1970 Fury I stripper!

It's been about fifty years, but I recall in the mid 1970s when a neighbor was lamenting that he would be better off with a six instead of a 318 in his late sixties B-body, because of escalating gas prices. I think this is when some people blocked off the secondaries in their four-barrel carburetors for the same reason.
I’d say around ‘73 whoever had this car was pretty glad it wasn’t a big block car.

Reading material came in today. Where’s my reading glasses?

E3447BBC-E99C-4E3A-AAC7-B98B98453196.jpeg

If I were a budget minded new car buyer back in 1970 I think I would have chosen an A body slant 6 equipped with auto transmission and power steering. Probably would have been a cheaper initial cost and comparable mpg. That’s just me though. I guess American car buyers hadn’t quite warmed up to smaller cars by 1970. A few embargo’s and a crisis or two later changed our priorities years later.
Also, in 1970 it hadn’t been so long ago that a 230 flat head 6 was in cars almost as big as this. So, to many this was more normal than a 440 which might have been considered excessive by some. Just rambling….

F3544C74-8228-405B-8E89-AFA3FADFADC4.jpeg

Last edited:
If you can find a Toyota dealer today with both on their lot, look at the prices of a Corolla and Camry. A loaded Corolla is as much or more than a base Camry. The mileage isn't far enough apart to justify the purchase of the Corolla. I've owned a half dozen of both I'd rather have and still do drive a Camry today. I guess not much has changed.....

If you can find a Toyota dealer today with both on their lot, look at the prices of a Corolla and Camry. A loaded Corolla is as much or more than a base Camry. The mileage isn't far enough apart to justify the purchase of the Corolla. I've owned a half dozen of both I'd rather have and still do drive a Camry today. I guess not much has changed.....
I wouldn’t consider a Valiant with a slant 6, auto and PS as it’s only options “loaded”.

A brodie knob (alternative spelling: brody knob) is a doorknob-shaped handle that attaches to the steering wheel of an automobile or other vehicle or equipment with a steering wheel. Brodie knob - Wikipedia
The people selling those call them that , but you know what they are commonly known as!
I’m going to go ahead and give you second dibs on this car if I decide to sell it some day since you like it so much.
I intend to make a video driving the car around and giving my honest take on what it’s like. Where I usually drive it’ll be a joy. The only thing will be keeping up with traffic or summer city driving. No way around it, that will suck!

Just to show I’m not a stranger to a slant 6 rescue. This was the best running little car! Does anyone know what the license plate references?? Hint:I named the car “Patty” because I found her in the woods,

Last edited:
I’m going to go ahead and give you second dibs on this car if I decide to sell it some day since you like it so much.
thank you, sir. i do appreciate it. i think that once you get that car sorted out you might be pleasantly surprised at how well it operates. myself, if i should live long enough, the only other vehicles that i might like to own would be a model T or a double B truck.

thank you, sir. i do appreciate it. i think that once you get that car sorted out you might be pleasantly surprised at how well it operates. myself, if i should live long enough, the only other vehicles that i might like to own would be a model T or a double B truck.
I’m sure I’ll like driving it. I just like to gripe about things. I’m a curmudgeonly in my old age.
I’d like to have a Model A though I’m too big to drive one probably.
I have a’ 52 Ford 8n tractor that I use to bush hog, grade roads,and split wood. It’s never let me down. I love the old equipment and ways of doing things.

I went ahead and put some new tires on sooner than I was going to. They made the car take on a more “no frills-business only” look, and I like it. 215/75-15, nuthin’ fancy.

80C0F695-FEC9-4EE1-93C8-86652B3F0D81.jpeg

9B36DEA2-9897-4885-AB70-736019FEDCA4.jpeg

BB62A992-1B29-4BB4-B07E-F2BBBB85B63F.jpeg

Back