1976 Plymouth Gran Fury Suburban Wagon

Are you driving it in the snow?

Your wagon looks good enough that I would fix the rust issues and clean up the engine compartment.

It's not in bad condition compared to most Formal wagons (Mr. C's T&C is beyond exceptional) we see here.

"SPECIAL ORDER" was obviously some sort of fleet order. Hence the lack of woodgrain, but still with the "divider moldings" all the way around. The lower paint could have been part of a "Special Mask" paint option, too. But the seat upholstery screams "fleet vehicle" to me.

Miles?

A neat vehicle and a low-production number car, too. Just "a wagon", but one that wasn't used and then discarded, too much.

CBODY67

@1978 NYB What is normal rust for these? There is no floor under the driver.

@CBODY67 Some one added the green paint and pin strip. I can find spots of over spray. Plus the area I circled is just aluminium tape that if you lift up is white underneath. The mileage is 15,286 but I'm guessing it has rolled over once.
IMG_20190221_RUST.jpg

Liberal application of penetrating oil may fix the door latch. I had a similar issue with my Fury.

From what I can see, the exterior doesn't look that bad. If the floors are rotted out than I would just drive it until it falls apart.

Wow! This is very intriguing. That is definitely not a standard interior... looks like a taxi interior to me or, as I said before maybe a coroner car. I think a taxi would have had a more fuel efficient engine like a 360 or even a 318.

I think Coroner car or fire police would have had the 440 option, but I'm just guessing at this point.

What is with the alternator in this pic
img_20190221_4-jpg.jpg

Just the driver side floor along with the 3rd row seat floor and spare tire area. It's definitely a 50 footer. But I like to drive them so the way it sits is perfect. Might do a little rust prevention, as long as it stays derivable. Do they even make patch panels for these? It dose run and drive good, made the almost 200 mile trip home at 70 mph no problem. I think I will daily it.

Don't forget about www.hamtramck-historical.com and all of the sales/salesman/color-trim dealer sales guides in their "Library" section!

In one of the "Salesman's Guides", there's a complete decode of the data plate. What's where on the main data plate. Lots of other neat stuff.

The alternator? Looks like the optional 100amp that came with the electrical rear window defroster on the sedans? Possibly the same option on wagons?

Last edited:
The driver door did not want to open, so I opened it from the inside. Now the door latch striker wont latch. Wonder what broke. Any tips on removing the door panel?

Your latch is probably frozen. Mine froze the other day as well. I waved a propane torch around it, not enough to burn the paint. At the same time I sprayed it with penetrating oil (as best I could from the outside). It started working again. In the summer I'll coat it with something synthetic.

You've probably got a bunch of old, hardened grease and the weather ain't helping. Don't go nuts with the torch. The latch itself is pretty robust (they have to survive side impacts) but the linkage rods are connected with nylon fasteners, so you don't want to melt those.

Can't miss those Accel spark plug wires! "High Performance" stuff?

ONE thing I like about that 100A alternator is that it basically uses the late '60s mounting orientation, which lets the fuel filter be more accessible, in the open air, rather than hidden by the normal Chrysler alternator mounted lower.

K VON
Y39
Cheap interior.

Typically, we call this a “cop car”.

Let’s see if we can find a broadcast sheet..

Aren't the valve covers on the wrong sides with the one looks like a late 60's where the heater hose crosses over ?

M33 = Body Side Moldings
N21 = Air Pump
N95 = Emissions Control System and Testing, California
Y39 = Special Order
END

EW1 = Upper Body Color: Spinnaker White
U = US Market
G01 = Defroster, Rear Window
G63 =Right-Hand Outside Remote Mirror
H51 = Air Conditioning - Manual Controls
J8[3] = Roof-Mounted Air Deflector

EW1 = Body Color: Spinnaker White (E = 1969 color)
D4F6 = Vinyl Split-Back Bench Seat w/Folding Center Armrest, Dark Green
MF6 = Upper Door Frame Color: Dark Green (M = 1976 color)
330 = Scheduled Production Date: March, 30
K2029? = Order Number (K = Special Order)

E85 = 440 CID 4-Barrel Engine
D36 = Heavy-Duty 727 Transmission
PH46 = Plymouth Gran Fury Custom Suburban, 3 Benches
T6D = 440 CID 4-Barrel Engine, Model Year 1976, Belvidere Assembly
172185 = Sequential Production Number

What is the white device attached to the steering wheel? Alternative horn? Does the horn pad work?

It is part of a steering knob. No the horns don't seem to work, but I haven't looked into that yet.

It is part of a steering knob. No the horns don't seem to work, but I haven't looked into that yet.

The horn is not hard to fix.

If your plan is to keep the wagon you can get FSM's (Field Service Manual) pretty cheap on EBay and they have troubleshooting and wiring diagrams.

You can also get paper and CD copies from....

www.autobooksbishko.com

I forgot, you can get a factory parts book from EBay and Bishko which is extremely helpful for part numbers for your wagon.

Back