For Sale 1978 New Yorker 4D 60,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fender tag checks out with black paint and white leather interior. Chrysler didn't have a white dashboard or steering wheel option. Most were either red or black with the white interior. Green is very odd with TX9 black paint.

I'm still not convinced this was the last Formal produced. Chrysler Historical told me that 1978 production could of went as late as July or August even though they couldn't give me any specific info.

This one was one of the latest builds I know about. My 78 Newport was built in May. There are later ones. I believe Patrick in Okahoma had a 78 Salon that was a June build.

I have a thread somewhere on FCBO about the last Formal built search.

It's got me beat by 64 cars.

64358802-770-0-2x-jpg.jpg

78 nyb fender tag.jpg

It's been a long time since my seats looked like these. Same exact color combo on the inside.

cd7b953b-0992-4106-9a8f-2a90ec7dd11e-jpeg.jpg

You still have a chance to win by comparing the MDH values on the door sticker. The car in the add has 062011 (June 20, 11 AM). And yours?

Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a long wait till I can answer that question. The car is parked very close to another, and I doubt that I can get the door open enough to see the sticker. I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm back in the shop.

If it had 2,000 miles on it maybe.And came out of a sealed environment.And not a spec of rust.And a perfectly functioning Auto-temp 2 system.And a different color dash.Was a beautiful red interior out of the question at the factory?I think they ran out of parts on a friday afternoon because that dash and steering wheel in green is a real deal killer.Brougham Brummel !

Still needs an eyeball inspection. With the shiny new looking paint on the fender tag I'm thinking it had a recent repaint hence no pin stripes.

The seller mentions "lacquer" paint. Chrysler and Ford were OEM acrylic enamel. GM was lacquer. Since the early 1960s.

My first thought with the green instrument panel and seat belts was "build-out car". Green car with white leather interior would probably have looked like what we see here. June, I suspect, would be a bit early for "build-out" per se, especially when needed parts are concerned. August would have been a different story . . .

The other side of the deal might be explained by the build sheet? OR if the line workers made a judgment call on the I/P pad color and got some seat belts to match, IF a black pad/belts were not readily at hand on the assembly line?

Wonder how much of the price is dependent upon the car and how much on the extra NOS parts?

Rated CR was 8.2, so an actual 7.8 could be "reality". Cam specs were actually "wilder" than the old 256/260 cam, lift and duration. 190 hp was "net", not the prior "gross" rating. Still weaker than the '70 440s, though. AND in a car with more "heft" and a bit taller tires, with a 2.71 rear axle ratio. Be that as it may . . .

ONE bad thing. White interiors and blue denim jeans do NOT play well together. I'm out.

CBODY67

You guys and your speculation.

While this is an unusual combination, it's entirely correct, not a bunch of "leftovers". White could be paired with any available color back then.

Production doesn't work that way, not even in 1978. There were likely enough interior parts in inventory to build several interiors in any color desired on the day this car was built, if it really was the last one. Those unused parts get shipped to the Mopar warehouses when production ends. Or tossed in dumpsters and written-off. Or brought home in lunchboxes. Or given away legitimately with a "property pass" signed by management.

No Just-in-Time inventory back then.

The dash and seat belts must be replaced because Chrysler did offer only single-colored interiors onwards from 72. Or I think so, please correct if I´m wrong.

Chrysler did not offer white dashboards, steering wheels, carpets, or seat belts on Formals 74-78. This interior is correct and could of been a couple of other combination of colors too. Chrysler did offer white seats on Formals.

The dash and seat belts must be replaced because Chrysler did offer only single-colored interiors onwards from 72. Or I think so, please correct if I´m wrong.

I concur with what others are echoing, I believe it to be original in appearance and I wouldn't change that.

Chrysler did not offer white dashboards, steering wheels, carpets, or seat belts on Formals 74-78. This interior is correct and could of been a couple of other combination of colors too. Chrysler did offer white seats on Formals.

Lets go further. Do you or any other Formal guru know the reason for this?

Lets go further. Do you or any other Formal guru know the reason for this?
None of us were in the styling department at Chrysler 50+ years ago. Sorry.
Anybody offering an explanation to this is merely flapping their lips.

I do remember that all the Formal dash pads were manufactured tan color and then dyed to the colors offered by Chrysler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back