1976 Gran fury wagon. Want to go from 440 to a 318

Love to disagree with you, but sadly I can't. My son gets no trophies. He is finishing up his really tall '73 square body, just finished the second paint job in 3 months, first one did not go right at all, he persevered and got it done. Going this evening to get approval for his eagle project for Boy Scouts. We trust him till he gives a reason to not trust him. I'm sure he is experimenting with things , but keeps it hidden away showing responsibility, that's the way it works.
My first bought new was a 1986 Kawasaki 600 Ninja,
View attachment 521728
Much like others I went in looking for this, but $$$ View attachment 521729
Kept it in the showroom, and off I went to try and kill myself on a smaller bike
Congratulations in advance to your son for finishing his Eagle. As to you for ‘training, trusting and letting him lead’. He’ll be a marked man for the rest of his life.
Failure is one of the best ways to learn!

So, I'm thinking you walked into that Dodge store to buy a used Plymouth and the salesman said, "Why buy used when you can buy this new Dodge for the same monthly payment?" lol
Awesome car!
The point I'm trying to make is I walked into the place wanting a 440 4spd GTX and when it came to what I could afford, it was a lowly 273 automatic Dart. Very traumatized. I've had performance and size issues ever since then.

Learned the real world at 18...

Ok it's been a very long time since I been on here. I went through a nasty divorce by her choice. She had a lawyer and I did not.some how in the end I got full custody of my son and the wagon I'd say I definitely came out on top.anyways moving on to the subject at hand. My son will be 17 next month.he can't stop talking about how he wants to drive the wagon and when it will be his. It has a very strong 440 infact it's too strong for him right now.i have a healthy 318 with tranny that I want to swap out? My question is ,is there a company that makes motor mount adapters or must I look for a k frame or subframe for a smallblock. Any advice at all would be greatfull

Sorry 76 Fury,
Your thread started out in pure innocence and look where we ended up!

It touched me on so many levels it was hard NOT to reply with 'home truths'.

I would loved to had a father who would contemplate me even driving his car, (it never happened ).
I went through a bad divorce and lost everything, but losing your children to a stranger is the worst of all...

But the point of this thread is lost on me?
Why change a rare and wonderful car into a 'run of the mill 318'?

You either trust him or you don't...

Life is a constant 'throw of the dice' every decision can be a life changer!

If you was my Dad, I would be a happy as a clam!

If I/he 'dishonoured that trust' then life will be a rocky road for him and me...

1975 fury crash test!

Unlike modern cars the design and weight was an issue to the folks inside.
Mass is energy and is hard to stop!

Lighter cars better built with airbags etc will save you in a crash.
Not every crash is someone's fault, its just an accident...

75 Fury crash test.jpg

Sorry 76 Fury,
Your thread started out in pure innocence and look where we ended up
@76fury has left the building. His last log on was on the 14th.

Everyone's "advice" has probably turned him off. As I said, we don't know all the circumstances and we shouldn't be judging or telling him how to raise his kid.

Am I aware of losing a child? Yes, I am. I lost my youngest son almost two years ago. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me and I still grieve and miss him every day.

My oldest boy took my Corvette to his prom. I got advice from friends not to do it, but he was fine. But that was him... He was probably more dangerous driving his own car if you really want to know. I would do it again in a heartbeat... Both my boys had a lot of "wheel time" in my cars.

But again, back to my point.... We don't know the dynamics of everything. His son might want the 318. Look at the prices on the gas pumps lately? Gotta put in a lot hours at Burger King just to fill the tank. None of us should give advice on what to do with his son. We should (like I did) try to help with the swap, or maybe even toss a couple ideas out on other possibilities.

We should (like I did) try to help with the swap, or maybe even toss a couple ideas out on other possibilities.
I believe it's reasonable to assume most of the replies were indeed trying to help by discouraging the swap which made zero to no sense to them.

Thank you for that because that's reality.
I should have been killed starting at 16 in a 64 LeSabre and ending up several years.ago.with a tuned new C6 Vette where the tires broke loose going into 3rd.
That's just the car part.
I,ve water skied and did a ramp jump, snow skied down a Black Diamond trail, walked on joists putting up rafters, wired a house, jacknifed a semi, went through my wife's menopause, jumped off cliffs in quarry ponds, spent an enormous amount of time in the worst slums at night.....

You're overthinking him driving a car.
Allow him to earn his man card the right way and make sure he wears a cap properly.
When I totalled the ‘65 Fury III convertible, 383 four-speed, head-on into a semi, at age 16, my Dad bought a ‘69 383 four-speed Super Bee. He said that a teenage boy “should have a hot car”. I’m still driving like a maniac, at age 65. Luck of the draw!

I believe it's reasonable to assume most of the replies were indeed trying to help by discouraging the swap which made zero to no sense to them.
And I agree with that. Some seemed to be more of a lecture.

I think the thing we may be ignoring is "very strong 440" where a lot are thinking "stock" 440. No idea of the 440 details, it may be something with a lumpy cam etc., not your typical station wagon motor. When installed in the truck, it's going to have a tunnel ram, so we can figure it's probably not a stock build. It may be more about practicality with the 318 making for a more practical ride, especially for a 17 year old.

Of course, I think the more practical thing to do is a 400 "smog" type engine if you want to slow the car down, but sometimes you want to use something that been gathering dust rather than spending $$.

I'm not going to read through all this so sorry if it's already been said.

Tell your son to get a job and buy his own car.

I learned that lesson at a very early age when I wanted the brand new then 10 speed bicycle for Christmas, my Father thought I didn't need a 10 speed or that maybe he thought I didn't take care of the previous bike he bought me for my paper route when I spent that money on Ape hangers and the StingRay Seat.

:lol:

Then it was Mini Bikes, built our own (me & a buddy) out of a bicycle with a reel mower cast iron Briggs & Stratton engine, some angle iron and washing machine pullies & belts from the dump. Then a used Mini Bike, then brand new one bought all via separate parts to fool Mom (knew better than to ask Dad) for taking me to Post Office to get Money Orders to get parts from a California mini bike supplier, told her it was just parts I needed for repair my used home built Mini Bike. Then it was a brand new motorcycle, had a job on the work study program so had the cash for brand new but needed Dad's signature on the consent form since I wasn't 21 years old. Got that with a promise too not join the Hells Angels and to put 320 grand insurance on it. Blew that up right away (Honda) and it spent most of the summer at the dealer under warranty repair 2x. Got another very low mileage used motorcycle for a good deal, didn't need permission on that since it was used. When the Honda came out of the shop the owner of the 1st PK21 I bought would take it in trade if I bought his 1968 Fury PK21 Cop Car, Done Deal! Rolled that car 2 times at high speed and dad wasn't too happy 'bout that but in the final days of his life he fessed up to me that he rolled his first Model A back when he was younger.

Never joined the Hell's Angels but when I had my first new Harley (XLCH in 1974) I dated the ex-girlfriend of the ex-president of the Devils Disciples MA M/C chapter. He was the ex-president because he was sentenced to life with no parole for murder. :wideyed: FUN TIMES!

Everyone is talking about power reduction and the kid wrapping it around the tree, but no one has addressed the elephant in the room. It's a STATION WAGON WITH BENCH SEATS! Does anyone remember their teen age years? Hormones! You're concerned with him going to fast in the road, what about going too fast with a girl? Pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, abortion, paternity lawsuits, etc...

If your going to give him a wagon, even one with a one barrel slant six, make sure you give him some pillows, a case of condoms and a roll of DIY window tint, why don't ya?

Wow. I can't believe I'm the only one to think or say anything about this.

Back