For Sale 1971 300 ( NOT MINE )

Status
Not open for further replies.
A serious buyer should be looking for evidence of a repaint.

Given the pandemic-related restrictions on in-person business, I respectfully disagree. The seller has owned this 300 since new and states explicitly that the paint is original: he has included that information prominently on the auction site where the car is being sold. If the car had been repainted, then he would be lying -- something that the buyer would soon discover after getting the car. Where I hail from, that would expose the seller to a lawsuit and potentially to penalties.

I therefore submit that it is pragmatic to take him at his word on the paint matter: the paint's being original would not just affect a buyer's valuation of the car but in fact some buyers' (myself included) very decision to be interested in the car at all -- so, in case of a repaint, a buyer like myself would go after him to the full extent of the law (including seeking to recover time/energy wasted).

On a lighter note, the seller provided all the exact pics that I requested (something that is hard to do when one has something to hide), and I am personally comfortable with the way in which he has answered all of my questions. Please don't take this to the bank, and do your own due diligence if you wish to buy the car, but like @hergfest I really think that nothing nefarious is going on.

Last edited:
I wonder if Ford sourced from the same? I've seen tutorials on repairing the Mopar wheels using the Ford switch.

Yes, I have sourced a Ford switch that worked on one of my tilt-tel steering columns but given the environment back in those days, I seriously doubt Ford would buy anything from their cross town rival who had an attitude of anathema towards each other. Chrysler was just looking for the cheapest part and didn't have such silly hang ups.

Given the pandemic-related restrictions on in-person business, I respectfully disagree. The seller has owned this 300 since new and states explicitly that the paint is original: he has included that information prominently on the auction site where the car is being sold. If the car had been repainted, then he would be lying -- something that the buyer would soon discover after getting the car. Where I hail from, that would expose the seller to a lawsuit and potentially to penalties.

I therefore submit that it is pragmatic to take him at his word on the paint matter: the paint's being original would not just affect a buyer's valuation of the car but in fact some buyers' (myself included) very decision to be interested in the car at all -- so, in case of a repaint, a buyer like myself would go after him to the full extent of the law (including seeking to recover time/energy wasted).

On a lighter note, the seller provided all the exact pics that I requested (something that is hard to do when one has something to hide), and I am personally comfortable with the way in which he has answered all of my questions. Please don't take this to the bank, and do your own due diligence if you wish to buy the car, but like @hergfest I really think that nothing nefarious is going on.

I do think Fred has a valid point in that the seller would have been better off not having the photos of the car over-enhanced colorwise (as may have been done by his son or something to make the dowdy color more enticing which could be misleading to some) but then again the discussion of the photo oversaturation has brought this car more discussion/exposure than is usual for these models on this site. I don't think anyone is falling for the photo enhancements, but if someone did and got the car home and looked at its real color, their jaw would likely drop in a very negative way IMO. I really love J4 green, but this car is as far away as one can get to that color of green.

a buyer like myself would go after him to the full extent
An expensive proposition with an uncertain outcome but then I'm the same way.
and I am personally comfortable with the way in which he has answered all of my questions.
For the reasons you stated this may be the level of verification that in today's circumstances a buyer has to live with and go into it with eyes open knowing the risk.
I really think that nothing nefarious is going on.
On the balance of probabilities you may be right.

Well folks, I was the high bidder in this auction, but the seller got a private offer and let the car go. He messaged me last night but I did not receive the notification and just saw that he'd accepted that offer. If the deal does not go through, he and I will revisit my max bid.

Well folks, I was the high bidder in this auction, but the seller got a private offer and let the car go. He messaged me last night but I did not receive the notification and just saw that he'd accepted that offer. If the deal does not go through, he and I will revisit my max bid.
:mob:

Thank you @LocuMob and @cbarge -- the way I look at it, it simply means that it was not meant to be. It ain't over till the fat lady sings, of course...

As well, this is a warning for future eBay auctions in which I may participate: I won't rely on their email notification service, as apparently it failed in this case. The one email that really mattered did not come through (yet I got 3 copies of the seller's previous message...).

The silver lining is that, with this car gone, I may now go after a '71 300 to which a member kindly alerted me, which is in a color I strongly prefer.

:drama:

That sucks, I was really looking forward to seeing it in person. FWIW, selling an item off the eBay platform is against the rules. Autos might be different, but I'd report it, they don't take kindly to loosing out on their pound of flesh fees.

Thank you, but I have no reason to report the seller. First, he did the right thing by alerting me: it's the eBay interface that screwed up (by not sending me an email alert). Second, I have no reason to believe that the offer he received was not made through eBay in the first place.

At the price at which this 300 sold, I am pretty sure it will not get messed up and the buyer will take good care of it -- which is what matters to me, not whether I myself get the car. I hope that a member got it: if so, then we'll hear about it sooner or later...

