1972 Imperial Ride Heights - Did they differ?

Even on the press photo it looks the same height as your 72 so my guess would be you're fine

_20200104_011841.JPG

The front can come up a tad unless you are happy where it is at.
Keep in mind it drops when you get in....LOL!
The rear not much you can do until the springs settle....or load the trunk with beer!!
I'm getting the tape measure out tomorrow and we can see where its all at! Thanks!

Front & rear heights on my 72 Imp. Pics aren't the best.
View attachment 342022 View attachment 342023

Okay, I did some measuring.
My twin (SIXPKRTs CAR) measures in at:
FRONT: 26.5-inches
REAR: 16.5-inches

My car measures in at:
FRONT: 29.75-inches (+ 3.25-inches greater than Twin)
REAR: 19.5-inches (+ 3.00-inches greater than Twin)

Wow - no wonder I thought I looked taller than other cars!

I also discovered (had forgotten) that I installed air shocks. It must have been during the years I drove all over the USA for work. My trunk and rear seat was always loaded with clothes, gear, equipment and miscellaneous stuff so I must have felt they were needed. When I depressed the schrader valve, no air came out so they are completely empty. First thing I plan to do this week is disconnect the shocks and see if they are bottomed out and adding height to the rear. Standby for updates! Thanks everyone for the posts! Thank you SIXPKRT for the pics and measurements!

It’s a beautiful car as is. I would leave it as is.

and if it really bothers you, I’m sure I would love to buy it!

Okay, I did some measuring.
My twin (SIXPKRTs CAR) measures in at:
FRONT: 26.5-inches
REAR: 16.5-inches

My car measures in at:
FRONT: 29.75-inches (+ 3.25-inches greater than Twin)
REAR: 19.5-inches (+ 3.00-inches greater than Twin)

Wow - no wonder I thought I looked taller than other cars!

I also discovered (had forgotten) that I installed air shocks. It must have been during the years I drove all over the USA for work. My trunk and rear seat was always loaded with clothes, gear, equipment and miscellaneous stuff so I must have felt they were needed. When I depressed the schrader valve, no air came out so they are completely empty. First thing I plan to do this week is disconnect the shocks and see if they are bottomed out and adding height to the rear. Standby for updates! Thanks everyone for the posts! Thank you SIXPKRT for the pics and measurements!

Doesn't the service manual give factory spec'd ride heights?

Doesn't the service manual give factory spec'd ride heights?

It does. Those fender measurements are a quickie that were floated around by alignment shops. The real measurements are to be done from underneath by measuring the distance from the floor to to the lower ball joint, then the floor to the where the torsion bar goes into the lower control arm and subtracting one from the other. Or something to that effect. The specs are in the FSM.
Always set the ride height first, before any other adjustments, otherwise the front can act squirrelly.

It does. Those fender measurements are a quickie that were floated around by alignment shops. The real measurements are to be done from underneath by measuring the distance from the floor to to the lower ball joint, then the floor to the where the torsion bar goes into the lower control arm and subtracting one from the other. Or something to that effect. The specs are in the FSM.
Always set the ride height first, before any other adjustments, otherwise the front can act squirrelly.

1972 Plymouth Chassis Service Manual

Page 41

Height

Front suspension heights must be held to specifications for a satisfactory ride, correct appearance, proper front wheel alignment and reduced tire wear.

The heights should only be measured when vehicle has the recommended tire pressures, a full tank of fuel, no passenger or luggage compartment load and is on a level floor or an alignment machine rack.

(1) On Imperial Models clean all foreign material from bottom of lower ball joint assemblies and bottom of torsion bar front anchors.

(2) Jounce vehicle several times releasing it on the downward motion.

(3) On Imperial Models measure distance from lowest point of front torsion bar anchor at the rear of lower control arm flange to floor (measurement A) and from the lowest point of ball joint housing on same side (measurement B) to floor (Fig. 3) measure only one side at a time.

The difference between A and B (A always being greater than B) is the front suspension height.

(4) Refer to Specifications and adjust if necessary by turning torsion bar adjusting bolt clockwise to increase height and counterclockwise to decrease height.

(5) After each adjustment, jounce vehicle before remeasuring. Both sides should be measured even though only one side has been adjusted.

(6) Measure other side in same manner. The maximum allowable difference in suspension height from side to side is 1/8 inch on all Models.

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 8.57.44 AM.png

Page 56

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 8.58.48 AM.png

One of the reasons the 72 in the press photo looks taller is because of the Bias Ply tires' profile - which are taller than today's radials.
An L78-15 is still .7 of an inch taller than today's 23575R15 radial.
1973 Imperial did offer a radial tire but even then tire techology and outer diameter was still different compared to today's limited choices for Imperial owners .

Back