1973 Plymouth Fury

1973. Front disc brakes, electronic ignition, isolated K frame snd rear leaf springs..
Whats not to like on that Fury? Good choice for a daily driver.

I work on late model Lincolns all day. I’m sick of the crap of modern cars. The needlessly over complicated procedures, Federally mandated equipment that causes more harm than good, the complexity as a result of creature comforts like smartphones and as of late AI integration.

Lincoln MKX water pump $3500
C-Body water pump $350
In your opinion, do you believe that 50 years from now a person will be able to diagnosis and repair a 2023 Lincoln? Or any 2023 car?
I think all the gee-gaws and do-dads they put on them now will be so expensive to replace plus the frustration of working on the dang things will make it impossible.
The difference between the old cars and new is staggering.
As stated earlier, 1973 Fury’s have all the desired standard features that the previous models lack. So you’re starting with great platform right out of the gate!

In your opinion, do you believe that 50 years from now a person will be able to diagnosis and repair a 2023 Lincoln? Or any 2023 car?
I think all the gee-gaws and do-dads they put on them now will be so expensive to replace plus the frustration of working on the dang things will make it impossible.
The difference between the old cars and new is staggering.
As stated earlier, 1973 Fury’s have all the desired standard features that the previous models lack. So you’re starting with great platform right out of the gate!

Absolutely not. Take the Lincoln Aviator, great SUV that has 400hp, 18 mpg, super comfortable, great features, but it’s also a dumpster fire on wheels that Ford should have taken more time to develop before “unleashing” it on the public.

Where modern cars have made improvements in economy and safety, they sacrifice ease of repair and to some degree - comfort. You can feel every pebble on the road, the seats while being able to be adjusted to fit your backside are sometimes as soft as a church pew.

The 73 Fury is a wonderful car. I don’t think I have ever had a car around that was as nice as this. My driveway has a 1972 Valiant and Imperial, and a 1973 Fury and Imperial. I am ok with that since these cars are so simple compared to what is new.

Absolutely not. Take the Lincoln Aviator, great SUV that has 400hp, 18 mpg, super comfortable, great features, but it’s also a dumpster fire on wheels that Ford should have taken more time to develop before “unleashing” it on the public.

Where modern cars have made improvements in economy and safety, they sacrifice ease of repair and to some degree - comfort. You can feel every pebble on the road, the seats while being able to be adjusted to fit your backside are sometimes as soft as a church pew.

The 73 Fury is a wonderful car. I don’t think I have ever had a car around that was as nice as this. My driveway has a 1972 Valiant and Imperial, and a 1973 Fury and Imperial. I am ok with that since these cars are so simple compared to what is new.
You’ve summed it up perfectly! I cuss like a madman every time I have to work on the newer cars. So many wires and connectors for them that might be causing an issue after a few years of service. Plus the extent of engineering employed to make mechanical things as cheaply as possible while piling on touch screen operated bull crap and frivolous features that inevitably fail. Makes me long for a Model A Ford!

I have a 1992 Riviera as a daily driver, has the digital dash, the odometer reads "ERROR" I have a 73 Suburban wagon, the speedometer doesn't work. Which do you think I have any chance of fixing ?

Once I get the wagon in decent working order, it will be a much better ride, no matter the gas mileage.

Update: the car stalled out on me in traffic yesterday, and it would always run poorly in the mornings and amazing in the afternoons, but with the new spark plug wires the misfires are gone totally.

So I replaced the distributor cap and reset the timing back to stock. The car drove wonderfully and was doing well.

Digging into the dash again, I found that I need a wiper switch after doing some diagnosis. Also, that the radio is bad and needs work. I will be replacing the speakers while I’m in there too.

I filled it up today and the carburetor decided to let go while I was pumping gas. So I goosed it the 2 and a half miles home and it stalled out rolling into the driveway.

I ordered a rebuild kit, and power valve from Mike’s. Now waiting for time to rebuild the carburetor.

I replaced the master cylinder, now I need to bleed the brakes. Tie rods, and steering parts are next.

Some of it. For driving.
Looking for more.
I don't fixate on the defects so much if I can drive a different car every day.

P1010015 (2).JPG
P1010014 (2).JPG
P1010006 (5).JPG
P1010005 (5).JPG
P1010004 (8).JPG

1696561061681.jpeg

Last edited:
So I replaced the distributor cap and reset the timing back to stock. The car drove wonderfully and was doing well.

Digging into the dash again, I found that I need a wiper switch after doing some diagnosis. Also, that the radio is bad and needs work. I will be replacing the speakers while I’m in there too.

I filled it up today and the carburetor decided to let go while I was pumping gas. So I goosed it the 2 and a half miles home and it stalled out rolling into the driveway.

I ordered a rebuild kit, and power valve from Mike’s. Now waiting for time to rebuild the carburetor.

I replaced the master cylinder, now I need to bleed the brakes. Tie rods, and steering parts are next.
Those Holley 2 barrel carbs were junk from new.

If I was going to put any effort into rebuilding a carb and fuel economy was a concern, I'd be doing a Thermoquad and changing the intake manifold accordingly. Driven with fuel economy in mind, they will always do better than a 2 barrel and really haul the mail when driven with enthusiasm.

Kevin

If I was going to put any effort into rebuilding a carb and fuel economy was a concern, I'd be doing a Thermoquad and changing the intake manifold accordingly. Driven with fuel economy in mind, they will always do better than a 2 barrel and really haul the mail when driven with enthusiasm.

Kevin
The Holley 2210s I've had always worked flawlessly, provided the center air cleaner stud was not tightened too much. When I put a new-from-Holley 1970-spec 2bbl on our '66 Newport (to replace the Stromberg WWC that was on it, OEM), the first trip I took in it after that (when the national speed limit was 55mph), it got close to 21mpg. Off-idle response was better, too, once I put the thick OEM base gasket on it. Chrysler later came out with a fix kit for the air cleaner stud issue.

I always liked TQuads, but I was not impressed with the 9801 I got for my '67 Newport 383 4bbl. No real advantage to it over a stock Holley 4160 (which is on it now). As bulletproof as Rochester QJets might be, the Holley 4165s were better, to me.

If I was going to adapt a 2bbl to a Chrysler 400, it would be a Rochester 2bbl with 1.69" throttle bores. It should bolt right onto where the Holley 2210/2245 goes, with some significant fab to make the automatic choke work. Check the size of the holes in the Chrysler manifold to see if they might be big enough, first, though. Should be close to 400+cfm, stock. On the Chevy 350s which came with that carb, they "drove" pretty dang close to as good as the OEM QJets did in normal driving. A good compromise size.

Regards,
CBODY67

Kevin
This car has not been touched under the hood except spark plugs. The carburetor has never been disturbed/rebuilt or anything so it’s just age.

If anything the ThermoQuad on my 73 Imperial is a big turd.

So it turns out I bought a Spring Special Fury!
Would be great to see photos of the interior and the fender tag!

Regardless, this Fury looks like a solid purchase. I would change the belts and hoses, if you have not yet done so -- see my Medina thread (starting with post #43 here) for suggestions by way of a list of things that I like to replace on (most) C-bodies after I acquire them.

Last edited:
Would be great to see photos of the interior and the fender tag!

Regardless, this Fury looks like a solid purchase. I would change the belts and hoses, if you have not yet done so -- see my Medina thread (starting with post #43 here) for suggestions by way of a list of things that I like to replace on (most) C-bodies after I acquire them.
It’s off the road, taken down by bad battery cables. I will be cleaning it up over the winter and freshening it up.

Back