1972 K-Member Dimension Trivia Challenge

Kenyon Wills

Reaction score
I "think" that the unibody shell stampings from the firewall back are the same between Imperial and the others.
I "think" that the Imperial K-member adds 3" of wheelbase to the Imperial but is otherwise using same mounting holes/hardware.

Excluding all else, will a stripped down C body shell accept either/both Imperial/non-Imperial K-members.
I am asking about nothing else - not sheet metal or anything.

I have seen 74/75 Imperial front clips on 74/75 wagons.
I have not seen such for 72/73, but I am not asking about making a wagon, just mounting bolt-hole interchange potential.

I am NOT asking about sheet metal or anything else, and would like to know how you KNOW based on some fact or experience rather than guess or opinion.

Thank you in advance for considering this question.

Excluding all else, will a stripped down C body shell accept either/both Imperial/non-Imperial K-members.
I am asking about nothing else - not sheet metal or anything.

I have not seen such for 72/73, but I am not asking about making a wagon, just mounting bolt-hole interchange potential.

The answer to your question is ---- NO.....

And this answer is from experience as can be attested to by other members of this board .....

I don't have a FSM newer than 1970 for Chrysler/Imperial so I looked in my '70 FSM and in the body/frame section, there are dimensions for the stub frame. Since every FSM I've seen has these dimensions, it seems to me that the 72/73 will have the same.

A quick look and I see it's an inch longer between a couple major mounting holes, but look it over yourself. Here's a screen shot from my '70 FSM

KFramd.jpg

(BTW, it's a stub frame and not a K-frame when referring to C-bodies)

As to the wheelbase differenced, it IS in front of the cowl. Got into that one in an Imperial Club forum years ago. Body shell floorpan and such have the same dimensions as the normal Chryslers.

'74+ Imperials were on the same body as New Yorkers, which is why the Imperial front sheet metal fits (probably the same fenders).

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I don't have a FSM newer than 1970 for Chrysler/Imperial so I looked in my '70 FSM and in the body/frame section, there are dimensions for the stub frame. Since every FSM I've seen has these dimensions, it seems to me that the 72/73 will have the same.

A quick look and I see it's an inch longer between a couple major mounting holes, but look it over yourself. Here's a screen shot from my '70 FSM

(BTW, it's a stub frame and not a K-frame when referring to C-bodies)

And while looking @Big_John ,, look at how the stub is attached
on a Chrysler (as in NewYorker) in regards to rubber isolators and
how the Imperial stub is attached...
"C" body has a stub frame....
"Y" body has a stub frame and a "K" frame....
:) :) :)

Thanks for the reminder that the Imperials had an isolated K-frame in their stub-frame. That was for additional road NVH isolation. Obviously to put the Imperial above what normal Chryslers had in that respect, for the "after 1966 through 1973" era.

CBODY67

Back