For Sale 1970 polara ; funny car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up messaging the owner. Because this cars strikes me something fierce.
It is exactly the type of car I like to have around.
@71Polara383 's
Blue car is probably my favorite on this site. Something with nearly no restrictions of use.
In the summer we will go to the river and leave soaked and just jump in the 300 and roll. But nobody is parking their wet *** in my Coronet!
Or the 300, after it gets upgraded out of respect for its service.
This car fits the bill perfect. I don't care about the roof window. I would be far more concerned about the headliner and pulling the interior so it don't catch fire while patching the roof. The patch is nothing. 3 hours plus some paint that don't blow the patina. Hell, I replaced the entire roof of my 66 GMC Suburban because somebody cut in a sun roof. Currently in the storage unit, the 300's new roof is leaning next to it. I hope to have a convertible for one day this fall.

Unfortunately, this car is 1500 miles away. A 1000 miles beyond the border behind a secondary perimeter that Citizens can't even cross.

Brutal logistics.
But for the interested, the Owner did say he would be willing to work with a shipping company for pickup. But knows nothing about the process.

I have been doing a little research on the subject. As I know nothing about it myself. It seems to be a bit of an undertaking. With the added restrictions it may take months for somebody that knows what their doing.

If that car was built for the Canadian market it will have Fury II seat and door panel patterns. the codes may reflect that.
Canadian 70 Monaco's will have Fury III seats and door panels.
Hope this helps.

It does help, thanks!!!

The Fury II L1F8 trim pics from the Hamtramck Registry (copies at the bottom of this post for convenience) are an exact match for the fabric, sewing pattern and door panels of this car.

I RE-learned something today. Your post perfectly complements the info that @Bill Watson had provided last year, and that I’d somehow misplaced: 70 Dodge C body research help please

@c-barge, one more question: the green dash would be the same as a US car with green interior, right? What about the steering wheel?

D7BAC03E-D279-44F1-AB5C-9CE8D2B4D191.jpeg

648E5472-BACC-41F5-820F-E646D92F441A.jpeg

For comparison, Fuselage.de has a picture of the bench seat from the Canadian Polara Custom (which this car is) and it is indeed a match:

upload_2020-4-19_9-52-24.png

Last edited:
I ended up messaging the owner. Because this cars strikes me something fierce.
It is exactly the type of car I like to have around.
@71Polara383 's
Blue car is probably my favorite on this site. Something with nearly no restrictions of use.
In the summer we will go to the river and leave soaked and just jump in the 300 and roll. But nobody is parking their wet *** in my Coronet!
Or the 300, after it gets upgraded out of respect for its service.
This car fits the bill perfect. I don't care about the roof window. I would be far more concerned about the headliner and pulling the interior so it don't catch fire while patching the roof. The patch is nothing. 3 hours plus some paint that don't blow the patina. Hell, I replaced the entire roof of my 66 GMC Suburban because somebody cut in a sun roof. Currently in the storage unit, the 300's new roof is leaning next to it. I hope to have a convertible for one day this fall.

Unfortunately, this car is 1500 miles away. A 1000 miles beyond the border behind a secondary perimeter that Citizens can't even cross.

Brutal logistics.
But for the interested, the Owner did say he would be willing to work with a shipping company for pickup. But knows nothing about the process.

I have been doing a little research on the subject. As I know nothing about it myself. It seems to be a bit of an undertaking. With the added restrictions it may take months for somebody that knows what their doing.
Yes it is a bit of a process. It sounds like the best thing to do is hire a competent hauler who has brokerage capabilities. There is a lot of customs papers to complete by both sides including fees to be filled out in advance.

one more question: the green dash would be the same as a US car with green interior, right? What about the steering wheel?
Obviously the car has the incorrect steering wheel.Looks to be 74 and newer.
Yes the green dash with the lighter shade woodgrain is correct.
Funny thing is even though the AutoPact agreement was signed in 1965, Chrysler was still catering to the frugal Canadian market by installing Fury interiors in full size Dodges that were actually built in USA. By 1971,72, or 73 everything was streamlinedincluding sharing the same dash as Fury
On the other side of the coin,most A bodies sold in the U.S. were built in Windsor,Ontario.
Regardless of what mopar body style,the fender tags and broadcast sheets do carry a code for "built to Canadian Specs" or "export" or buitl to U.S. specs for example.

Question for our Canadian members, especially (but not only!) the Yahoo board stalwarts like @Bill Larson, @kmccabe56, @Fratzog and @My70monaco.

1. This Polara was built with an F1F8 dark green fabricants vinyl bench interior. The equivalent US interior was L1F8. Was there a difference in the color of the door panels and dashboard between the two?

2. When was the last 1970 Polara scheduled build date?

3. The Hamtramck Registry has scans of the trim book for the US Polara. Is there an equivalent book for the Canadian models?

