a rear speaker. From @69CoronetRT, we know that no Y code was included on Belvidere cars till late October 1969, and since this car was built in August 1969 this tells us one more thing about the tag.

So, I submit that the tag must have read something like this:

V01 V5B END
V3W A04 M25 M31 M85 R11
EB3 L2B3 EB3 80? ??????
E44 D34 DL27 G0D 1011373

You included A04 when I think you meant to include A01. And IF A01 then L31.

Car 101360 has an SPD of 805 so it's highly probable this car had the same SPD.

Last edited:
Disagree again! Doug said no Y0 codes. I asked for clarification on the Y0 code if you recall.

Exactly. Why do you think I did not put any Y code in the tag and said "

You included A04 when I think you meant to include A01. And IF A01 then L31.

Nope, I meant A01. As per the dealership data book, A04 would include the 3-speed wiper, which is not here. As per the same book posted on the Hamtramck Registry, A01 should indeed include the fender repeaters (code L31). So you're right, but that leaves us with a puzzle: was there another way to get the buzzer?

101360 has an SPD of 805 so it's highly probable this car had the same SPD.

Can you pls point me to 101360? I don't have that car in my information set.

Last edited:
I’m still not seeing a stamped tag.:poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back