1972 Polara 4 door sedan

I'm really enjoying the Polara project. I'm glad to see you bringing this one back to life. I've always found the front end styling to be odd and cool at the same time.

One of the first cars for sale that I looked at as a teenager was a black '72 Polara 4dr HT. Sadly, the car was really hammered and not worth considering. Also sad was that it was only 10 years old at the time.

Jeff
Thank you! I’ve always wanted one, and finally found this one. At first the green was a turn off but, it has grown on me over the few months I’ve owned it.

All part of the saga,,,,I’ve took on a side job of restoring a 87 Chevy K1500 in order to fund my Polara restoration.
I’ve thrown in an equal amount of Polara pics to keep it on topic. This side job should get my 9.25 sure grip funded, plus some of the interior!

0908D1D7-FAE8-4BBD-9522-FE3D01208BD3.jpeg

D8BB809C-5F52-4F6B-9F2D-5B4F59B464B6.jpeg

F0FFE52D-0F9A-4BF0-8646-610F355AAA9A.jpeg

92783238-AB29-4009-9F6C-4725DA50C137.jpeg

The guy who owns the Chevy truck came by and saw my Polara. After listening to it and looking under the hood he said, “I’d like for you to do that to my old truck some day”. I said, “depending on the spending, that could start today.” He looked at the Polara for a little while, started it up and listened to it again, thought about it, and said “ this is what I want. Get started, I’ll have my wife come get me.”
I pulled the Polara out, put his truck in, and had the engine out the next day. He wants body work too, we’ll see if he gets the limber-tail when the $ starts adding up. I’ve done his ‘71 Stingray convertible, ‘55 Chevy, and a 67 C10 before. He usually gripes at first but, ultimately coughs up the cash.

And, while the Chevy engine is at the machine shop, truck pushed out, Polara back in the garage!

33FF1A97-D8B8-48F7-BD45-9E816304C5C5.jpeg

I haven’t put tags on it yet so,on rainy days like today (or most any day) if I’m not busy working on something, I go out in the garage and look at my Polara. I open and close the doors, trunk and hood. Wipe around on it, clean the cracked windshield for the thousandth time, take the power steering cap off and peer down in reservoir, (why, I don’t know, it doesn’t leak), I’ve contemplated that messed up positive battery cable and how I’m going to put a new one on it.
I’m like a big dumb kid who has a new toy. I’ve never owned one before or knew anyone who had one. I don’t think I ever saw one in person until I saw this one. But, I saw them on TV and movies when I was a kid in the 70s mostly as police cars or taxis.
As long as I can remember I knew that a 1972 Dodge Polara 4 door sedan was THE car for me. Maybe I’m crazy! Here’s some new yet redundant pics after a little waxing...

99F038EA-AED8-4A17-9516-A10EF987568B.jpeg

C9AF3116-383C-4D0D-A255-37FE783687E8.jpeg

0DAB680C-53B4-4CEB-99C3-A30D781DA264.jpeg

A lot of progress in a short time!! Thanks for sharing. Enjoying it! How are the headers holding up? I contemplated them when the 360 was in the Monaco. Didn’t think they would work, but they seem to do the job.

A lot of progress in a short time!! Thanks for sharing. Enjoying it! How are the headers holding up? I contemplated them when the 360 was in the Monaco. Didn’t think they would work, but they seem to do the job.
Thanks! So far so good on the headers. I plan on tagging the car tomorrow and start driving it daily. They fit great and the exhaust shop had no problem plumbing them up to the old exhaust that I took off of my big block 73. Just had to change the down pipes.

Hope you have a favorite Lay Z boy and lots of beer, I'm going on year five. Hoping to get glass installed if it ever stops raining.

Hope you have a favorite Lay Z boy and lots of beer, I'm going on year five. Hoping to get glass installed if it ever stops raining.
I have an office chair and some Kentucky Bourbon that I sit in and sip while I look at my car in the garage.
That’s about to change tomorrow. I’m going to sober up, put tags on it and drive!

Lol, Michters Bourbon is one of my favorites, but I don't look at my car, too depressing.

Well, my last post reminded me of this song,
The lyrics say, “I’m going to leave you tomorrow, but that’s the same thing I said yesterday”. I drink Evan Williams. Kentucky’s first distiller. Nothing to brag about. But it makes my knees stop hurting temporarily. My point is, I talk a big game, tomorrow will tell if I actually do what I say. Stay tuned! mm

Last edited:
I agree, Bourbon is for medicinal reasons only, bad knees, bad days, broken bones, broken dreams. Lol, sounds like that song really got to me. Think I'll go have a taste.

I agree, Bourbon is for medicinal reasons only, bad knees, bad days, broken bones, broken dreams. Lol, sounds like that song really got to me. Think I'll go have a taste.
Be careful! Whiskey and women wrecked my life. My preacher (who is also my barber) tells me that I will fill a drunkards grave.

Back