Excellent question's!

Obviously the car has the incorrect steering wheel.Looks to be 74 and newer.
Yes the green dash with the lighter shade woodgrain is correct.
Funny thing is even though the AutoPact agreement was signed in 1965, Chrysler was still catering to the frugal Canadian market by installing Fury interiors in full size Dodges that were actually built in USA. By 1971,72, or 73 everything was streamlinedincluding sharing the same dash as Fury
On the other side of the coin,most A bodies sold in the U.S. were built in Windsor,Ontario.
Regardless of what mopar body style,the fender tags and broadcast sheets do carry a code for "built to Canadian Specs" or "export" or buitl to U.S. specs for example.

If that car was built for the Canadian market it will have Fury II seat and door panel patterns. the codes may reflect that.
Canadian 70 Monaco's will have Fury III seats and door panels.
Hope this helps.

Great answers!

And was I the only one expecting a '70 Polara funny car? Like a one peice, lift up, fiberglass bodied 5 second drag car. Never seen one of those.

One more question, and @cbarge might know the answer: would a 318 have been painted red on a 1970 Belvidere Polara built for the Canadian market?

I think that roof hatch is from a 2nd Gen Ramcharger. Pretty effective at exchanging air with minimal noise. This is a more useful mod than many I've seen suggested.

No. Corporate blue, regardless of plant for 1970

So 1969 was the last year for red 318's on Canada-bound cars built at the Belvedere plant, as Nick has indicated? If so, would that mean this Belvedere-built 1970 Polara (I've seen the fender tag) has a non-original (pre-1970) engine, or that the original was repainted in red at some point in the car's life?

Last edited:
So 1969 was the last year for red 318's on Canada-bound cars
My convertible was built in Belvidere and has the original 318. It was sold in Illinois and spend its life until the mid 90's in CO. When I got it the car was an old ladies winter beater in the London area. The 318 was blue and I and repainted it the same colour after rebuilding it. I'd be astounded if they painted 318s going to Canada from Belvidere a different colour. As far as I know no 70 Polaras were built in Canada. On a side note my 68 Monaco 500 was built in Canada but the original motor long gone.

My convertible was built in Belvidere and has the original 318. It was sold in Illinois and spend its life until the mid 90's in CO. When I got it the car was an old ladies winter beater in the London area. The 318 was blue and I and repainted it the same colour after rebuilding it. I'd be astounded if they painted 318s going to Canada from Belvidere a different colour. As far as I know no 70 Polaras were built in Canada. On a side note my 68 Monaco 500 was built in Canada but the original motor long gone.

Wait! No 70 polara convertible was built in Windsor BUT I thought C production stopped in Windsor stopped in late 69. So, they did build polaras there into October / November . ?

I thought C production stopped in Windsor stopped in late 69. So, they did build Polaras there into October / November ?

Not the answer to your question, but the car for sale in Flin Flon was built in Belvidere (VIN contains the G0D sequence) for the Canadian market (its VON starts with a C, and there is a Y07 code on the tag).

If the write up is honest, and it seems to be reasonable, that doesn't seem like too bad a car to me. Stuff like the hole in the roof and typical seam rust in the C pilar isn't a big deal either. A seemingly nice bare bones basic car for those who like such models. It also seems to have manual disc brakes, which would be a rare option too, judging by the master cylinder and as noted it has cruise for the long hauls. The washer bottle might even be OK, although it appears it might have a crack in it, but at least it isn't broken/caved in it appears.

I can understand some folks wanting a car like this at least.........................................

Wait! No 70 polara convertible was built in Windsor BUT I thought C production stopped in Windsor stopped in late 69. So, they did build polaras there into October / November . ?
Sounds good. I guess I've never run across a 70 Polara built there. Are there any in your database?

The car is no longer for sale on Kijiji. Hopefully whoever bought FM23G0D327189 will post about her on FCBO. Here is the fender tag, for records. What makes this car special, other than the fact that the only options were the auto trans, vinyl top and radio, is that it was built on July 24, 1970 -- it must have been one of the last cars built for MY 1970!

FM: Dodge Polara Custom (Canada)
23: 2 Door Hardtop

G: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
0: 1970
D: Belvidere, IL, USA

327189: Sequence number

E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.

EA4: Silver Metallic Exterior Color
F1F8: Trim - Cloth & Vinyl Bench, Green (Fury 2 trim used on Canadian Dodge Polara)
FF8: Dark Green Metallic (Dodge), Ivy Green Metallic (Plymouth) Int. Door Frames

724: Build Date: July 24
C52759: Order number (C indicates a car built for Canada)

V1F: Full Vinyl Top, Green
M25: Wide sill moldings
M31: Belt Moldings
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V01: Mono Tone Paint Treatment
Y07: Build to Canada Specs

Y16: Sales Bank
END: End of Sales Codes

$_1 fender tag.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back