1970 headlight switch replacement

a member here by the name of devinism rebuilds the dash dimmers.

I'm sure it's time for the obligatory dimmer switch rebuild (which yours truly does).

I highly recommend @Devinism — he redid the switch for my 1970 300 TNT ´vert. In short: excellent work, fast turnaround, reasonable price. What more can one ask for?

I hope you find something simple. Maybe even corrosion on the back side of the switch, and or terminals

I found a way to remove the headlight switch without taking everything apart. Took about an hour.
1970 Fury Headlight Switch Install, The Easy Way, Sort Of
I replaced the switch. On the old switch I had 2 ohms on B1 and 6 ohms on B2. I cleaned the spades with sandpaper, thinking "OK if I clean the spades, I'll get good contact across the connector. The system will work with 6 ohms."

When these switches get dirty inside, the heavy resistance moves from one side to the other. After I cleaned the spades, B1 resistance went up into the kilo ohms. I had no problem with the headlights while the switch was in the car. All the resistance was on the tail light side at B2. Now it moved. Like resistance hopscotch. On a different 1971 fusie, I had another switch do the same thing. I can't explain it.

The only thing I can say is that the replacement works fine.

I highly recommend @Devinism — he redid the switch for my 1970 300 TNT ´vert. In short: excellent work, fast turnaround, reasonable price. What more can one ask for?
I agree. He did the thumb wheel dimmer on my 1970 Convertible 5 years ago. The switch has been rock solid reliable since.

How did the cluster remove go? Did you have to pull the instrument cluster all the way out? Or did you find a way to sneak the headlight switch out without pulling everything apart?

I have to replace the headlight switch on my 1970 Fury. Worked perfect, then lost taillights, side markers, and dash instrument panel lights. 2nd fuselage headlight switch I've had with this problem. Wish I'd replaced the switch when I redid the dash in 2017.
I have not yet gotten around to replacing the headlight switch.

Back