For Sale 1970 fury vert tx9 white top buckets console

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the SF grille is much better looking. However, in light of the fact it never came that way, the tail panel is still silver, and it's otherwise a high optioned car, I might have kept it original as possible.

I agree...I am just Monday morning quarterbacking. The grille is the easiest to change out.

Dave

i agree with the side that say's it should have the correct grille. it is not a sport Fury. the more that gets put on it for a sports Fury makes it more of a custom. with most cars I think customizing starts to hold the price down after a certain level.
I would however, still love to have this car, it is stunning

Original grill can be kept in the garage... This car is spectacular the way it was restored with the sport grill...period! I'm a bidder and wasn't even in the market... but this car is a once in a lifetime buy, and you could not duplicate this resto for even $75K. Bidding will hit or exceed $35K but I still say it'll be sold outside e bay. I hope someone really enjoys this car...

Original grill can be kept in the garage... This car is spectacular the way it was restored with the sport grill...period! I'm a bidder and wasn't even in the market... but this car is a once in a lifetime buy, and you could not duplicate this resto for even $75K. Bidding will hit or exceed $35K but I still say it'll be sold outside e bay. I hope someone really enjoys this car...

Good luck. Hope. You get it !

Really nice car. Not sure if I would have kept the Fury III grille on it or not.
Are there ANY 70 Fury verts left with the correct grille? It's getting to the point where every kid nowadays thinks that in the 60's and 70's the street were flooded with high impact coloured muscle cars and that SF convertibles were a thing in 70. I routinely have to remind my son that this is not how things were in the day.

Either somebody was anxious to sell or Tawny Gold is the biggest value killer since sand pebble beige! I'm curious to know how hard that guy tried. I know deals are out there, but I think that's an exception.

I definitely agree on the tawny gold comment - one of the worst colors they ever came up with. Awful. But when it comes to sand pebble beige (sandlewood), "what choo talkin bout"?? :wideyed:

Actually, though, I agree with you that sandlewood doesn't look good on a muscle car such as an E or B body, and makes it look cheap to me. On a C body though, it seems to offer some elegance as long as there is a matching vinyl top to go along with it. Otherwise, I think even the C bodies can look cheap with that color too.

70 300 #1 (3) (1).jpg
70 300 #2 (1) (1) (1).jpg

Last edited:
ahhh memories...Ty Safe
i had that car right there in that color with buckets and console.
440 tnt auto,and it was one of the best cars i had while in the army.
ended up giving it to charlie so he could fix his racecar/motor blew up.
later on,i heard it went up northeast somewhere and they restored it.
really hope they did,it was a great car.

ok, sorry if this was already asked, and I missed it, but need a little guidance here from you experts. The seller says the following, but doesn't this sound like he's saying the 440 SC (I assume code E86) was "NOT" available on Sport Fury GT in 70? It seems to be saying that the E86 was available on any Fury that year. I didn't' believe either statement was correct. Just trying to figure it out. sorry, if I'm missing something, thanks.

"FYI: in 1970, Plymouth altered the Fury's 440 engine availability from previous years. For one year only (1970), they deleted the availability of the E86 375 horsepower 440 engine, and replaced it with the E85 350 horsepower 440. Then they made that the standard motor on the Sport Fury GT (or optional on any other Fury that year), and called it the "Super Commando". It came with a dual snorkle air cleaner with a pie tin, but was painted blue instead or orange as in the previous year. A 440 six barrel 390 HP engine was added to the option list in 1970, but was only available on the GT model."

sorry, think i got it straight now keep forgetting this factoid.
SportFuryGT.com

As a member of Plymouth's "Rapid Transit System," The
Sport Fury GT was available with Plymouth's largest and
most powerful engines. In 1970 the choices were the
350hp 4bbl or a 390hp 6bbl. In 1971 the Super Commando
375hp engine was the only option.

just remember, this is a Fury III. no matter what gets added to it it still a Fury III

sorry, think i got it straight now keep forgetting this factoid.
SportFuryGT.com

As a member of Plymouth's "Rapid Transit System," The
Sport Fury GT was available with Plymouth's largest and
most powerful engines. In 1970 the choices were the
350hp 4bbl or a 390hp 6bbl. In 1971 the Super Commando
375hp engine was the only option.

just remember, this is a Fury III. no matter what gets added to it it still a Fury III
right, thanks, I got that, it just seems odd that in 70, the SF GT was not available with the E 86. Does anyone know particularity why they chose that decision? I'm just curious.

Because?

Here's the 70 Fury line engine availability minus the 225 (previous page).

70_Fury0006.jpg

right, thanks, I got that, it just seems odd that in 70, the SF GT was not available with the E 86. Does anyone know particularity why they chose that decision? I'm just curious.

Probably they wanted you to pony up for the 440+6 if you were looking for more go

I suspect that there would have been little noticeable difference between the E86 package and the 6bbl package in terms of performance. The U code engine was rated at 375HP and the 6 bbl at 390, whereas the E85 was 350. Very few bought the 6bbl package as it was, so offering a U code engine either as standard or optional would have probably made that 6 bbl hardly worth producing in terms of sales volume (which may be arguable as it was given the low sales volumes). But given what Chrysler chose in terms of the E85 and the 6 bbl, I am glad they at least made a "6 pack" available in a C body on one occasion.

There was an early road test of a Sport Fury GT that I have linked below that describes the testers' perceptions that despite the rating of the 6 bbl., they were disappointed in that it seemed tame to them:

Vintage Road Test: 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT – A Rare Road Test For A Rare Car

I have cars with the E86 440s in them and a Cuda with the 440-6. While the Cuda is much lighter than my cars with the E86, it seems the most noticeable difference in the two packages is a more immediate off the line response from the 6 bbl, but it is hard to gauge due to the weight difference. In general, while I don't think the Holley carburetors, especially the 4 bbls (4160s) were long lasting carburetors before giving problems that can't be fixed so easily, they in general always had better off the line performance than the Carter AVS carburetors in my experience even on the same application.

The car is at $30K now, reserve not met. There is a strong following for fusalge cars, and it's growing.

Top quality usually brings top dollar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back