1970 Fury I stripper!

I was getting a little,, aggravated, with the lack of communication I was getting from them frankly. I’ve been shopping for another machine shop. I think they are very capable, but we had some communication issues that were getting under my skin.
Hopefully, it will all work out going forward.
Communication is about 75% of problems with us humans. Sharing expectations and understanding the other parties communication methods (and their ability to understand what you expect) are paramount.
Stay on them and don’t hesitate to ask questions!

Stay on them and don’t hesitate to ask questions!
so much depends on circumstances. here in eastern, ct everybody is slammed with work. if a shop is doing a lot of work for commercial / industrial / agricultural customers with equipment down, that's probably going to be their priority. here, hobby car stuff, well not so much. that type of work is almost like doing a favor. again, it depends on the very specific circumstances of a shop. communicate, but be cool. if dissatisfied, it's best to politely move on.

The pistons set deep in the hole on a slant 6. It’s not uncommon to remove .100 from the deck. I’m not going that far, just enough to square and true everything up. And maybe a smidge more to add some compression. The head will get shaved as well. Again, just enough to true it up. Not trying to build any kind of hot rod, but a 15-20 hp increase in power is there for the taking at this point. They will be assembling it as well, unless I get in the mood to do it myself!

so much depends on circumstances. here in eastern, ct everybody is slammed with work. if a shop is doing a lot of work for commercial / industrial / agricultural customers with equipment down, that's probably going to be their priority. here, hobby car stuff, well not so much. that type of work is almost like doing a favor. again, it depends on the very specific circumstances of a shop. communicate, but be cool. if dissatisfied, it's best to politely move on.
I’m going there Monday or Tuesday and discuss everything with them. Like I said, I think they are very capable. The facility is very clean and organized. They do mostly this type of work for individuals and I really don’t have a lot to gripe about. They’ve been busy when I’ve been there before so I didn’t try to hold them up by asking a million questions. Plus, at the time there wasn’t much to discuss being we didn’t know if I had a viable core to work with. Now that we do, they are going to take time to talk to me or there’s going to be a “come to Jesus” moment.

15-20 hp increase in power is there for the taking at this point. They will be assembling it as well.
that sounds fantastic. again, i hope it goes well.
I’m going there Monday or Tuesday and discuss everything with them.
that's what i do. fk calling. gives you a chance to project a positive attitude and hope that they respond in kind.

Stock Crank and rods. Haven’t selected a cam yet. It’ll be mild.
I meant to ask do they need any work as well? Grinding, balancing, polishing, honing etc....

I don't know much about the /6, only its predecessor. How many mains does it have, and do the rods share journals in pairs like the flathead?
EDIT: I found a pic of the block a few pages back. Answer: 4 mains.

Just a random pic..

2C19D5AF-712D-4B79-8CA1-4DAB515896CD.jpeg

I meant to ask do they need any work as well? Grinding, balancing, polishing, honing etc....

I don't know much about the /6, only its predecessor. How many mains does it have, and do the rods share journals in pairs like the flathead?
EDIT: I found a pic of the block a few pages back. Answer: 4 mains.
I’ll know more after I talk to them. The original crank just needed polishing. With two good rotating assemblies to work with I’d say they’ll pick the best of both. Again, this will be a close to stock build other than a little more compression,cid, and better cam profile, Only as a consequence of those parameters being altered due to wear.

Last edited:
I visited the machine shop yesterday and was pleased with my interaction with them. We sat down and went over everything, called suppliers to check availability of parts and looked over different options. Basically, it will be .030 over, balanced rotating assembly, and milled to achieve around 9.1 comp. using cast flat top pistons. This cam or one close to it will be used depending on price and availability.

0CC0339E-CDE5-4007-B290-6688C5AAFF6C.png

Last edited:
View attachment 579107 ouch. apparently in stock at summit. order now and have it for the shop to install as part of their assembly. 435 lift should have a great power band with that M/T and some gear. balanced assembly will spin up nice. gonna max out that 1bbl tho. what's a safe rev. limit f
View attachment 579107 ouch. apparently in stock at summit. order now and have it for the shop to install as part of their assembly. 435 lift should have a great power band with that M/T and some gear. balanced assembly will spin up nice. gonna max out that 1bbl tho. what's a safe rev. limit for a slant six?
I’ll not be going past 4500 much. We’ve found one cheaper than that but a different brand, can’t remember what. I must say, I got my wish for communication yesterday! My brain was scrambled by the time he was done going over everything. Talking about CC-ing the heads, piston depth, he was making on the fly calculations I couldn’t keep up with, but I’m not too sharp anyway! Lol.
I knew this would be a costly endeavor and budgeted a good chunk for the engine work alone. Everything is expensive these days. It can add up quickly. I don’t blow much money on anything else but these cars and even then it’s not near what could be blown. I try to stress how expensive this hobby is to newbies so that they don’t get in trouble when reality sets in. I gave $200 for a poorly cast exhaust manifold, around $600 for a gas tank, and I’ll be needing a radiator too. That’s over 1k for stuff that’s not upgrading either the looks or performance. In the past, I would say I was upside down in this car when I loaded it on the trailer. Nowadays, i dont know. Seems like it’s just Monopoly money because the price of everything is so crazy.
Again, I’m not trying to make any big performance gains, but if it can be bumped up for only a small or no additional cost, then why not?

A close inspection of this radiator revealed it’s probably not worth putting in. It’s out of an auto car so it’s not right anyway. I’ll probably go with an aluminum one.

0FA49D1B-FAB6-46BC-BD5E-2C6788D04FFF.jpeg

318BFAE1-2D86-4C16-883A-391BF278B836.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been scrubbing the underside, rust treating and painting. I don’t like undercoating. To me it traps moisture. This car never had any and it faired pretty well. I wire brushed, de-greased, soap and water with scrub brushes the best I could. Then I drenched it it rust treatment followed by Rustoleum. I’m not done yet but I’m satisfied that I’m doing it some good!

6E70388E-D86F-46CF-94B0-642C4CD77590.jpeg

I’m anxious to drive this thing! Meanwhile, I’m enjoying the decent weather and hanging out in the garage with it.

138484E1-9DDA-4044-AC47-0F47DB31C747.jpeg

Back