1973 Plymouth Fury

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
My dad is sick of his modern car and wants something reliable. After a long discussion we went on about classic cars. I recommended a C-body. There is a car local to me that is a Fury III with a 360. It is an amazing clean survivor and needs very little work.

He likes it a lot. I was very impressed with how much life the 360 has in such a big car.

What kind of fuel economy can be expected out of a Fury with a 360? Anything to look out for? I have never dealt with a small block V8.

I had one of those 73 Furys. It was a very nice driver. A lot of the positive feel is in the tune and suspension/steering set up. Love to see pics.
My wife has been saying she would like to go back to a 70 Fury, if I can give her heated seats.
1691975936678.png

Last edited:
Economy isn’t a word associated with carburetor equipped V8 land barges of the 70s. At least not favorably in MPG braggadocio!

I’m aware of that, I’m just looking for the number to answer the question. It is what it is…
On a 50 year old car you’ll more than likely have to find out the old fashioned way. Nobody can nail down what you are going to get today. I’d say if you tried your best to light foot it you could get 15mpg average at best. I’m sure others will chime in with 30mpg plus with a 440 pulling a camper. But that is what it is too.

Back in 1974, a dealer on the South Plains of Texas did an economy run. 55mph was the national speed limit back then, so the factory cruise controls were set to that speed. The '74 big Fury 360 2bbl did 19.6mpg in their (about) 100 mile test, most at 55mph. Using the Shell station across from the dealership. So the "easy-foot" 15mpg could be reasonably accurate. Depending, of course, on driving style and traffic conditions. Maybe closer to 17 on highway trips, possibly.

In reality, the 360 tends to be a good match for that car. Fast enough to not get in most anybody's way and economical enough to not cost too much. Not too much less power than a 400 2bbl, in normal use.

That's a nice color combination. For general principles, check the side pockets in the trunk for rust and such. Plus the rh frt footwell area for leaking a/c housing and such.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

A 2022 Charger 3.6 gets 19 city 30 highway. And you better believe if they could do better, they would.
If you wanted to come up with a car that consumes the most gas while delivering the most dismal performance, American full size cars in 1973 is the place to start looking.
I’m not bashing them. I love them. But that’s the reality of it.

A 2022 Charger 3.6 gets 19 city 30 highway. And you better believe if they could do better, they would.
If you wanted to come up with a car that consumes the most gas while delivering the most dismal performance, American full size cars in 1973 is the place to start looking.
I’m not bashing them. I love them. But that’s the reality of it.
1973 is the last year before the emissions regulations truly went rampant. I will not buy a car with cats, lean burn etc.

One other thing, put a new timing chain set in it. Cheap insurance!

CBODY67

So I have been daily driving the car for about a week and a half, working on it slowly but ironing out major flaws.

The previous owner said this car was his baby, but some egregious concerns included the Kickdown spring missing, the jank-*** stereo system that was hacked into the car, the wiper switch wires being live and exposed under the dash, and the A/C compressor having a spot where it locks up.

I am currently working on getting the 360 in top shape. I drove it back from the seller’s house and it made the trip, but was not happy.

The first thing I did was install the missing Kickdown spring and the car would drive less like a dog.

Next, the idle speed was improperly set, so running the engine hot with the high beams on in neutral revealed 600rpms, raising it to 750 rpms made a huge difference in smoothness.

My latest task is a tune-up. I replaced the original PCV valve, cleaned and reoiled the breather, installed NOS Champion N13Y spark plugs and new Mopar Performance wires. I’m waiting for the NOS tan cap and rotor to come in. Misfires are all but gone!

IMG_3720.jpeg

Almost every time I hear something about "a car being somebody's baby", I always see something which results in a response "What were they thinking?" or "Did they know what they were doing" in some changes made to the original vehicle. The majority of the time, unfortunately.

Keep on hacking away at those things and putting things back "right".

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The next repair items are the battery tray, hold down and a restoration yellow cap battery. The next maintenance is an oil change, brakes and wheel bearings. I’m all about making this car as nice as possible.

That is an economy car so far as something that's comfortable to drive.

Lack of dollar appreciation, lack of super expensive parts, lack of massive labor charges, lack of undiagnosable problems............

Buy something for 10k, drive for 10 years, don't spent 10k on repairs, sell for 10k, repeat as needed.
What's not to like?

That is an economy car so far as something that's comfortable to drive.

Lack of dollar appreciation, lack of super expensive parts, lack of massive labor charges, lack of undiagnosable problems............

Buy something for 10k, drive for 10 years, don't spent 10k on repairs, sell for 10k, repeat as needed.
What's not to like?
I work on late model Lincolns all day. I’m sick of the crap of modern cars. The needlessly over complicated procedures, Federally mandated equipment that causes more harm than good, the complexity as a result of creature comforts like smartphones and as of late AI integration.

Lincoln MKX water pump $3500
C-Body water pump $350

I had a serious bad attitude about late model cars.
So, this year I bought up a dozen no rusters from the 60s and 70s. Mopar, Ford, GM.
That fixed it.

Last edited:
Back