1970 Plymouth Sport Fury Fender Tag

mcaracter

Reaction score
I’m looking at a 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury and the seller was kind enough to provide a fender tag. I’ve decoded some of it myself. Is that an A51 and does that mean what I think it means?

Unfortunately it appears the 383 has been replaced with a small block as the distributor is in back. I’m trying to gage how excited I should be about this car. It’s definitely rough but looks salvageable.

B17173E1-475C-4B9C-9914-AA32A980E118.jpeg

8B173E1D-03C5-47A6-AF51-4A99C9DB0F7C.jpeg

22EB3E31-9DA1-42ED-9EF5-A284E3140477.jpeg

FP6 is a nice color. Console and buckets in nice.

what does A51 mean to you?

Ok! I was having trouble reading some of the numbers and misread that as A51 (instead of H-51) which a vin decoder lead me to believe was an S-23. I was unaware that this roof was not available as such.

So, between the missing 383, not being an S-23, and the overall condition I’m not so confident it’s worth what the seller is asking.

What are they asking for it? That's a nicely optioned Fury with hide a way headlights in a very unusual color. Might be worth more than you think.

He’s asking $5,000 or best offer. There is some rust in the right lower corner of the rear window, the end where the right rear quarter meets the cap above the taillight, and the hanging sheet metal behind the right rear tires. The interior is very dirty. Haven’t even gotten to asking if it runs yet.

8CD98302-B622-4D9A-ABEE-6822FC59854F.jpeg

A24A5111-2CCD-4922-AEBE-DD25F6F0479E.jpeg

52A907F0-4ECA-4A14-B110-98796A9AF09B.jpeg

Bucket seat console car. That's cool. I certainly wouldn't pay $5K for it. Biggest issue with these cars is, it's getting harder and harder to find donor cars to help with rotted sheet metal. I'm still looking for a good driver's side quarter for my car and it's been, oh, 2 years or so. I have a formal roof like the one you're looking at and I had to replace both corners of my rear window.

I mean, I feel there’s enough here for someone looking to take on a project but I already have several projects. I was hoping for something a little more solid, by no means perfect. I don’t mind a car that shows it’s age, in fact sometimes I prefer it. This may be too much though.

More pictures please.

Cool optioned car. I've never looked in my code book at FP6. Frosted Teal Metallic.
Anyone have pictures of that color?

Man, is that thing rusty. That would scare me away. However I live in Colorado and I'm easy to scare with rust. Pennsylvanian rust is not something I would like to deal with, again.

I have to agree with a parts car price 2-3K. If you want a "project'.
The car appears to have issues with each piece that I look at. But I'm unfamiliar with these cars as I have not owned a fury yet.

Is the production date 8, August or B, November.

If it's an 8 it's a very early build car. First week of production?

Does the vin number make sense for it to be August? 102536
Would that be the 2536th built car for 70?

N95. On 70 Ebody this was a cali required item and only 0E cars got N95.

Would the N95 mean that the car was sold in california? Likely
Or just that someone picked N95 on their order form. Very unlikely

It definitely looks like the SPD is 806 (Aug 8) and the low order number and VIN would back that up.
The VIN’s at every plant start at 100000 so that car would be the 2536th car to be processed and assigned a VIN for that model year. They usually assign the VIN several days before the car is actually built and they rarely get built in order of the VINs although it can happen.

The N95 code in 1970 would indicate that it was built for the California market.

Last edited:
If you don’t care that you’ll have more into it than it’s worth to either turn it into a driver or completely restore it even if you paid nothing for it then go for it. Just pay as little for it as possible, 5K is way too much.

only 0E cars got N95. - LA didn't build E body convertibles meaning there had to be Hamtrack built (0B) cars that got N95.
N95 was not something the buyer could check off. It would be done at the factory.

70_BS27_E55_D21_FE5_138147.jpg

Back