1976 Gran fury wagon. Want to go from 440 to a 318

There are several members on this board, including myself, who when they were teenagers had performance cars..
3500 pound cars with 300/400/and even some 500 horsepower engines.. Not a 5000# wagon with a motor home engine.
And guess what, we still are not dead..
So again, John Hatchard, thank you for your lovely stories of doom and gloom that only help to re-enforce the desires
of an over protective parent who has very little trust or faith in their children...

Todays parents should have very little trust in their kids, and they should themselves even less trust as a parent! They don't teach kids **** about common sense, let alone having any parental supervision skills as a adult. At least when I was that age, I didn't go around drinking tide pods, or snortin drain-o, ajax, and God knows what else! And if I did, I'd get the biggest *** whoopin of my life! What would todays kids get, a trophy?

All we had was beer and fags and no money to buy either lol...
I did play space invaders for a while and my girlfriend said I was a NURD!
So I tuned up my Cortina and frightened her to death.
Bad mistake as she was gorgeous and a great loss...

You live and learn then regret foolish things you have done and said?

Selling my 69 Sixpack Superbee for £2500, still hurts me...

Bee.jpg

Last edited:
Funny how this thread turned from a question about an engine swap to a philosophical discussion about parenting! Anyway, I'm not a parent, but my 2 cents is that beginning drivers are much more likely to have an accident than more experienced drivers, so letting a beginning driver drive your classic car is not a good risk in my view. Besides the fact of the car possibly getting damaged, a car from the seventies isn't as safe as a more modern car regardless of it's massive size.

Ok it's been a very long time since I been on here. I went through a nasty divorce by her choice. She had a lawyer and I did not.some how in the end I got full custody of my son and the wagon I'd say I definitely came out on top.anyways moving on to the subject at hand. My son will be 17 next month.he can't stop talking about how he wants to drive the wagon and when it will be his. It has a very strong 440 infact it's too strong for him right now.i have a healthy 318 with tranny that I want to swap out? My question is ,is there a company that makes motor mount adapters or must I look for a k frame or subframe for a smallblock. Any advice at all would be greatfull
CONGRATS on getting full custody of your son!!!.....The kids are the important ones & that's what counts, so good for you! My two boys are gonna be 43 in June & we are closer than ever after my divorce (also her choosing) back in 1999. Things now sound good for you, so don't let anyone rain on your parade. Glad you came out on top!
On the other note, i would KEEP the 440 intact. There's a few things you could do to 'slow it down' while keeping it all stock & original, BUT I would not worry about that. I'm sure your son will 'learn' about the car & appreciate driving a vintage mopar wagon! If you do do the swap to a 318, DEFINATELY save your 440 for future. Good luck to you & your son!

Last edited:
Ok it's been a very long time since I been on here. I went through a nasty divorce by her choice. She had a lawyer and I did not.some how in the end I got full custody of my son and the wagon I'd say I definitely came out on top.anyways moving on to the subject at hand. My son will be 17 next month.he can't stop talking about how he wants to drive the wagon and when it will be his. It has a very strong 440 infact it's too strong for him right now.i have a healthy 318 with tranny that I want to swap out? My question is ,is there a company that makes motor mount adapters or must I look for a k frame or subframe for a smallblock. Any advice at all would be greatfull
What about keeping the 440 and putting an EFI on it where you can de-tune the performance. An even more affordable approach would be a Pertronix III, which allows you set a rev limiter which would not be a bad idea even with a 318. I appreciate your caution with a young driver. My daughters first car was a Mercedes 240d (a bonus was you could always hear her coming or leaving).

OMG Guys!

You are so cool, a Roadrunner at 17 WOW!

Deffo would have bought the HEMI GTX its a winner!

So everyone is off the Christmas card list for being so SMUG lol...

The GTX's are the best cars ever made!
I have had a 70 and still have a 71 in sassy.
Lucky enough to drive a 67 426 4-speed hemi GTX car back ten years ago.
Wow its the highlight of my Mopar life without a doubt...

So back on track, why spoil a factory 440ci car with a 318ci?

I have upgraded many smallblock Mopars over the years with 383ci and 440ci's engines.
Never thought about going the other way???

We have just done a 66 383ci Polara with a 512ci engine and its better on gas than the 383ci was!
Is it faster than the 383ci?
Sure is lol, and runs 13.00 'quarters' in street trim...

Can a 17 year drive it?
Don't see why not...

Would you be able to drive it in a London 20mph zone?
Sure can and its fun at any speed!

Would I let my 17 year old son drive it?
Sure would, if I was in there at all times...

The choice is yours, many parents think their sons are safe and sane!
Not when their numpty mates 'egg them on' and there is beer and drugs about...

Death is permanent and so is grief...

David's Polara at Brooklands.jpg

Polara 512 in aBAY.jpg

71 sassy GTX.jpg

Last edited:
The GTX's are the best cars ever made!
I have had a 70 and still have a 71 in sassy.
Lucky enough to drive a 67 426 4-speed hemi GTX car back ten years ago.
Wow its the highlight of my Mopar life without a doubt...

So back on track, why spoil a factory 440ci car with a 318ci?

I have upgraded many smallblock Mopars over the years with 383ci and 440ci's engines.
Never thought about going the other way???

We have just done a 66 383ci Polara with a 512ci engine and its better on gas than the 383ci was!
Is it faster than the 383ci?
Sure is lol, and runs 13.00 'quarters' in street trim...

Can a 17 year drive it?
Don't see why not...

Would you be able to drive it in a London 20mph zone?
Sure can and its fun at any speed!

Would I let my 17 year old son drive it?
Sure would, if I was in there at all times...

The choice is yours, many parents think their sons are safe and sane!
Not when their numpty mates 'egg them on' and there is beer and drugs about...

Death is permanent and so is grief...

View attachment 520946

View attachment 520947

View attachment 520948
Except we're talking about a Formal Wagon with a 440 that in its current trim a new Honda Civic could hand its *** to and I'm willing to bet the OP would have no issue with Junior driving a new Honda.

Kevin

I think it’s called sgs they have the conversion mount,I took out a 318 for a 440 went straight in

Todays parents should have very little trust in their kids, and they should themselves even less trust as a parent! They don't teach kids **** about common sense, let alone having any parental supervision skills as a adult. At least when I was that age, I didn't go around drinking tide pods, or snortin drain-o, ajax, and God knows what else! And if I did, I'd get the biggest *** whoopin of my life! What would todays kids get, a trophy?
Love to disagree with you, but sadly I can't. My son gets no trophies. He is finishing up his really tall '73 square body, just finished the second paint job in 3 months, first one did not go right at all, he persevered and got it done. Going this evening to get approval for his eagle project for Boy Scouts. We trust him till he gives a reason to not trust him. I'm sure he is experimenting with things , but keeps it hidden away showing responsibility, that's the way it works.
My first bought new was a 1986 Kawasaki 600 Ninja,
Screenshot_20220322-133845.png

Much like others I went in looking for this, but $$$
Kawasaki-Ninja-900-GPZ900R-Right-Side.jpg

Kept it in the showroom, and off I went to try and kill myself on a smaller bike

Last edited:
Back