1974 Fury, car stereo install

im working up a system right now myself. the stuff isnt even delivered to me yet.

i just bought CTaudio 4" rounds for the dash - i have a single 4x10(probably) center dash mount speaker spot (68 fury) - will rig up a bracket out of mending plates and mount 2 qty 4" round speakers into that spot.

i got CTaudio 5.25" rounds + corssovers + tweets for my center console that is still in progress.

i have pioneer 6-way 400w 6x9s in the rear deck stock locations - they were in the car when i got it i dont even know if they work yet.

um, power. critical subject here. i say leave the stock wiring alone and totally add new wiring for this.

1st thing - always fuse. always as close to the batty/ power source as possible.

you have to decide if you want it all to come on via key, or toggle switch, etc. depending on that answer depends on how you feed your power to it.

all teh devices will have a 5V trigger on/off wire aux or remote wire, in addition to the main 12v feed.

personally - this is how ive done it on other cars, and will do so again:
4ga fused (got 100A on this one right now) power from batty to a 10-circuit fuse block i add under dash.

under the dash somewhere, on good body or frame metal, add you a home depot rope cleat or something - drill and tap a bunch of holes in the face of the cleat and put phillips screws in all the holes. this is gonna be your neutral buss bar. terminate all POWER negs here. NOT speaker negs. just power. this bar can be used for any NEG termination now, doesnt have to be radio related.

so now you have brought new, unmolested, clean power up to the dash area.

again - depending on what you are planning on powering (4000w monoblock amp??) - you either bite off the 4ga wire feeding the fuse block, or use a fused position on the new block to power your devices. in my case i will extend the 4ga from this new fuse block, down the driver side doorwell/footwell (there is a wire track there already) and back to the trunk where the business is.

if you ARE running monoblock amps and caps and all that, run a clean 0/4 power all the way from teh battery to the trunk. dont bite off the fuse block you just added.

im looking at 600x4 or 600x6, then a mono amp for the bass, so im not trying to blow my windows out... you may be :)

i have not picked my amps, woofs, or deck yet. looking at the 1DIN pioneer with 7" display. looking at CTaudio and lanzar 4/6 channel amps. my kid says the square isobarics are the best woofs you can get.

good timing on this post :)

lets spend money!

- saylor

Looks like you have a really professional car audio install. I'm not really into having a fancy setup just something to listen music with good quality and power, for example I'm planning to run one single amplifier (Kenwood Excelon X801) for subwoofer and rear speakers

What you did for stereo speakers holes? I'm planning to drill my panel

I knew someone who installed a 160 watt amplifier in his '78 Cutlass and found that if he listened to the stereo, even at moderate volume, for 10 or 15 minutes with the engine off, he couldn't start his car. These amplifiers can pull a lot of current and current is one thing that the old Mopar charging systems don't like. No matter how you wire the audio system in, that power has to come from the charging system. So, if you're considering more than one amplifier you may want to upgrade your charging system, especially if all the current in your car passes through the bulkhead connector..

As for the stereo itself, you can power the AM/FM unit directly from the power source to the factory radio, so that it will still turn on and off with the key. The new head unit will have a switched trigger wire that may be labelled "Power Antenna"or "Amplifier On" or something similar. This wire doesn't power the amplifier, it only tells it to turn on. The amplifier(s) are wired to get power directly from the battery. You will also need an unswitched power source, from the fuse box if possible, for the clock and station memory functions of your new AM/FM head unit.

Don't ground any of your speaker wires to the car.

I'm planning to run a single amplifier, a Kenwood Excelon X801 and I think his has a peak power of 1600 W (I think something like 700W RMS), my charging system is already upgrade, I'm running a CS130D 85 Amps alternator with a wire directly to battery (ammeter bypassed)

About the wiring I'm thinking about wiring the car stereo to the factory stereo wiring but the amplifier wired directly to a relay that will be wired to battery and activated only with the ignition key in "run" position, by this way I can control the amplifier is only getting power when the stereo should have power and if the radio is off but the key is in run position the amplifier power consumption should be something near to 0W, maybe 40 W or less

That car came with a stereo. So he had the holes.

I don't think you're understanding the issue.
If a car was ordered without a radio or a non-stereo radio, the dash came with the single center speaker hole.
If the car was ordered with a stereo, the dash had holes on the left and right only.
I have no way of verifying this but I'm imagining the mounts are there for all three.

