1973 Imperial pitman arm / idler arm

Marv

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

the idler arm and pitman arm on my 73 Imperial are completely worn out. I think I can send the core to rareparts and have rebuilt. But I´ve also read that the parts off New Yorker do fit. There is a difference but to my understanding that is negligible. Can somebody please confirm that before I waste my money?

Thanks

I did a comparison with my 73 Imperial and Newyorker idler arm, I ended up using a good used one from Murray Park. I could not have the car unusable while waiting on a part rebuild, but know I have a core to have rebuilt.
Imperial idler arm vs 73 New Yorker idler arm

Thank you for your reply. Using the New Yorker idler arm, did you notice anything that would bring you to the conclusion that the NY part is not good for a permanent use?
Also do you have experience with the pitman arm or would you suppose it´s the same? If the New Yorker parts fit, I would order them. The problem with my arms are not the bushing that are worn but the arms themselves. The attachment / heads of the arms are shot, so fitting new bushings won´t solve my problem

Thank you for your reply. Using the New Yorker idler arm, did you notice anything that would bring you to the conclusion that the NY part is not good for a permanent use?
Also do you have experience with the pitman arm or would you suppose it´s the same? If the New Yorker parts fit, I would order them. The problem with my arms are not the bushing that are worn but the arms themselves. The attachment / heads of the arms are shot, so fitting new bushings won´t solve my problem
What attachment point, the centre link end or frame end? I not sure that doing both idler and pitman would put your arm into the oil pan.

I´ll check that on monday with my mechanic and take pictures. If replacing it with NY parts is no option and finding good ones is impossible, I will maybe have them copied by a metal shop with a cnc machine. That will be expensive but it´s the way it is

I´ll check that on monday with my mechanic and take pictures. If replacing it with NY parts is no option and finding good ones is impossible, I will maybe have them copied by a metal shop with a cnc machine. That will be expensive but it´s the way it is
Try the NewYorker pitman/idler. Then send the old out for rebuild. The NY arms are shorter and don't hang as low as Imperial.

Back