SOLD 1974 440 HP block

Status
Not open for further replies.

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
I'm going to put this over on FBBO too but wanted to give you guys a crack at it too.
The casting date is very difficult to read but I think it's 5-9-74 and the top pad reads 4T440 HP and below that 7-3. It does have a partial VIN # on it and reads 4D35463, that's how it reads but maybe there should be a 1 after the D? Anyways it measures about .020 overbore currently and includes the main caps.
I have not had this checked by a machine shop but it appears to be in good shape.
located in the Detroit area, obviously and can be picked up here or I am open to shipping but I'm not setting it up or paying for it.
asking $400 obo.
I also have 9 sets of 906 heads, 2 sets of 346 heads and a set of 452s, all cheap cores for rebuild but prices vary a little by date code but start at $50 a pair.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is sold!

1969 440HP GTX engine

052.jpg051.jpgHello Dettmanhere is a picture of my most recent find in a barn, rated r for GROSS! kepp in mind it is an actual 69 GTX 440 magnum engine,sitting where mice found it.

051.jpg

052.jpg

Now that's a damn shame!

Believe it or not, The machine shop said it cleaned up, no cracks, standard bore. YEAH! I also have a 1974 440HP engine complete assy. They were actually forged crank engines. Mine came out of a 1974 charger in 1984, and is a really clean engine, all original except carb.

pretty PISSY, if I may say so! I can't figure out how the mice removed two pushrods, and put them in the valley? The valley pan was mostly gone, I'm told mouse urine is caustic as hell!

The rats sent the mice over to try and sabotage the Mopar because they were sick of being beat at the track.

Another question for dettman and commando: I have a 400 engine, with a 69'roadrunner heads and Intake on it. It also has a forged crank. It ran very well 15 years ago. what is it? I hate to take it apart just to find out!

How would we know? The heads should be 906 castings and I don't know much about the 400 as I have never had one. It seems you already know more than we could by stating it has a forged crank. I wouldn't even be sure if the 400 ever came with a forged crank, did it?

Sorry about that, I honestly never heard the engine, and even if I took it apart, I couldn't be sure what was done. my question comes from noticing you guys seem to be more knowledgeable on 400 engines, I'm not. No offense Intended. I was hoping maybe this combo was done before. I don't know much about what the cast/forged crank Interchangeability is. I thought about putting a 440 crank in it to stroke it. can that be done?

Last edited:
Stock 400s were all cast cranks from the factory. A 440 crank can be put in a 400 one of two ways: Line bore the block to the 440 journal size or grind down the crank journals to the 400 journal size.

Sorry about that, I honestly never heard the engine, and even if I took it apart, I couldn't be sure what was done. my question comes from noticing you guys seem to be more knowledgeable on 400 engines, I'm not. No offense Intended. I was hoping maybe this combo was done before. I don't know much about what the cast/forged crank Interchangeability is. I thought about putting a 440 crank in it to stroke it. can that be done?
I would be checking to see if that forged crank in it is in fact already a 440 crank. As Mr C states, all 400's originally had cast cranks, have you had the pan off to check the crank?

No need to apologize, I may have sounded abrasive which was not my intent. We like to think of ourselves as a room full of guys bench racing and talking about our toys. After the above question for us we would have slugged you on the shoulder lovingly, of course and said "how the hell are we supposed to know?" That being said I didn't think there were any forged cranks in the 400s.

Another question for dettman and commando: I have a 400 engine, with a 69'roadrunner heads and Intake on it. It also has a forged crank. It ran very well 15 years ago. what is it? I hate to take it apart just to find out!
Before I stick my foot in my mouth, I would need to see a picture of the snout on the crank.

NO problem! I'll take a picture of it. it is like the ghost engine in the shed. I acquired it from a very good friend in 2004. I asked him why it was set up that way, and he didn't know. I asked him where he got it? He laughed, and said: from you in 1992! I have no idea where I got it the first time, or even owning it. It stares at me whenever I walk by!
seriously, when it gets above 32 degrees again, this will be the year I open it up. All Wayne said was, "it was fast".

Sounds like a leave well enough alone candidate, now you just need to find something to drop it in so you can try it out.

I'm rebuilding an A body 383 engine for my 69' cuda,(I know, I didn't mention that one, sorry!) maybe I'll stick it in there, if the pilot shaft is deep enough for a four speed. It is an F8 Green fastback 383 four speed, build day 1 august.

Of course that little tid bit needs to be followed by some pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back