:popcorn:

Last edited:
@Samplingman — The car sold for $12.5k sight unseen. I would not have bid higher anyways, so in theory I should have no regrets as I liked the car but did not love the color.

This said, I may yet regret passing on it. Original, rust free and in good mechanical condition — the buyer did well IMHO.

No, not a bad price for what it was. An original ‘70-‘71 300 in that condition is rarer than a Hurst. Let’s hope it found a good home and not a never-ending flipper cycle.

Sorry guys,as a Canadian Mopar Appraiser,the only pictures that should qualify are original,untouched,unmodified photographs with time stamps.I have also owned two 1971 Chrysler products.An original 1971 Newport Custom,383-2bbl., 4 door hardtop with factory Auto-Temp 2 A/C and a 1971 Chrysler 300 4 door hardtop with a T-code 440-4bbl. with Auto-Temp. 2 A/C, both automatic transmission cars and regular 8 3/4 diffs. with 2.76 ratio.

Sorry guys,as a Canadian Mopar Appraiser,the only pictures that should qualify are original,untouched,unmodified photographs with time stamps.I have also owned two 1971 Chrysler products.An original 1971 Newport Custom,383-2bbl., 4 door hardtop with factory Auto-Temp 2 A/C and a 1971 Chrysler 300 4 door hardtop with a T-code 440-4bbl. with Auto-Temp. 2 A/C, both automatic transmission cars and regular 8 3/4 diffs. with 2.76 ratio.

Welcome Raycer to the site.

As a Canadian appraiser, what is/was the condition of each of your two 71 Chrylers and what price point do/did you appraise them at (use a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being highest in terms of condidtion)? Do/did the Auto-Temp 2 a/c systems function properly? Just curious what you would value your two cars at this time.

Do you believe the 71 300 2 door listed in this thread was worth the price it received based on the photos you did see and interpolating between the lines as to the actual vs. enhanced colors in the photos supplied with the listing and the other claimed attributes of the car?

I am just trying to ascertain what a professional appraiser would value these cars at the present time since I own more 71 Chryslers than an other make.

I believe you have great taste in automobiles. :)

Not a "gotcha" question at all.

:thankyou:

Below are some photos of one of the 4 door 71 300s I sold overseas three years ago now................I would have rated it at about a 7 overall and no rust. There was no photo saturation/modification at all. The car had 75K miles as I recall and was turn-key as I went through the car completely to resolve any issues and it ran excellent. It had original paint too. The a/c was manual but the buyer didn't want me to get it to operate. The color of the car was GF3 amber sherwood metallic.

2017-07-23 21.21.21.jpg
2017-07-23 21.32.50.jpg
2017-07-23 21.34.16.jpg
2017-07-23 22.04.02.jpg
2017-07-23 22.21.25.jpg
2017-07-23 22.35.56.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Raycer to the site.

As a Canadian appraiser, what is/was the condition of each of your two 71 Chrylers and what price point do you appraise them at (use a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being highest in terms of condidtion)? Do/did the Auto-Temp 2 a/c systems function properly? Just curious what you would value your two cars at this time.

Do you believe the 71 300 2 door listed in this thread was worth the price it received based on the photos you did see and interpolating between the lines as to the actual vs. enhanced colors in the photos supplied with the listing and the other claimed attributes of the car?

I am just trying to ascertain what a professional appraiser would value these cars at the present time since I own more 71 Chryslers than an other make.

I believe you have great taste in automobiles. :)

Not a "gotcha" question at all.

:thankyou:

Below are some photos of one of the 4 door 71 300s I sold overseas three years ago now................I would have rated it at about a 7 overall.

View attachment 373250 View attachment 373251 View attachment 373252 View attachment 373254 View attachment 373255 View attachment 373256 View attachment 373250 View attachment 373251 View attachment 373252 View attachment 373254 View attachment 373255 View attachment 373256

None of your 1971 Chrysler photographs came through on this post.What I use as a rating guide is the latest year of Collector Car Price Guide.This rating guide is published by "Krause Publications of Iola ,Wisconsin.There is a whole list of parameters involved with car appraisals.We in Canada use National Standards procedures set up by National Auto Clubs of Canada.Now in the United States,why not use Hagerty or Grundy Insurance for online quotes.Besides those mentioned,I always inspect any vehicle I appraise in person only!
Being a licensed mechanic helps with my overall assessment of a classic car.Also have been involved for years with my local mopar club.You should look for a qualified classic car appraiser in your area.If you connect with a local Chrysler classic car club,they should be able to help.
The two 1971 Chryslers that I owned were comfortable and powerful highway cruisers.Loved them both,however that was 20 plus years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back