For Sale 1970 Polara convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with the beautiful conv on the trailer???
Is it going to melt if it gets driven?
A ton of crap gets thrown at the car while riding on an open trailer...
Speaking of drum brakes if you use the correct lining material on the shoes stopping is not a problem...consult with the local brake reman company in your locale

Speaking of drum brakes if you use the correct lining material on the shoes stopping is not a problem...consult with the local brake reman company in your locale

Nope, the car was driven to Carlisle and dropped off for their C body celebration. The driver then returned home to drive another the next day. I had 3 C bodies and a truck there. Even though I did have four drivers, one doesn' t feel comfortable driving over bridges .
BUT, I did do it for more of an insurance policy. Many FCBO members were having car issues that year. The trailer served as a back up for me. If one broke down on the ride home I could switch it out with a running car and keep going ...

:thankyou:

In the fender tag Dave posted, I see D31 -- so it has an A904 transmission. Would that need changing, too?

I must say that I like the idea of a basic barge, less to go wrong/fix. Lack of AC is a bummer, so is the lack of disc brakes. Low power is fine, especially since it has drum brakes. I test-drove a 1969 Newport with drums (383 with just 2 barrels) that I was seriously thinking to buy last Fall, and driving that car like a boat (i.e., a ship) was the only way to go.

Dave (if I may -- we have never met, though I have read many of your posts), does the car look like it needs anything paint/body/rubber-wise? I'll be on the East Coast next weekend/week and may go see it with a mechanic if the car is still available.

What concerned me was the drive line. I know what time did to mine after 15 years. This has been sitting twice as long.
I would take great caution in waking this car up .
Yes, there are some scratches. No body rot, minimal surface rust. A few scratches, one from the riding mower parked next to it. This car should polish up excellently .

What concerned me was the drive line. I know what time did to mine after 15 years.

Pray tell.

This has been sitting twice as long. I would take great caution in waking this car up. Yes, there are some scratches. No body rot, minimal surface rust. A few scratches, one from the riding mower parked next to it. This car should polish up excellently .

Thank you, I really appreciate the info you have provided and also the photos of the car (and of yours -- it's simply beautiful).

Pray tell.

Thank you, I really appreciate the info you have provided and also the photos of the car (and of yours -- it's simply beautiful).

.pray tell? My rings were bad and I had the engine rebuilt 100% stock. The builder wanted to do something mild but I just couldn't.
When I got it she had 48000 miles, she now has 63000. I've had her 14 years now

20160717_135959.jpg
20160717_135921.jpg

FYI, the truck took second place in her class

Looking over these other pictures do I detect the leaf springs being flat at the very least or with a little bit of a negative curve to them. The only 69 I ever looked at out here had horribly collapsed leaf springs.
170979 2014 left lower quarter.JPG

Another 70 Conv also stored many years...originally a WI car, 92k actual miles

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 12.46.18 PM.png

Well, I took the plunge! Many thanks to all who have helped -- and especially to Patrick66, Imperialist67, and Polara71 for being so generous with their time and knowledge.

Here is some eye candy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

My plan is to keep the paint and chrome original. Starting tomorrow, I am having fixed what needs to be done so that it is safe, and then enjoy driving it.

Thank you!

The last time the car ran was in 1986. It was fine at that time. I took the gamble on the engine (I don't even know if it turns) and will see how it is. The battery is the one from back in 1986, so I take some comfort that no one has tried to start the car since it went on sale.

Cosmetically, it is pretty darned good. Not perfect, but I am quite happy. The only rust that Dave (a few years back), the inspector from Patrick 66's company (2 weeks ago), or I (today) could find is some minor surface rust in just 3 places. The seller, who's owned it since 1977, told me that he religiously washed the underside -- especially the inside of the rear fenders. Well, it seems to have paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back