SOLD 1970 Imperial LeBaron 4 Door. Mint Survivor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truly nice Imp. I'd risk my marriage if I made an approach, however. So I just hope it finds a good home.

(What's all this fuss about originality? Original battery in a 46 year old car? Oh, give me a break, guys.)

It's as nice as they get, and they don't make them anymore.

The air cleaner is its original one. At one point or at the factory or the first owner the pie tin was added. The heater hoses have been replaced and the battery is still the way it's pictured. So yes it is original.
That air cleaner is BEAUTIFUL! There's not a flake missing. Compare that to the rest of the motor and you want to believe that it's untouched? That's what "survivor" means, and it's why I hate the word.

You are kidding right? That's how I would describe it if it were my car.

Dave
No, I am not kidding. "Survivor" implies an untouched, original car. If items on the car have been replaced, or added, it's not untouched. The Corvette guys invented the term, and they only allow a few things. A freshly added air cleaner is not one of them. Neither are hoses that have been modified. Batteries are fine to replace, but in a competition, such a battery had better be a factory recreation or you just lost points.

Have you ever been to such a competition? I am surprised they don't check the owner's teeth!

Last edited:
Hi Ralph,

yes, it is me as you are used to from moparts ie.

My reply belonged to our member "snotty" who complained about the non original engine bay/battery.

Carsten
Let's be clear: I'm complaining about the use of the word "survivor." I have no problem with non-original engine bays - I have two cars with such. I just truly, and unreservedly, despise the word survivor. It's in the same category as "one of" for me. It's a way for people to try to raise the value of their otherwise mass-produced U.S. car. The car in question is a great, sweet ride. But the descriptor turns me off - and leads me to look for things that are not original!

Hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I can appreciate your point of view even if I don't share it.
You are quite passionate about it that's for sure. I remember a few years ago I heard the rumour the Vette guys tried to trademark the word "survivor".

In my eye you need less than an afternoon to rectify the things that you found fault with...I am just blown away with the overall condition of the car itself and the colour combo. I don't think I have come across another quite like it. Stunning car!

Dave

There are actually several levels of "survivor" and yes the Bloomington folks did trademark the word as it pertains to Corvettes.

IMG_2204.PNG

Hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I can appreciate your point of view even if I don't share it.
You are quite passionate about it that's for sure. I remember a few years ago I heard the rumour the Vette guys tried to trademark the word "survivor".

In my eye you need less than an afternoon to rectify the things that you found fault with...I am just blown away with the overall condition of the car itself and the colour combo. I don't think I have come across another quite like it. Stunning car!

Dave
The car is, indeed, beautiful.

Yes, the 'Vette people did sue, and lost. I believe it was the "Bloomington Gold" Club. I thought the suit was rather stupid, it would be like suing over the use of the word Muscle-car. Can the Mustang people really use it??? For shame!!! :D

Well... It looks like the Bloomington Gold Corvette guys invented the term and they are saying that 80% for "gold" status in all four sections. Interior, exterior, engine compartment, chassis. 66% for "Silver" and 50% for "Bronze".

So... There's the standard... Is that air cleaner etc. 50% of the engine compartment? I think it's less than the 20% of what's there... But even at 50%, in that definition, it's a survivor.

You know... I said I've seen this car personally and it is really nice. I also know Ralph well enough to say that he is not going to intentionally misrepresent what this car is or isn't.

If you don't like the car, don't buy it. If you want to rip on the description, I guess you can, but I don't get the reasoning behind it. It's a nice car and IMHO, it's priced fairly.

Too bad someone cut hole in the hood for a Formal hood ornament. Wrong look for a Fusey...

Wow... you never fail to amaze me, Mr C. The knowledge you have of these cars and how quickly you see the differences is impressive.

This is the list of extra parts that go with the Imperial.
Two Extra hood release cables, perfect

NOS front disc brake with hub

AM FM radio

Extra heater fan squirrel cage

White Post Rebuilt idler arm

White Post Rebuilt Pitman Arm

Driver door Side power switch assembly for all windows and door locks

Original #’s Carb (Date coded)

NOS Disc Brake pads

New Radiator

NOS Rear Door Handles

NOS coolant Bipas valve

Extra Coolant Bipas valve

NOS Driver side mirror

4 Polyglas Triple white wall tires with under 500 miles on them

Car cover.

Note Parts are not for sale, they go with the car.

Last edited:
Off season price, nice condition and not sold. I thought that somebody buys this immediately. Or are you guys just confused over there because of Mr Trump...

Off season price, nice condition and not sold. I thought that somebody buys this immediately. Or are you guys just confused over there because of Mr Trump...
Actually I haven't felt this at piece with a presidential election result ever. I just have no room, it's too far away, I can't afford to insure another car here in MI(don't get me started)..

If anything, last Tuesday gives me some hope! But I just bought a '69 Imperial and another C after that. No more room at the inn! If only President Trump could shift time/space and make these cars take up less room in my garage... maybe in a second term.

That air cleaner is BEAUTIFUL! There's not a flake missing. Compare that to the rest of the motor and you want to believe that it's untouched? That's what "survivor" means, and it's why I hate the word.

The Air Cleaner was sand blasted and refinished, It needed a great deal of attention. It needs to sit outside for a winter to mach the rest of the engine bay. Or one can find one that is original and swap it out if they so choose to.

I am real close to selling. I think with the Holidays and winter coming most are hesitant.

I am going to give it two weeks then I plan to pull the add and revisit the idea of selling this in the Spring. This addiction that I have is worse that drugs, the more I talk about it and spend time with the Imperial the more I don't want to sell it. I didn't buy this car to sell, I bought it to keep.

I don't thinkanyone will be able to find one that was never rusted or rotted or that has the options, color and that is in such amazing condition as mine at this price.

We'll see.

s-l1600.jpg
This is why I am entertaining the idea of selling the Imperial. I have looked for a 1979 Magnum GT with T-Bar roof, console, GT for 15 years and I finally bought one two weeks ago.

14915717_1298517906847064_3938071711880384931_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back