1970 Imperial LeBaron coupe, vinyl top padding

Superbird

Reaction score
I am replacing the vinyl top on my 1970 Imperial LeBaron coupe. Going with the black Levant grain vinyl top as it originally came with. Did these vinyl tops use a padding under the entire top, or just on the sides and/or around the back glass plug area? And how thick should the padding be? (I cannot use the current top as a reference as I suspect that it may have been replaced before. It has a relatively thin white padding under the entire top).
Also does anyone know of a good supplier of trim clips, both for the vinyl top moldings as well as for the upper and lower body trim? Thanks.

Was that additional padding over the rear window plug area there for visual effect or to better cover-up the presence of the plug itself?

As most of the currently-available vinyl top fabrics are thinner (in total build thickness and in the vinyl depth itself), you might need to find some polyester padding to add to that area?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Was that additional padding over the rear window plug area there for visual effect or to better cover-up the presence of the plug itself?

As most of the currently-available vinyl top fabrics are thinner (in total build thickness and in the vinyl depth itself), you might need to find some polyester padding to add to that area?

Just curious,
CBODY67
I would wager it was done in the name of efficiency. The insert has several deep screw holes used to connect the inside to the outside, along with the entire gap around the insert. With different expansion properties between the plastic or fiberglass insert, and the steel body, filler would likely crack over time.

I'm around 80 percent sure that the vinyl top I removed from my 75 Imperial was the original. I know, different year, but it does have the rear window plug with the deep screw holes. The vinyl seemed to have the same padding overall but all around the rear window was a white plastic strip to cover the plug. I'd say 3-4 inches wide and maybe 1/16 inch thick.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The vinyl top has now been installed. I used factory style padding around the rear glass and a thin layer of padding material elsewhere. Came our really nice.
The car is all done now. (Can be seen in the Showcase section).

I am replacing the vinyl top on my 1970 Imperial LeBaron coupe. Going with the black Levant grain vinyl top as it originally came with. Did these vinyl tops use a padding under the entire top, or just on the sides and/or around the back glass plug area? And how thick should the padding be? (I cannot use the current top as a reference as I suspect that it may have been replaced before. It has a relatively thin white padding under the entire top).
Also does anyone know of a good supplier of trim clips, both for the vinyl top moldings as well as for the upper and lower body trim? Thanks.
From having had padded vinyl top on a number of later GM products and on my 74 Crown Coupe, I know the 72 Imperial 4 door had virtually no padding on the top except the back section around the window. i know from learning to drive on my late grandfather's 1972 model in spring 1974. I did the order sheet when the purchased it in fall 1971 and knew it the entire life from the beginning until it was sold in 1977.

Back