SOLD 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury S23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Pedro come with the deal? Someone has to wash them...
Pedro stays with me. I hate mowing. He's offering Juanita though if you're interested.

c21f5627dfd392f6a20eb0c7fd60c77c.jpg

I'll repeat my mantra.
Said as if he's got only 1.:D

Sorry, I believe I screwed up. I think there were only two 383's in 70, E61 and E63. I think E65 was only used in 71. I get messed up because they combined the 70 and 71 into one parts catalog. E63 was Super Commando for 70.
I would agree also, only 2. The E61 is 290hp, E63 is 330.

My big question, which I've never seen concrete info about, is does the 383-4 have the same cam as the 335hp Roadrunner engine but rated lower for marketing reasons, or maybe due to the bend in the driverside HP manifold? Or a different cam?

This is from the 68 Fury brochure, so the hp increases seemingly came along with the -906 heads. Says the intake manifold is bigger (I agree it's taller for 68, but ports not bigger) and did the exh manifolds go from 2" outlet to 2-1/4" on the 2-barrel engines? It doesn't even mention that the 383-4 got HP exh manifolds, kinda suggests both engines have same manifolds. It is just a brochure, after all, not gospel.
upload_2017-1-7_18-29-35.png

Here's the 70 brochure, saying similar things.
upload_2017-1-7_18-31-34.png

It's the 4 barrel 383, so I guess I should change it to "Super Commando". I had always assumed the Super was reserved for the 440.

Pretty sure it's identical to RR engine, just rated 330 instead of 335.

Last edited:
Id like to know how many S23s were produced with the N. One of my 70 Polara convertibles was built with the N code, one of 19 built. It is such a performance improvement over the L code

I'll repeat my mantra.
If somebody has an unrealistic exorbitant price when compared to past market history and refuses to budge on the price, then the car is not really for sale.

By the way, my large collection of Corning Corelle dinnerware in the discontinued Sandstone Pattern with many rare pieces is FOR SALE for $11,000.00. The price is absolutely firm.
Gets thumbs up whenever it's used.

Yikes! For that price, I expect documentation. Original or repop boxes? Original sales ticket or bill of sale? All original numbers matching (same lot) or is this a piece together set?

Any more pictures? Do you accept PayPal?

I'll probably part this out and use the rest for my home skeet shooting gallery.

It's the 4 barrel 383, so I guess I should change it to "Super Commando". I had always assumed the Super was reserved for the 440.

Pretty sure it's identical to RR engine, just rated 330 instead of 335.

The RR engine was a different assembly and rated at 335 HP when equipped w/o A/C.

Well played Stan! Lmfao!!

You just edited this.....

With further reading I found I was wrong. That ok with you?

I don't get the adversarial attitude from some here.

This is a very nice car, never had rust, one family owned, low production number. The owner restored the car himself, because he loved the car and it was his mom's. He doesn't want to give it away....if you want the car, send me a PM and arrange to go look at it, then make an actual offer.

I didn't say he wouldn't budge from 22..The market will dictate.

With further reading I found I was wrong. That ok with you?

Absolutely. .. you seemed pretty steadfast before your edit. I was curious why the edit. We've had this discussion before on this board so I'm glad you sought the truth and recanted. ...:thankyou:

And, the market always dictates. I hope he has a line out the front door of people willing to pay 22

I'm glad to hear this car is an N-code, I think that's gonna help with the sale a lot. It looks like a fabulous car either way, but a 383-2 might've made someone want to wait for a car with more under the hood.

The RR engine was a different assembly and rated at 335 HP when equipped w/o A/C.
What is different about the RR engine vs C-body? What is different with RR when with AC, and is it then rated at 330? Holley goes with AC and Carter with non, right?

Yes - 440 spec cam, 1.74" ex valve, and Holley carb for 1970.
Yes, and to go further for future readers - all bigblocks had 1.74 exh valves when the -906 heads arrived in 1968, thru the end of production. Only difference between the std and HP engines would be the HP got upgraded valvesprings.

I'm glad to hear this car is an N-code, I think that's gonna help with the sale a lot. It looks like a fabulous car either way, but a 383-2 might've made someone want to wait for a car with more under the hood.

What is different about the RR engine vs C-body? What is different with RR when with AC, and is it then rated at 330? Holley goes with AC and Carter with non, right?

Yes, and to go further for future readers - all bigblocks had 1.74 exh valves when the -906 heads arrived in 1968, thru the end of production. Only difference between the std and HP engines would be the HP got upgraded valvesprings.

I had always assumed the '68-'70 330 hp 4 barrel 383 was identical to the Roadrunner/Bee engine and it was simply marketing BS to make buyers of those cars feel like they're getting something special. But the more I read, the more I feel I'm not sure anymore. Some sources say the 330 hp version was just a 2 barrel engine with a 4 barrel on top...some say it was identical to the RR engine with the hotter cam, windage tray, stiffer valvesprings, etc.

Anyway, the car is a 383 high performance with N code in the VIN. Monday I'll post lots of pics including VIN and fender tag. As the old saying goes "It is what it is".

Last edited:
I had always assumed the '68-'70 330 hp 4 barrel 383 was identical to the Roadrunner/Bee engine and it was simply marketing BS to make buys of those cars feel like they're getting something special. But the more I read, the more I feel I'm not sure anymore. Some sources say the 330 hp version was just a 2 barrel engine with a 4 barrel on top...some say it was identical to the RR engine with the hotter cam, windage tray, stiffer valvesprings, etc.

Anyway, the car is a 383 high performance with N code in the VIN. Monday I'll post lots of pics including VIN and fender tag. As the old saying goes "It is what it is".
:thankyou:................:thumbsup:

...Some sources say the 330 hp version was just a 2 barrel engine with a 4 barrel on top...some say it was identical to the RR engine with the hotter cam, windage tray, stiffer valvesprings, etc".
Generally, the 383-4 also had higher CR than the 383-2. I'm trying to find out about the cam, so can't speak to it, but it is NOT just a 4-barrel on top. You don't get 40hp with just a carb and dual exh upgrade.

I'm very curious as to how the market would compare this car to the $35k Snohomish GT we discussed recently. A notable price difference, but a notable 'value/desirability' difference also between S/23 and GT.
And the GT is down to $24,900. Life could be interesting for the guy with desire and $$ in his pockets -- 2 cars to pick from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back