For Sale 1970 Polara convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine has a lot of oil on it which puzzled me ...I DID inspect it a few years ago ...

170979 2014 odometer.JPG
170979 2014 right quarter bottom.JPG
170979 2014 left quarter bottom.JPG

170979 2014 right dash pad.JPG

I like the 70/71 Polaras, but am not keen on spending months on a "renovation." Questions for those who have seen the car:
1. the seller says that the car has not run for years and needs a little TLC. In your opinion, what are the main issues with the car (thinking about the comments re: "road grime", "oil", etc.)
2. did anyone get a list of options? Power disc brakes, power steering, and AC are important to me. Fender tag pic would be great.
3. Trying to understand the color. Is this a badly faded R6 red? Love the "old rose" look, but I don't think the color was available that year.
Thanks in advance!

Being a small block wouldn't run me off. Low mileage rust free cars are getting harder to find these days.

I like the 70/71 Polaras, but am not keen on spending months on a "renovation." Questions for those who have seen the car:
1. the seller says that the car has not run for years and needs a little TLC. In your opinion, what are the main issues with the car (thinking about the comments re: "road grime", "oil", etc.)

Any car of this age and mileage whether 30k or 130k would need to have the engine pulled and covers popped for inspection. List of to do's on a engine this age, Freeze Plugs, Valve Seals, Plastic Timing Gear, Front & Rear seals, and while you have the pan off check the bearing and decide if a rebuild is needed. Intake gasket (valley pan on big block) have a peek at the cam lobes & lifters. All this is done after a Cold & Hot compression check. Of course when the engine goes back in new wires, belts & hoses, carb rebuild, Radiator Boil & Pressure check, water pump, (this can give you a true idea on mileage).
While the engine is out do the front seal on transmission, with also the rear at your discretion, + pan & filter. U-joints grease would be all dried out so replace those too.Then on to the chassis, All brake rubber parts would be a safety item to replace, Inspect calipers & wheel cylinders for rust pitting, Master Cylinder too, Power booster, flush lines etc. Shocks of age need to be replaced, suspension components can be left till the car is road worthy unless visible wear is detected, ie you can shake the idler arm up & down and see movement. Your choice on Gas Tank & fuel lines, inspection or replace. Axle bearing & seals replace to protect your new brake job, Pinion seal as needed option.
Then you can move on to the fun part of the interior and/or A/C electrical...

Now all this can be pared down if you have well documented recent maintenance records/bills via a local shop preferably still in business that you can talk to the owner/mechanic.

Other than that if it's just pulled out of the barn & hosed off with needing some TLC well... ever heard the word 'DeathTrap'?

Last edited:
Off the top of my head ...R6 red, power drums and steering. Am radio, NO air ...no other goodies . BUT it is solid. It probably hasn't moved since 85 as they say.
I believe they are the second owners....

Thank you both!

Hello All,
That car's paint color looks a lot like my 70 Conv should have been years ago. The original red color was darker in hue and I can see it in the trunk of my car. On this particular car the underbody does not appear all that clean, but did I read that it is actually solid? Is that a fuel leak in the tank on the one pic?
Thanks, Joel in Santa Fe

Hello All,
That car's paint color looks a lot like my 70 Conv should have been years ago. The original red color was darker in hue and I can see it in the trunk of my car. On this particular car the underbody does not appear all that clean, but did I read that it is actually solid? Is that a fuel leak in the tank on the one pic?
Thanks, Joel in Santa Fe
170979 2014 splash shield.JPG
170979 2014 trunk center 2.JPG
170979 2014 fender tag 2.JPG
170979 2014 left lower quarter.JPG
170979 2014 right quarter 2.JPG
170979 2014 right quarter top.JPG
170979 2014 &  187134.JPG
170979 2014 voltage regulator.JPG
170979 2014 garage.JPG

Hey Joel, Its been a while. Yes, the car is the same color as yours but has a lot less options. Yes, It is in remarkable shape. I was never sure what was leaking, at the time the car was first listed it was listed for $200,000 and the owners believed it

While there I told them I dont me to be insulting but the car is worth about ten grand . They were going to let the ads run their course . They knew I wasnt buying but still tolerated me poking around regardless . Nice people ...

Thanks for the pictures. They are very revealing. At $10k, that's not a terrible price although still many unknowns in the mechanicals. It's amazing that car hasn't been ruined sitting for so long.

In Pottstown PA . Sitting in a 3-4 car garage. I' m not sure if I had to have it I would leave it alone. I' d either polish it and leave it alone or modify it and be happy I have a rot free convertible

Kind of a counter point to that. Based on pics and Dave's inspection if a 70 Polara vert in that color is on your list don't let the 318 be the stopping point. Good reliable, economical engine. Will it run down a 440 or 383? Nope. Will it cruise all day long at 75mph and get 20mpg? Mine does. And from personal experience years ago, was able to tap a 340 dart on the back bumper at top end:)

The 318 makes me hesitate to consider it along with the distance.

Yea nothing wrong with the 318 even with the 2bbl carb. Good highway speed with the right gears + mileage.
Ya know with this car and the owners thinking they have a gold mine and all the time it's been on the market that they would do a little TLC on their own. Like give the thing a good washing!
I mean your don't have to take it and have the Full Monte detailing (hate that) but the barn dust and other grime do not represent a 30k car.
Or do they think the patina is worth 190k?

Oh and thanks polara71 for the extra pics, to me that is a gas tank leak IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back