And I'm damn sure someone will come up with a pic of a factory three speaker hole dash...

I don't think you're understanding the issue.
If a car was ordered without a radio or a non-stereo radio, the dash came with the single center speaker hole.
If the car was ordered with a stereo, the dash had holes on the left and right only.
I have no way of verifying this but I'm imagining the mounts are there for all three.

And I'm damn sure someone will come up with a pic of a factory three speaker hole dash...

I understood the situation and that's why I'm planning to drill the holes. Murray has one panel with stereo holes for about $110 including shipping but there's a panel on ebay with the center hole for about $55 including shipping so that's why I think is a good idea try to drill the stereo holes and take advantage of the center hole to install a center channel that will provide a better sound quality

This reply wasn't clear, thus my misunderstanding and repeating the obvious.

dsc02269-jpg.120473

What you did for stereo speakers holes?

This reply wasn't clear, thus my misunderstanding and repeating the obvious.

I think we're talking about different stuff (lol). My '74 has the stereo speakers holes and the center speaker for AM radio in the dash mount structure, but the top panel only has the center speaker, my idea is drill the tiny holes only in the top panel

I'm going to take a picture :)

A few weeks ago had the car stereo installed, everything works really good, I can listen the car stereo up to 4 hours before the battery starts dying, the unique problem is that I made a mistake while buying the front speakers and now I can't install the dash top metal (the speaker tweeter is too tall) so I need to have those speakers replaced. Any idea which speakers can be used?

IMG_20170419_214839930.jpg

hey boss -

i doubt you can remove that tweeter dome you will probably have to change speakers. you can get a set that is single coil midrange and separate tweeter with a crossover box or something.

i ended up with:
jvc marine deck
CT audio 5.25 mids + 1" tweets in front with crossover boxes
pioneer 6x9 rear deck 400w 6-way
single fosgate 12" 300w powered sealed box
crunch 1000.4 amp

its LOUD

the fronts are not strong enough probably due to them being mounted low below the dash at the console/hump area.
the CT audio 4" did not fit the front dash hole well - on the 68 the weird shape of the dash gets in the way of where the speaker has to sit, and I probably would have had the same problem you have with the tweet domes on top anyways. so i have no dash speakers right now. and all 6 channels of my amp are taken. to add dash speakers now would take another amp, or wiring parallel and kicking down to 2ohm or something on the front channels.

the radio tunes to 35 vol. ive run it up to 20 so far. still breakin it in. scared to pop something. like a back window.

My 78 NYB came with 2 front and 2 rear speakers. The aftermarket speakers just about fit perfect. I had to use a die grinder on one edge and had to relocate on speaker mounting bolt hole on the front speakers. The rear speakers bolted right up with no mods. I had to run speaker wires to all 4 speakers.

We temporarily hijack this thread with a personal note to Bob:

After three OEM radios crapped the bed, I was forced into it. :BangHead:
( FWIW, FM only, one color {blue}, 26 bucks {AMAZON} . :p )

PicsArt_05-21-08.25.58.jpg

nice my man! you even have a USB charger you just stepped that car into the 21st century!
No, my friend. This was not a step foward into the 21st century but a giant leap backwards in the preservation or originality. It was forced upon me and I relented in disgust. I had to take a shower to wash off the shame. It looks like ****...

Don't feel bad......

After all that B.S. converting mine from an automatic CB antenna to the regular power antenna and the new stereo and speakers.....the end of the antenna cable that plugs into the radio is broke so I'm going to have a find a replacement end/pin to get radio reception. Since I have an IPOD with 20,000 songs I doubt that I will take it apart to fix the antenna cable. I occasionally raise and lower the antenna mast for amusement.

Yeah, but those are $399 more than he wants to spend.
He just has to reach deep and spend some of that confirmation money..... He can't take the $10 bill that Uncle Otto and Aunt Berta gave him to his grave.

Like I suggested in another thread, you will be taking that dash apart again.:D
Yah. I know you are right... :BangHead:

He just has to reach deep and spend some of that confirmation money..... He can't take the $10 bill that Uncle Otto and Aunt Berta gave him to his grave.
What's the $25 Savings Bond my Godmother gave me on my 10th birthday worth now? Time to cash it in?

Last edited:
Back