SOLD 1974 440 HP block

Status
Not open for further replies.
only way a 400 has forged crank in if it was in front of a 4-speed, and that is not always 100% the later the model the less chance. the vibration dampener will tell thin (about a inch) its forged, thick ( about 1 1/2 inch)cast this all goes out the window if someone has been in there. Took apart my brother in laws Challenger 77 440 cast crank 340 cast crank flywheel 4-speed with part of end cut off in order to get it to fit arrrrgh damn chevy dummies.

Thank you, the harmonic balancer is like the 66-71 style. I have been meaning to take it apart to check. Now curiosity is getting the better of me. It's time!

You might have a good/rare piece or a mismatch of parts put together without knowledge good luck

400 engine

Talking to you guys got me somewhat off my Butt, so what I know now is It has a casting dated 12-3-72, and boss is stamped 12-20-72. J 400. It has a 1970 four barrel Intake Manifold, and 1969 Water pump housing, The heads are 906 with double springs. As I said the harmonic balancer is the 67-69 style. I pulled the intake and valley pan, and the engine looks like new. Cam, lifters, pushrods look like it was just rebuilt. No grease, signs of heat or anything. I can't for the life of me remember where I got it, although I do now remember trading it to Wayne along with $200 for a rust free 1971 superbee,four speed car with the sunroof, in B5 blue. No engine or transmission in the car.That was another dumb move, selling that car for 600.00 to a guy in Missouri. I'm now moving the engine to the hoist, to lift it up and remove the pan.
The machine work so far is excellent, I'll probably fall over if there is a 440 crank in it,and it has sat around for twenty years. Or, somebody screwed up. I love puzzles!

only way a 400 has forged crank in if it was in front of a 4-speed, and that is not always 100% the later the model the less chance. the vibration dampener will tell thin (about a inch) its forged, thick ( about 1 1/2 inch)cast this all goes out the window if someone has been in there. Took apart my brother in laws Challenger 77 440 cast crank 340 cast crank flywheel 4-speed with part of end cut off in order to get it to fit arrrrgh damn chevy dummies.
I totally understand. Years ago before I knew better, I tried to put a four speed behind a 383 auto from a Chrysler, and had no luck because the crank was too shallow for the transmission shaft. I learned to ask somebodyfor advice after that!
I recently Inherited a 74 440 HP engine, and found that all HP 440 engines at least up thru 74' were Forged crank engines,and only 148 chargers, and around 80 roadrunners came with the 440. This engine definitely came from a charger,according to the VIN# on the block and my friend Wayne clearly remembered junking it out, around 1984. So. with my curiosity up, I've checked five 440 forged crank engines, even non HP, and the cranks were drilled for sticks. However, Ma Mopar declined to drill the 383, unless it was a four speed, and the cast crank 440 . go figure!

Not knowing that you need a crank that accepts a 4 speed or not
has sent many plans askew.
And the six pack crank damper has also led more than one person down the wrong path.

Posted via Topify on Android

I didn't want to bring up the 440 six pack stuff since we were talking low deck engine, stuffing those in a b engine is even more work, but there was a time when they were the good stuff now you can find at least one set at carlisle every year without even looking for them, not to mention the poor slob that found them too late or held on too long to get the good money.

I've been offered 6 pack rods and pistons for free just so he could make more room...
They're basically worthless except for scrap weight value or the anally obsessed rebuilder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back