1971 colorado state patrol 2 door e85 fury 1

Surmising on why it was parked. I would offer up that it was for the same reason all the rest were parked. It was a ten year old car that nobody cared about. Cars changed a lot every decade and people drove less. I have had a ton of cars from this era and with almost no exception they have all had 80 some thousand miles on them. Cars are driven into the ground nowdays. A 10 year old car has 245k + on it and due to the cost of new cars they will continue until its not financially feasible to drive.
The only cars I can remember not getting running had issues related to the storage of the car. Like somebody pulls the carb for a different car and the humidity gets in and the cylinders with open valves lockup. The exception to that was jumped time due to a stripped out or fractured nylon timing gear.

Surmising on why it was parked. I would offer up that it was for the same reason all the rest were parked. It was a ten year old car that nobody cared about. Cars changed a lot every decade and people drove less. I have had a ton of cars from this era and with almost no exception they have all had 80 some thousand miles on them. Cars are driven into the ground nowdays. A 10 year old car has 245k + on it and due to the cost of new cars they will continue until its not financially feasible to drive.
The only cars I can remember not getting running had issues related to the storage of the car. Like somebody pulls the carb for a different car and the humidity gets in and the cylinders with open valves lockup. The exception to that was jumped time due to a stripped out or fractured nylon timing gear.
A lot of it is also that in the early 80's everyone was starting to drive smaller cars and trying to find a space to parallel park these big bitches in the city were getting harder & harder.
On my 1968 Fury III after it got binged up from a rear'ender accident and IDGAF, I would back into a small space and push the shitbox to the rear back and then do the same to the car in front giving me plenty of room to get out :wideyed: On one time the car in front keep rolling after a push, I guess I broke the transmission park spall.

:rofl:

Sorry for the slight pause in updates on the fury.

Life happens. One of my cornea transplants is not doing well at all. Fingers crossed I dont have to go through this again.

I had big plans of getting her running, and, since she is a 71, taking her to carlisle for her debut.

Still time, hopefully back on it in a couple weeks.

Life happens. One of my cornea transplants is not doing well at all. Fingers crossed I dont have to go through this again.

I had big plans of getting her running, and, since she is a 71, taking her to carlisle for her debut.

Saying a prayer for you. Hope all goes well

Carlisle?! Thats a long haul from Colorado! Looking forward to seeing it there!

Robio, you've definitely picked up an unusual car. Its configuration raises a number of questions. Not having seen the entire VIN, and just looking at the photos you provided including the fender tags, I see the following:
1. E85 = 440 motor
2. A38 = police pkg.
3. F36 & F37 = possible right & left 5" spotlights
(F33 & F35 were 6" spots)
4. F38 = reinforced roof for light bar
5. F58 = right rear reinforced weld
6. Y39 = special order
7. EW1 = white exterior color
8. V01 = monotone paint
9. Correct police aux. map light
10. Correct interior trim

Things that are unclear:
1. Whether speedometer is certified (although quite blurry, it appears to exceed 120 mph).
2. Whether the floor is carpeted or industrial rubber.
3. Presence of mounting holes on driver's side roof for red light, but unable to determine if matching holes are on passenger side. You claim two red lights were removed.
4. You state you observed "serious exhaust hangars and brackets." This could be consistent with the F58 "reinforced RR weld."

Things that are odd, unusual or inconsistent with evidence or text:
1. Presence of cb radio. (Meaningless.)
2. "440" engine call-outs on bottom corner of front fender. May or may not be factory installed. Photo of CHP Fury from 1973 map does not have it. Photo of Rhode Island squad by other subscriber does.
3. You claim the 1973 Colorado road map which depicts the CHP squad with the trooper standing next to it "sealed the deal" that it was identical to yours. Unless I'm missing something, that photo clearly shows a 4-door sedan, not a 2-door like yours. On the other hand, the photo of the Rhode Island squad is obviously identical to yours (thus "sealing the deal" for me!).

Lastly, being from Wyoming, and quite familiar with Colorado State Patrol livery, I know that vintage CHP units were white with spotlights on both sides.

Taking all of the above into consideration, notwithstanding some of the inconsistent items, I'd have to say you've stumbled onto a bona fide CHP unit. Perhaps the 2-door cars were used by various state agencies for special purposes, such as pursuit or senior management (and not necessarily prisoner transport or confinement). Well done, and good luck!

[/QUOTE said:
Things that are odd,

2. "440" engine call-outs on bottom corner of front fender. May or may not be factory installed. Photo of CHP Fury from 1973 map does not have it. Photo of Rhode Island squad by other subscriber does.
i dont believe 73 furys had engine call outs, but 71s did
my 71 wagon has em
20160509_143356.jpg

Engine call outs on the bottom of the fenders were standard on all '71 Furys with a 360 or larger engine.

A38 package would include a certified speedo (140mph in the case of Plymouths & Dodges) & the HD rubber flooring.

The one map picture clearly shows a '71 2dr next to the red car captioned "Colorado State Patrol" below it

20201213_141517.jpg

Things that are unclear:
1. Whether speedometer is certified (although quite blurry, it appears to exceed 120 mph).
2. Whether the floor is carpeted or industrial rubber.
On Page 5 of this thread there are pictures proving that it is a certified 140 mph speedo and that the car has the rubber floor covering.

Thanks guys, I hadn't checked the thread for awhile, have some medical stuff going on.

Yes, it is a 2 door Colorado State Patrol pictured in an official 1973 road map by the Highway Departmant. The speedo is certified, rubber floor.covering, grounding straps everywhere... all of that, and an incredibly clear broadcast sheet to boot.

Hopefully can see better next week and get back on it. I need to because I pulled the trigger and signed up for Carlisle. Besides that, I am going nuts waiting to fire her up and hear that 440 through dual exhaust.

Thanks to all.for the kind words during my break.

There is one thing I need to do before I put the tank back in..

Here is a photo of the vent lines. It was a little shock at first, I never worked with one of these tanks with so many vents.

I know that no one will see them, but I want to do it right. Can I buy these stock clamps and a crimping tool still? I havent started the hunt yet. I dont want to just throw in a bunch of hose clamps
20201119_141949.jpg

I think they go by a variety of names. Not sure but I think the official term is Oetiker Pinch on Hose Clamps. They should still be available from many sources.

Back