NOT MINE 1971 Chrysler 300 El Paso TX

Samplingman

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Not mine. This is an odd one with the 999 paint code and the K in the VON.

1971 Chrysler 300 Series | eBay

You are bidding on original Chrysler 300, 2 Door, original drive train 440 727 auto.

Motor: very strong, very solid.

Does have rust pinholes in trunk.

Still original interior.

Bucket seats.

Sheet metal all original except for passenger's fender passenger's fender was replaced years ago, everything else is pretty much factory original.

0DBEA8DF-DAD2-43A8-9BF2-547EAD997015.jpeg
9C38A391-6837-4154-94E2-9C786A8B6D97.jpeg
058E57F5-C79A-48A6-BC01-0EF0C24B90AD.jpeg
58B68671-B161-4A25-AACA-505DFF176452.jpeg
1A68C0EE-7A2C-4A25-8F79-1C08C4E970F1.jpeg
17C617B6-8A47-4BD1-90FC-DC14A1401ACD.jpeg
A1D717F1-1AB0-4956-BAB7-3AE7F1388807.jpeg
C7BF6384-CA7F-459D-A673-426E33B92AED.jpeg
25051A9C-0D0D-41CE-862D-E6E3E8A4577F.jpeg
110FF3BB-BA01-480B-86F5-1800421CB89A.jpeg

Left to bake in the Southern sun for a very long time. All the moldings are gone including tops of front fenders and body side ones, and no posts to mount the body side ones. No door panels and wasted dash pad. Low optioned with an am radio, bucket seats and a/c and that is about it. Its only redeeming value is the sheet metal seems solid and it has a passenger outside rear view mirror. It was probably a nice car when it was new and the B7ish color is fine. No vinyl roof car. Kind of sad...............................

What does the K VON signify?

Y39 special order, special paint and K von. @69CoronetRT any ideas?

Typically associated with 999 special paint. You see it a lot on 'cop cars' but other examples of non fleet 999 paint with K VON exist.

Yet, one can also find 999 paint without the K VON.

Just another one of the things that keeps me awake at night....

I just thought it might be a interesting to call the seller to find out more about the history of the car. It was owned by a collector of Mopars apparently who lived in California and he was one that would never sell any of his cars. Then the seller learned that its owner had passed so he inquired about the car and was then able to acquire it. He has had it 3 years and it has been sitting outside for at least that amount of time.

The interesting thing though is I asked him how many miles were actually on the car or what the odometer reads. He told me it reads 48xxx some miles and then I asked him how the brake pedal trim looked and he claimed it looked good. So the fact that the engine runs well (he routinely runs the engine on fresh slave fuel to idle it for awhile and keep it in good shape he said). So there is some chance it really doesn't have 100K miles on it and when he wrote the listing, he said he was guessing based on the condition of the car, but I believe the poor condition overall is likely due to mostly sun damage because the car seems relatively straight as best we can tell.

So I believe finding this out may make the car more desirable to a potential buyer (I am not one since I already have too many and this car has too few options) so I am posting this so that perhaps someone on this site might be more interested. Just something to consider.

The color looks darker than B7, perhaps B9. Maybe since B9 was not available as a Chrysler color that could explain the 999 paint code?

The car seems to even lack the (optional) light package, hence no fender mounted turn signals and therefore no chrome trim on top of the fenders.

The missing studs for the (equally missing) side trim are somewhat of a mystery, though.

The car seems to even lack the (optional) light package, hence no fender mounted turn signals and therefore no chrome trim on top of the fenders.

The missing studs for the (equally missing) side trim are somewhat of a mystery, though.

It seems over 90% of the 300s I have seen have the L31 light package, but you are correct, this one lacks them - it makes the car look incomplete to me or said another way, cheap............................... One can still put the side trim plastic fasteners on though, but it isn't easy, but well worth it to my eyes.

ive always thought the 71 300 grille looks more like it should have been on a Sport Fury than on a Chrysler

Does anyone know how much special paint on a single car cost?

Perhaps it was so expensive there was no money left in the original owner's budget to add more options.

ive always thought the 71 300 grille looks more like it should have been on a Sport Fury than on a Chrysler

For many of my earlier years, i thought the 1970 grilles were best among fuselage Chrysler 300s. But over time, and looking at the many fuselage 300s that I have, I have grown to prefer the 71 grille over both the 69 and 70 versions. While the first two years were more colorful and well detailed, I found I preferred the overall clean and more simplistic grille on the 71s more than the others. My triple black 300 makes the point the best (the rear quarter will be fixed soon!) but to me the fuselage contours combined with the elegant simplicity of the grille and the integrated bump strip in the front bumper hits the bulls-eye for me:

1649728576926.png

But that doesn't mean that I don't admire the grille on my 1970 very first fuselage 300 that I bought back in 1972 from Birmingham Chrysler - Plymouth's used car lot in Detroit either - to me it is still excellent.

1649730122549.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to complete the saga on this 1971 Chrysler 300, apparently the seller realized before the listing ended that the car did not have a title, so he is working with his wife to get an official title for it before he relists it, so it isn't gone yet for those who were interested in it.

When it comes to 69-71 Chrysler 300 grille designs, it's one of those cases where I have no favourite/ cannot decide...I like them all for different reasons/ esthetics they each have.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much special paint on a single car cost?

Perhaps it was so expensive there was no money left in the original owner's budget to add more options.

Here are two windows stickers from 69 that show it as a NO COST item.

99_paint_cost-down.jpg

I seem to have missed this thread at the time. Does anyone know where CS23T1C147236 is now?

Edit: found it.

Last edited:
Back